PDA

View Full Version : Music Tapes for Clouds and Tornadoes

wilson
07-14-2008, 08:54 AM
And suddenly, it appears (http://www.mergerecords.com/store/store_detail.php?catalog_id=543)

wilson
07-14-2008, 08:59 AM
I'd recommend buying a physical copy of this and not just digitally, as there are listener-participatory aspects to the release.

Aqualad
07-14-2008, 09:01 AM
oh wow

lou2ser
07-14-2008, 10:07 AM
I'd recommend buying a physical copy of this and not just digitally, as there are listener-participatory aspects to the release.

Is there an advantage to ordering from Merge? Any pre-order gifts?

I'm probably gonna wait until Popfest to pick my copy up.

wilson
07-14-2008, 10:48 AM
Is there an advantage to ordering from Merge? Any pre-order gifts?

I'm probably gonna wait until Popfest to pick my copy up.

Merge preorders get a free poster, and are shipped to arrive on or around the release date (often arriving a day or two early).

However, I have a feeling posters will be available with purchase down at Popfest, which will also be a couple days before the release date. Plus, money-wise, it's a little better for the bands to purchase directly from them rather than going through the label (though the label is the generally second-best way to purchase for benefiting bands).

lou2ser
07-14-2008, 11:41 AM
Are there really versions of Freeing Song For Reindeer on the LP? The 1st one is different than the originally released version.

wilson
07-14-2008, 12:21 PM
Are there really versions of Freeing Song For Reindeer on the LP? The 1st one is different than the originally released version.

Julian rerecorded it, so it's all different than the one on the 7"!

lou2ser
07-14-2008, 12:22 PM
Julian rerecorded it, so it's all different than the one on the 7"!

Yeah, but two songs called the same thing on one album?

wilson
07-14-2008, 12:40 PM
ahhh, i see! One of them is actually "Freeing Song For Reindeer" and the other is "Freeing Song By Reindeer".

I meant to mention earlier, you can now listen to the full album streamed on the Merge catalog page linked in the initial post by clicking the "preview this release" link under the album art!

wilson
07-14-2008, 12:42 PM
Yeah, but two songs called the same thing on one album?

But I'm sure you own an album that has like ten songs titled "Green Typewriters" ;)

lou2ser
07-14-2008, 12:50 PM
But I'm sure you own an album that has like ten songs titled "Green Typewriters" ;)

True, but I thought I remembered one song being called Fleeing Song for Reindeer. I'll have to check when I get home.

wilson
07-14-2008, 01:38 PM
oh!

There've been various varied spellings on several songs on the album, but I guarantee you these are the final versions.

Aqualad
07-14-2008, 03:38 PM
freeing song for reindeer was on a 7"

theaddingmachine
07-14-2008, 07:32 PM
ahh! HOW EXCITING!

thekingisdead
07-14-2008, 07:46 PM
That was the best album I've heard in years. I can't bring any more of a response to mind, presently. Goddamn beautiful.

edit: I assume you guys notice you can stream the whole thing.

Dihnekis
07-15-2008, 01:26 AM
I just noticed you can stream the whole thing, and it is awesome.

sashwap
07-15-2008, 05:54 AM
this is good! i imagine it'll be a grower too. it's surprisingly stripped-down...i assumed that the reason it took so long to come out was that julian was overdubbing things like crazy. makes me wonder now what the actual delay was, especially since some of these songs have definitely been kicking around for a long time.

i just hope he doesn't wait another decade for the third album.

tralala
07-15-2008, 10:12 AM
hey, i'm not trying to steal the album or anything (i just pre-ordered the vinyl and am SO EXCITED), but has anyone transfered this stream into a mp3 form, so i can burn it onto a CD and listen to it in my car everyday for months and months?

A.M. Thomas
07-15-2008, 11:10 AM
Nimbus!

Stratus!

A.M. Thomas
07-15-2008, 11:10 AM
hey, i'm not trying to steal the album or anything (i just pre-ordered the vinyl and am SO EXCITED), but has anyone transfered this stream into a mp3 form, so i can burn it onto a CD and listen to it in my car everyday for months and months?

I did this (after pre-ordering the record), but I'm not sure it would be appropriate to upload it.

theaddingmachine
07-15-2008, 06:03 PM
i listened in bed last night. it was so nice.

A.M. Thomas
07-16-2008, 02:34 AM
I wonder if there is any chance the Second Symphony will now get an official release soon.

