PDA

View Full Version : age limits and e6 shows

jdrawmeasheep
09-16-2008, 07:35 PM
as many of you know, many of the venues of the e6 holiday tour are either 18+ or 21+. so i say its time to practice your activism and email the hell out of them!! please post the email addresses of the youth hating venues and hopefully the older people of the townhall will remember the time when they couldnt drink legaly and help us go to a once in a lifetime show.

lets start off with the first show of the tour, the local 506- info@local506.com

im very passionate about going to this show and plan on taking a bus all the way to chicago if this doesnt work out. as fun as it seems, i would like to take the easy way out.

lucyisabanana
09-16-2008, 07:52 PM
learn to McGlovin
grow a fancy mustache

ESMEOLYVE
09-16-2008, 08:11 PM
mpshows@gmail.com <<< the best bet.
or info@bottomlounge.com

This is for the bottom lounge in chicago. Most unfortunately, it is a 21+ show and I am a mere, but very mature, 16 and a half (even though that half counts for nothing I thought I'd throw it in for good measure). I understand there's probably liquor and whatnot at this event, but they can "sharpie the hell out of me" as to be marked as quite underage. This seems to be my only option because I don't have "adult supervision" in driving down to Bloomington and coming home at 3 in the morning- my parents don't trust me, evidently.
I fear an event like this will never happen again in my lifetime. I fear I'll never get to experience something like this. I've been a ridiculously huge fan of all things Elephant 6 since my first encounter with Neutral Milk Hotel and the beautiful genius that is Mangum back in the 8th grade. Things just took off from there, obviously.
Please please help me! I'll email for you if you email for me. =D

ESMEOLYVE
09-16-2008, 08:30 PM
"FYI, the age policy has nothing to do with Local 506, but is set by the state Ė if they had their way, we would be 21+ but I fought to be 18+. I know it sucks for anyone under 18 but in honesty, there isnít a lot I can do...glenn"

email from local 506

ggrisamore
09-16-2008, 08:48 PM
"there isnít a lot I can do.."

email from local 506

I imagine this will be the kind of response you get from most places.

pinocchio
09-16-2008, 09:00 PM
Basically it's to keep out kids, cause no matter what anyone tells you... they suck!

radiowires
09-16-2008, 09:07 PM
he didn't say, "there's nothing I can do".

maybe he can do something. Write back and ask if there's any possible way you can get in, for example if accompanied by an adult over 21 who is a relative.

Uncle radiowires.

p.s. another issue with the 506 is you have to be a 'member'. it's just a formality because of the fucked-up liquor laws in NC. but they choose to serve liquor there (god bless em) instead of just beer & wine, and they're in a college town, right next to campus, and so the state gives them grief. I don't know why e6 chose that venue but the New Sound of Numbers played there a while back so it's probably just a known quantity for the tour organizer... unforch. Frankly it seems like a really small venue for the show.

ESMEOLYVE
09-16-2008, 09:26 PM
That sucks. But yeah, I guess I could do some of that.
It doesn't matter to me though- NC is way too far away for me. I'm just emailing for the sake of young people who live near there.
I need Chicago to be all ages. :(

quixoticgoat
09-16-2008, 11:18 PM
eh, i understand in a way. dont get me wrong. i remember being super pissed off at every single show i missed because the high noon saloon in madison is 21+ basically always. but i know in madison you're totally fucked if you have your license revoked. i dont even think they are signing anymore liquor licenses here because of the uw students drinking themselves stupid.

i think its funny that i'm posting this while intoxicated.

graham
09-17-2008, 04:55 AM
All-ages or 14+ when accompanied, and wristbands for those who can get drunken.

That's what'd happen if I ruled the (school) universe.

I Rule The School
09-17-2008, 05:25 AM
Here's something I don't understand about America (or Britain for that matter...) Why would there be an age limit for music shows? I just don't get it. It doesn't make any sense...
Where's the freedom????? :confused:

quixoticgoat
09-17-2008, 05:34 AM
it also might be to prevent law suits. if an underage person gets wasted at a show and then drives home and crashes his car, they could sue the bar. they probably dont want to risk it.

