PDA

View Full Version : K records and the wonderful Calvin

theSprout
02-15-2004, 06:15 PM
just got back from a Calvin Johnson show here in Exeter, and it was absolutely amazing. i have such stuff to say 'bout his performance, meeting him, understanding music, the ethos of the k label and stuff, but right now i'm drunk as a skunk who is drunk like bees on nectar and fruitbats on fruit and also nectar because they drink that too, o we like the moon (http://www.rathergood.com/moon_song/)..

anyway. tomorrow, when i'm sober, i'll tell you how great it was. in the mean time, what do you lot think to the label, the man, the music and what does punk mean to *you*?

i like robate me robot. oooh wrong topic.. must sleep nw, making coffee for unhappy students tomorrow, mm.
coffeenns

bytes

William
02-15-2004, 07:18 PM
Beat Happening is definetely one of my favourite bands of all times. K Records in general has lots of good releases as well.

Here is something I found on the K website a while ago with a typed-up excerpt of Calvin Johnson talking about punk, etc., from some movie, and its pretty interesting:

http://www.kpunk.com/fanzine/songs.html

Ouch!MyPhantomLimb!
02-15-2004, 07:19 PM
Calvin Johnson puts on the best show... ever.
I've seen him solo once and once with Dub Narcotic (Dub Narcotic were actually on their way to my town when they got into their big accident late last year) and both blew my socks all the way off.

Everyone walked out of the Dub Narcotic show a K Records convert.

William
02-15-2004, 07:24 PM
One of the ideas I have working at K is that we're not manufacturing products to be consumed. We are documenting artistic expession and we are making it available to people who might be interested in it and experiencing it. -- Calvin Johnson

Damn right.

Hey, gravedigger: ignite.

nervesandgel
02-15-2004, 09:57 PM
did anyone see the cops episode where calvin and company get pulled over and theres drugs in the car and they hand cuff calvin?

i like k records a lot.

i try to stray away from the word punk as much as i can. i personally don't belive it holds much value.

calvin is a great performer, although as a person i have witnessed bad days. but we all have them so i'll put it passed him.

William
02-16-2004, 10:47 AM
Was he seriously on a Cops episode?...heh..

Radiophobic Nate
02-16-2004, 11:19 AM
I saw him with the Dub Narcotic Sound System when they opened for the Blues Explosion at 1st Ave in Minneapolis. My friend Kevin got pulled from the audience to go on stage and play maraccas with them, where Heather, the drummer, did some sort of seduction song? It was awesome. I kind of hoped to talk to Calvin after the show, but I never saw him. Though listening to Kevin argue with Judah Bauer about an old Pussy Galore album was hilarious.

As for the word punk, I think it's pretty bankrupt. Just an umbrella term with a lot of vague trappings. Kids who shop at Hot Topic use it more than anyone.

[Edited on 2-16-2004 by Radiophobic Nate]

raydavies02
02-16-2004, 11:29 AM
my love for beat happening is staggering. i love that band, and i love calvin as well.

nervesandgel
02-16-2004, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by William
Was he seriously on a Cops episode?...heh..

yeh, they have his face blurred, but you can easily tell its him. you might be able to find it on the net, i'm not sure, my friend has a copy of it.
they get pulled over while driving through utah, and if you have ever driven through utah you know its easy to get pulled over if you have out of state plates.

i can't remember the whole episode, but i think they got pulled over for speeding, and they search the car and find a pipe. of course calvin was a loud mouth to the cops so they hand cuff him and make him sit or kneel on the side of the road.

pretty humerous.

Miss Teen Wordpower
02-16-2004, 05:37 PM
I met a guy a couple days ago who had the K shield tattooed on his left arm (it was small). He said Calvin tattooed it on him when he was sleeping. I don't believe this though . . . how do you not wake up? Plus, he said he worked at K but he didn't seem to know much about K so .. . . anyway, this story sucks.

Calvin's dance moves make me hawt.

Radiophobic Nate
02-17-2004, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by Miss Teen Wordpower
Calvin's dance moves make me hawt.
When I saw him he was wearing a shirt obviously too small for him, and from the bottom of this shirt hung his belly. Out there! Somehow I find your statement difficult to take seriously.

Ouch!MyPhantomLimb!
02-17-2004, 08:25 AM
Believe it, chicks dig him and his moves. A friend went into the Dub Narcotic show not knowing anything about independent music. Calvin kissed her hand, now she has a poster of him on her wall and is buying up the K catelog (not to mention a swingin t-shirt).
In the end, it's just that she wants him hardcore.

Radiophobic Nate
02-18-2004, 12:08 AM
...I don't get it.

Miss Teen Wordpower
02-19-2004, 10:24 AM
I said his dance moves make me hawt . . . I don't find him particularly attractive. But the dance moves definitely help in that area ;).

Radiophobic Nate
02-19-2004, 01:38 PM
I still don't believe you. :P

theSprout
02-21-2004, 11:22 AM
excuse me while i take a big, self-aggrandising breath, and pat myself on the back. today, i'm feeling special. for this, i blame Sunday's show.

(i drank too much beer on an excited mood; wall bouncing, as the saying goes, was my particular speciality that night. like a kid at christmas)

but calvin johnson; i can see his sensual appeal, aside from the 'legend aura' he can't help but to have. he's very intense; his gaze is unwavering, yet you don't necessarily know what he is gazing *at*. he moves in a strange way; my yoga teacher seems to move the same way, too, and i did see calvin fold himself in half before the show, so maybe that's it. but maybe it's to do with the accident. but all this is irrelevant. he's also strange; i couldn't help but think that. conversation was hard with him (off stage persona) shy, almost childlike... like he needed coaxing, perhaps. or maybe he didn't like me, which is easy (an over-excited drunk fellating-fan must grate somewhat)

anyway, the show ranks as one of the best i've been to in my gig going lifetime. there were only a handful of people; but not one of them appeared to be there out of chance. fans, one and all, it seemed. he told a story about prince, and then sang some songs, did some acapella (sp?) singing and dancing, dismounted the stage, and just played off the stage until the last song. the intimacy was apparent, as well as that damnable 'aura' thing, which kept us close but far all at once. what a paradox.

but the reason i enjoyed the show was because he made me think *i* could do that too (hence self-back patting). i, like many people here, sing songs to my bedroom walls, but have yet to get them out there. this i blame on my fear of my four-track. i don't know why, but it never sounds like i thought i would, and i don't know if that's good or bad, but i'm still worried. but yes. the show's ethos of one-to-one communication, group fun, intensity and collective identity revealed why music can be so lovely (the whole k records ethos). so DIY, it seems.

now, don't assume for a moment that i am in anyway implying that when i say 'i could do it too' i meant i could be as good as calvin, because i'm not him, i'm me, and i'm only as good as me, and me isn't too good and...

oh bugger. it was a nice show, and one of those ones that made me think that maybe one day a few people would listen to me sing some songs, and i could make them feel like i did.