Slyowl
07-17-2008, 05:51 PM
Has the artwork for the 2nd symphony been uploaded anywhere? I can find scans of the cover, but what about the reverse? I'm feeling curious today.

lou2ser
07-17-2008, 06:51 PM
Has the artwork for the 2nd symphony been uploaded anywhere? I can find scans of the cover, but what about the reverse? I'm feeling curious today.

http://opticalatlas.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/2ndimaginaryback.jpg

From http://opticalatlas.com/?page_id=555

Slyowl
07-17-2008, 07:39 PM
Fantastic, thankyou. Now I can make a copy of the album to put on my shelf (in anticipation of an eventual release?)

jhendrix
07-21-2008, 01:28 PM
get your acorns prepared with a music note drawn on, some scissors, and glue for the new cd because this time it comes with more than a pop up included with the cd

starman
07-22-2008, 09:33 PM
So since no one will upload the stream in mp3 format, could someone instruct me on how to go about doing that? I would really like a version for while I am not by my computer, and I will definitely be buying the vinyl at popfest, so it's not like I'm ripping Julian off.

VenusInFurs341
07-22-2008, 11:15 PM
I see Jeff Mangum's name in there :-)

jhendrix
07-23-2008, 11:27 AM
i may or may not have a complete copy of the album artwork and all but i dont know how to upload such a thing

wilson
07-23-2008, 11:40 AM
Please, let's not unleash poor quality stream rips on the world--once you create the files, it's all over. Everyone will be able to pick up a copy of the record in 3 weeks at Popfest. I plead plead plead for you to exhibit patience.

wilson
07-23-2008, 11:41 AM
so it's not like I'm ripping Julian off.

It's not ripping him off, but it is bastardizing his work, which we all know he worked long and hard on. 3 weeks is not long at all, and you can listen to the album whenever you want at a computer in the interim.

lou2ser
07-23-2008, 11:41 AM
Please, let's not unleash poor quality stream rips on the world--once you create the files, it's all over. Everyone will be able to pick up a copy of the record in 3 weeks at Popfest. I plead plead plead for you to exhibit patience.

Good point.

lou2ser
07-23-2008, 11:42 AM
It's not ripping him off, but it is bastardizing his work, which we all know he worked long and hard on.

By that definition, isn't the streaming of the audio a bastardization?

wilson
07-23-2008, 11:46 AM
By that definition, isn't the streaming of the audio a bastardization?

It's mp3 quality, so no less bastardization than itunes, et al!

I haven't done tons of listening tests on stream rips, but it's hard to even compare with the mp3 quality, which is already compressed from the master...

wilson
07-23-2008, 11:48 AM
Let's use the word "bastardization" as many times as possible

lou2ser
07-23-2008, 12:01 PM
It's mp3 quality, so no less bastardization than itunes, et al!

I haven't done tons of listening tests on stream rips, but it's hard to even compare with the mp3 quality, which is already compressed from the master...

I'm just pointing out that the stream is no better quality than the resulting rip, as a rip just records everything that comes across the sound card. By calling a ripped copy a bastardization you're calling the original stream (setup by the label) a bastardization.

Dihnekis
07-23-2008, 12:16 PM
It is imo. But it is still nice for a little sample.

wilson
07-23-2008, 02:45 PM
I'm just pointing out that the stream is no better quality than the resulting rip, as a rip just records everything that comes across the sound card. By calling a ripped copy a bastardization you're calling the original stream (setup by the label) a bastardization.

Again, I haven't done the listening tests to provide the scientific proof (through matlab graphs!), but the sound your sound card picks up and understands is different than the sound data written directly in the file. It's going to lose some quality data (as opposed to unquality data--or the silent bits that are edited out in compression) even in the highest ripping settings if only because the ripper doesn't have access to the actual digital file.

wilson
07-23-2008, 02:47 PM
Just wait until Merge starts doing lossless streams, and offering 24 bit/96 khz audio resolution. Soon, it will be a whole new world for digital music!

I just can't wait until internet speeds and storage efficiency gets to the point where no one is dealing with mp3s any longer. My current soapbox is that this needs to happen ASAP; we've already got a generation of people that does not know how their favorite music was intended by the artists to sound. Unfortunately, mp3s have become big money, so institutional change will be fought tooth & nail.

lou2ser
07-23-2008, 02:51 PM
Again, I haven't done the listening tests to provide the scientific proof (through matlab graphs!), but the sound your sound card picks up and understands is different than the sound data written directly in the file. It's going to lose some quality data (as opposed to unquality data--or the silent bits that are edited out in compression) even in the highest ripping settings if only because the ripper doesn't have access to the actual digital file.

True, but it's still a bastardization of the original recording. :)

Should we be looking forward to lossless streams from Merge?

wilson
07-23-2008, 02:59 PM
True, but it's still a bastardization of the original recording. :)

Should we be looking forward to lossless streams from Merge?

I agree wholeheartedly that the streams and mp3s are a bastardization of the original recording!

Don't expect big Merge changes immediately--there're some back end issues that have taken priority--but it's certainly an eventual goal.

Same with higher-resolution audio, though that may be even more complicated.

I would expect some more e6-related news coming up soon, though...

lou2ser
07-23-2008, 03:03 PM
I would expect some more e6-related news coming up soon, though.

Ahh, that's not very nice. Teaser.

Let's figure it out.