Abel
09-17-2008, 05:40 AM
I'm sure that most venues are simply afraid of reprimand, whether it's from litigation or the law. Whether or not the venue owner strongly believes in the age limit being 21 (what are the odds that their personal feelings match the arbitrary age assignment?), it's the nature of capitalist businesses to want to make the most money possible. They'd be making more money if they let all of the crazy drunken wooohoooo partaaaayyyyyyyy kegstandkegstandkegstandkegstand teens drink at their place. So for the most part, the only reason venues don't like underage shows is out of fear of penalty for breaking an arbitrary stipulation of a law. This isn't a problem simply caused by the venues; it's generally common that people disagree with some laws. Morality is a lie.

I Rule The School
09-17-2008, 06:22 AM
it also might be to prevent law suits. if an underage person gets wasted at a show and then drives home and crashes his car, they could sue the bar. they probably dont want to risk it.

I hear what you're saying, but why let people drive when they're 16, vote when they're 18 but not see shows until they're 21? And why does it change according to the venue? Or is it different because different states of different laws????
The main incentive for me to get a car was to drive to shows, and quite frankly if it hadn't been for me living 60 miles away from Paris I probably wouldn't have a driving license...
Why don't they check IDs when someone buys alcohol or whatever? Let everyone in, and then make sure only the oh-so responsible grown-ups get wasted! ;)

radiowires
09-17-2008, 06:35 AM
BECAUSE AMERICA IS FUCKED UP

be glad you don't have to live with all these arbitrary age thresholds. It's fucking ridiculous. There's such a complex political history behind them that you don't even want to know. When I was a teenager in the 80s, the state I lived in was 18 for beer and wine. Then right when I turned 18, it went up to 19 with no grandfather clause. Then when I turned 19, it went up to 21.

I think age limits on drinking are detestable and I wish they were all eliminated. They are so condescending.

funeralpudding
09-17-2008, 07:11 AM
Why don't they check IDs when someone buys alcohol or whatever? Let everyone in, and then make sure only the oh-so responsible grown-ups get wasted! ;)

Yeah, kids would never sneak drinks in a darkened room. In the real world... they simply can't be trusted. Hell, I couldn't be trusted at that age. You'll lie, cheat, and steal - especially to score alcohol. I did. You probably have. It's just a fact.

I Rule The School
09-17-2008, 08:07 AM
Yeah, kids would never sneak drinks in a darkened room. In the real world... they simply can't be trusted. Hell, I couldn't be trusted at that age. You'll lie, cheat, and steal - especially to score alcohol. I did. You probably have. It's just a fact.

Even if they did, what's the big deal? It's like those open container laws, or the brown paper bag that's supposed to hide the bottle but then if you've got one, everyone knows what's in it! Oh, America, you make the rest of the world laugh. (until you decide to bomb the fuck out of us, that is...)
Is it better to let 16-yr-olds drive to Canada, get loaded there and make it back to Detroit or Cleveland or Buffalo, endangering thousands of drivers and cyclists and pedestrians?
And for the record, I didn't lie, cheat or steal to get wasted. My parents tried to force drinks on me and I always turned them down. Which proves my point : if you make it available, it's less enticing.

funeralpudding
09-17-2008, 10:40 AM
[quote]Oh, America, you make the rest of the world laugh. (until you decide to bomb the fuck out of us, that is...)
Except for that one time you were on your knees with your mouth graciously open for the GIs who liberated you from your Nazi oppressors. ;)

Is it better to let 16-yr-olds drive to Canada, get loaded there and make it back to Detroit or Cleveland or Buffalo, endangering thousands of drivers and cyclists and pedestrians?
Yeah. Let Canada deal with drunk teenagers if they want, but I doubt even in that state of stupidity they'd be foolish enough to drive like that across a post-9/11 border checkpoint.

And for the record, I didn't lie, cheat or steal to get wasted. My parents tried to force drinks on me and I always turned them down. Which proves my point : if you make it available, it's less enticing.
In a way, it's funny how often that's true. Especially about candy - I was never denied candy, and I only eat it occasionally, don't really crave it, whereas my wife, who wasn't allowed to have a lot of candy, can't get enough. However, if they sold joints at the store, it wouldn't diminish my (or the public's) demand, probably just the opposite - just as lifting Prohibition in the 1930's in the US hasn't curbed alcohol use.

