PDA

View Full Version : An interesting way to view Cloudmaking.

aewofij
09-08-2008, 02:47 PM
I just finished my first listening of the 2nd Imaginary Symphony for Cloudmaking, and it was so beautiful that it made me cry.

While listening to it, I thought of some parallels that I will most likely be kicked in the chest for mentioning. Yes, I know that Mr. Mangum hasn't gone insane, etc. But I thought that thinking of Cloudmaking as a metaphor made it interesting on quite a few levels. This has probably already been thought of, but... Yeah.

So, there's been some people saying that the story is about Mr. Jefferson Nigh Mangum, because of the name of the little boy is Nigh. However, I prefer to think that Nigh is perhaps the child of Jeff and Astra, or even just a son figure to Jeff. Mr. Ackerman (sp?) would be Jeff himself. And the idea of cloudmaking would the whole fame/"rockstar" schpeal.

I don't doubt any of your intelligences, so I won't spend the time retelling the story. But although I don't claim for this to be the way Julian was thinking about this story, I think this is a great way to look at it. It also seems a Julian-like thing to do, to create a symphony for his friend's kid. This interpretation gives me hope about Jeff's possible future reengagement to Neutral Milk Hotel (yes it is evil to hope but it would be AMAZING).

jdrawmeasheep
09-08-2008, 03:31 PM
first, i would like to say congratulations on your first post

now, i would like to say that the second imaginary symphony is a wonderful tale, one that is not to be thought of as one big metaphor with hidden referances and when played backwards reveals the secret's of life in some dead language. its ment to be enjoyed!

its a story :p

(in my oppinion at least)

p.s-Your biography isn't refering to the matty pop chart song, is it?!

Juttman
09-08-2008, 04:23 PM
How do I go about obtaining Second Imaginary Symphony?

I'm pretty new to the Music Tapes, and I've just recently heard about it.

Edit: Nevermind. I found it pretty easily after all.

jdrawmeasheep
09-08-2008, 05:06 PM
How do I go about obtaining Second Imaginary Symphony?

I'm pretty new to the Music Tapes, and I've just recently heard about it.

Edit: Nevermind. I found it pretty easily after all.

did you find the one that i posted?

Juttman
09-08-2008, 05:07 PM
Yeah.

jdrawmeasheep
09-08-2008, 05:08 PM
:D

i have the actual album in actual physical form :cool:

Juttman
09-08-2008, 05:14 PM
You're very lucky.

I'm listening now and I really like it. This is amazing.

jdrawmeasheep
09-08-2008, 05:16 PM
its hard not to be happy when listening to it which is the most magical part about it

aewofij
09-08-2008, 05:26 PM
Mr. Sheep, worry not! I managed to restrain myself from starting it when the MGM lion roars the third time.

This was just something that hit me as a possible interpretation; but all good stories can be interpreted in a million different ways, since that's what a good story is.

And, no, alas, 'tis not. I just really like baneenees and eeples. And, of course, the occasional peach.

jdrawmeasheep
09-08-2008, 05:29 PM
I just really like baneenees and eeples. And, of course, the occasional peach.

Thats understandable

Abel
09-08-2008, 05:39 PM
Yeah.Me too!

jdrawmeasheep
09-08-2008, 06:56 PM
Me too!

im gald i could help everyone out!

Abel
09-08-2008, 07:21 PM
It's going to spread like wildfire now that I have it.

jdrawmeasheep
09-08-2008, 07:52 PM
i would appreciate it if you just keep it in the townhall. im sure julian would appreciate it too.

unless your being sarcastic

Abel
09-08-2008, 08:09 PM
I was. <3

emmi_i
09-09-2008, 12:50 AM
did you find the one that i posted?

I did too. I'm not sure if i thanked you on that thread, so just want to thank you again for sharing that. :) it reminds me of stories I use to fall asleep to when I was little. it's nice to have something like that again.

el topo
09-09-2008, 06:54 AM
Years ago I received two copies of this album because Julian made a mistake, and didn't realize he'd given me one.

My wife and I gave it to my brother-in-law and his wife as a gift.

I would not be surprised if he has never actually listened to it. Nor does he know who the Music Tapes are.

A few weekends ago we stayed at their house, and I tried to find their CD collection to see if I could steal it back. Alas, their giant dogs followed me everywhere about the house and my attempted theft was foiled.

Otherwise it would have been nice to have given the extra copy away as a contest prize or something. (Really, I have no thoughts of eBay gold. My thoughts are pure. I was going to steal as Robin Hood does.)

quixoticgoat
09-16-2008, 01:40 PM
i just finished listening to the whole thing. wow. just. wow.

jdrawmeasheep
10-01-2008, 03:43 PM
i just noticed schedrevka playing at 19:42