PDA

View Full Version : Montreal people

mflat5
02-18-2004, 07:51 AM
I'm relatively knew to the OM camp -- having really found them fascinating via AArboretum and continuing from there. I own only a few of their albums and was curious about...

Anyone out there know more about the "supporting" band members of OM?

Is it true that Kevin had played multi-instruments for some of the recordings? Or has it always been a collaborative band? Did they go through the Guided-by-Voices syndrome for the E6 set? (as in changing band members upon members)

Thanks for the info.

Harnk
02-18-2004, 10:56 AM
they have had more than a few lineups...BP Helium was on Cherry Peel and the Bird Who Eats The Rabbit Flower...Bedside Drama, I may be wrong, was more of a solo-ish album...Gay Parade had more of a revolving door...and Coquelicot was a full band project...Andy and Derek left the band..and the newie is supposedly more of a solo project.

pepe
02-18-2004, 02:50 PM
Harnk, where did you here that Derek left the band?

From the beginning it was pretty much Kevin writing all of the parts himself and then Brian Helium and Derek would come in and play the parts he wrote. By Gay Parade, the Kevin, andy, Dottie, Derek, and Jamey lineup emerged and that was a bit more of a collaborative album. "Asleep in the Poppies" started a total collaboration througout the band and after Adhil's Andy left the band. And now I guess Derek left the band too.
That's about right, right everyone?

mflat5
02-18-2004, 02:53 PM
I appreciate the replies to the original message.

Overarcing reason I ask re: the lineup is b/c I find the basslines to be absolutely fantastic (perfect in line with the key / chord changes throughout their songs).

I play guitar and bass and have to admit that many OM tunes, including "Jennifer Louise" have intricate, difficult and completely "spacey" bass lines. As if many modern bands could play like that.

pepe
02-19-2004, 08:45 PM
The bass lines you love soo much are by Derek Almstead.