And can we just be honest - drunk kids are often annoying and without a doubt more dangerous, especially not knowing their limits and binge-drinking.

radiowires
09-17-2008, 10:49 AM
And can we just be honest - drunk kids are often annoying and without a doubt more dangerous, especially not knowing their limits and binge-drinking.

same with drunk adults.
arguments for no age restriction on alcohol include the possibility of learning one's limits at a gradual pace, taking away the forbidden fruit aspect which helps to deglamorize it, and rendering moot the requirement to binge-drink in your dorm room, motel room, or house just so that you are adequately loaded up for a night on the town (and the roads). Fundamentally, though, if the government thinks that 18-year olds are old enough to fight and kill and die in a war, it should let 18-year olds have a fucking beer. But I'm not going to get into a big argument about this. I know there are a lot of different opinions. Just noting mine because it seems so patently awful to me.

I Rule The School
09-17-2008, 11:14 AM
[QUOTE=I Rule The School;171801]
Except for that one time you were on your knees with your mouth graciously open for the GIs who liberated you from your Nazi oppressors. ;)

Yeah, but that was my grandmother, actually. ;)

In a way, it's funny how often that's true. Especially about candy - I was never denied candy, and I only eat it occasionally, don't really crave it, whereas my wife, who wasn't allowed to have a lot of candy, can't get enough. However, if they sold joints at the store, it wouldn't diminish my (or the public's) demand, probably just the opposite - just as lifting Prohibition in the 1930's in the US hasn't curbed alcohol use.

I have to disagree. Statistics show that in the Netherlands there are less kids who smoke pot than in France or in Britain... It's no use threatening a kid with a jail sentence. If they want to do it, they'll find a way. It's much more clever to educate them and make sure they come to no harm.

Well we sure can agree on that.

quixoticgoat
09-17-2008, 11:27 AM
how i see it is that kids start driving at around the age of 16, right? personally, i didn't get my license till i was 18. so.. with at the MOST two years of driving under your belt, only two years of experience behind a wheel.. and then you throw alcohol into the mix too? i'm not saying that people who are over the age of 21 aren't effing stupid and don't try driving when they are wasted, but i think it would just make it worse if you are wasted AND haven't been driving for that long.

wilson
09-17-2008, 11:45 AM
as many of you know, many of the venues of the e6 holiday tour are either 18+ or 21+. so i say its time to practice your activism and email the hell out of them!! please post the email addresses of the youth hating venues and hopefully the older people of the townhall will remember the time when they couldnt drink legaly and help us go to a once in a lifetime show.

lets start off with the first show of the tour, the local 506- info@local506.com

im very passionate about going to this show and plan on taking a bus all the way to chicago if this doesnt work out. as fun as it seems, i would like to take the easy way out.

I'll go ahead and tell you you're way off base if you're emailing 506 about this accusing them of anything.

NC law says that for a business to serve liquor, you must either 1) make X% of your revenue on food sales, or 2) be a private establishment. Local 506, being basically solely a venue, obviously is not a food establishment, so they had to become a private club in order to serve liquor. People under the age of 18 aren't allowed in private clubs that serve alcohol in NC, it's as simple as that. There's no way you're going to change that without going to Raleigh and changing some laws.

The owner is a friend of mine, and--believe me--he would want you to come if it were at all possible. Running a club isn't exactly a huge earner, and he's not in the business of turning down business if there's any other way.

jdrawmeasheep
09-17-2008, 02:12 PM
well, it looks like worst has come to worst. its time to talk to the man himself and try getting sneaked in

pinocchio
09-18-2008, 12:06 PM
i was drinkin at age 7,... yo where's all the fine ladies in their panties

I Rule The School
09-18-2008, 01:05 PM
i was drinkin at age 7

Now that explains a lot... :rolleyes:

Butterscotching
09-18-2008, 06:07 PM
I'm underage but I don't drink, and I try to be respectful of others and everything, like not screaming randomly and banging into others. Personality discrimination rather than age is what we need.