E6 bands that are on Merge:
Essex Green--Most likely, Cannibal Sea came out 2 1/2 years ago
Ladybug Transistor--Kinda likely
Music Tapes--Not likely, you probably would have said "Music Tapes news"
Neutral Milk Hotel--yeah, right

Dihnekis
07-23-2008, 08:49 PM
Lossless stream... but then why even try charging for the album? I'm not saying it wont happen... but the music industry is gonna go through a ton of changes before that happens.

wilson
07-24-2008, 07:25 AM
I agree, but it's an industry that changes every second. Remember, it's taken less than a decade to go from the original Napster, to multi-billion dollar iTunes...

palm springs
07-25-2008, 11:06 PM
http://www.folkways.si.edu/albumdetails.aspx?itemid=1194

wilson
07-28-2008, 12:12 PM
Whoa, nice find.

palm springs
07-29-2008, 11:31 PM
:confused: Is anyone else outside US having trouble ordering?
Does Merge offer pre-orders internationally? No?

Slyowl
07-30-2008, 05:39 PM
I was able to preorder mine, and I live in Australia.

Klein
07-31-2008, 01:26 AM
:confused: Is anyone else outside US having trouble ordering?
Does Merge offer pre-orders internationally? No?

I'm from Canada and I had no trouble with my pre-order...

clickxclick
08-03-2008, 03:12 PM
If anyone has an indie torrents account, it's up on there. No idea what the source is though. I'm listening to it now and it's fantastic, the quality isn't actually the best thing ever, it seems to peak.

So excited to grab the real thing at pop fest.

Dihnekis
08-04-2008, 01:35 AM
I am also planning on picking this up at popfest (vinyl hopefully).

wingedfeetxc
08-07-2008, 10:07 AM
This album is so good. Some of the best songs I've ever heard from Julian before, absolutely. Love it.

jdrawmeasheep
08-07-2008, 10:32 AM
did it ship already??

Aqualad
08-07-2008, 06:05 PM
supposed to ship august 19th

jdrawmeasheep
08-07-2008, 06:15 PM
oh.

wingedfeetxc
08-07-2008, 07:48 PM
did it ship already??

Oh yeah I was evil and downloaded it. Don't worry, I'm buying the vinyl.

jdrawmeasheep
08-07-2008, 08:44 PM
Oh yeah I was evil and downloaded it. Don't worry, I'm buying the vinyl.

HOW COULD YOU!!?

wingedfeetxc
08-08-2008, 09:09 AM
HOW COULD YOU!!?

Julian forgive me for I have sinned

CrazyHorse
08-08-2008, 11:06 AM
I received the record today. I think I'm happy.

CrazyHorse
08-08-2008, 11:37 AM
Shipped on 08/01. Belgian fan(s) thank(s) Merge.

Aqualad
08-08-2008, 03:40 PM
i just got it! hooray for early release. Glad they are nice enough to give you the mp3 download

rogersbowne
08-08-2008, 09:39 PM
I'm digging the record. I've listened to both sides four times. It's amazing in it's simplicity. I like it better then the 1st. I see no jeff on it, is this like the first e6 without a contribution in a while? Another thought, if Merge is going to let us only download one time then why not make it a lossless rip?

wilson
08-09-2008, 08:04 AM
i just got it! hooray for early release. Glad they are nice enough to give you the mp3 download

crap, is this working? these weren't supposed to be mailed for a couple more weeks, but what can you do?

Dihnekis
08-09-2008, 10:40 AM
Well that is cool.

jdrawmeasheep
08-09-2008, 09:41 PM
for some reason when i try to order it, my apartment # from the shipping address automaticly is put into my billing address, which has no apartment #. so unless anyone wants to sell me one of their extras through money order(i promise ill throw in a few extra bucks) im fucked untill i find one on amazon or somthing

wheretreesgo
08-09-2008, 11:24 PM
for some reason when i try to order it, my apartment # from the shipping address automaticly is put into my billing address, which has no apartment #. so unless anyone wants to sell me one of their extras through money order(i promise ill throw in a few extra bucks) im fucked untill i find one on amazon or somthing

same thing happened for me. i just let it be and everything went through fine. got my vinyl the other day. it came with presents!

jdrawmeasheep
08-10-2008, 06:59 AM
same thing happened for me. i just let it be and everything went through fine. got my vinyl the other day. it came with presents!

okay ill go try it another 20 times. it'll be so worth it

tsuxiit
08-11-2008, 06:15 PM
Does anyone have good cover art?

edit: here we go:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y131/dotman/51YEPexYj4L_SS500_.jpg

el topo
08-12-2008, 05:08 AM
Also there's a good image of the poster art in the Optical Atlas Music Tapes Gallery:

http://opticalatlas.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/mttornadoposter.jpg

God I am loving this record to death. And hooray for the E6/Music Tapes/Elephant button that came with it! As my wife said, "That is the coolest button ever."

Klein
08-12-2008, 09:57 AM
I recieved mine today! Opening the package was a magical experience. There were little surprises falling out of everywhere :P

EllertTremorControl
08-12-2008, 01:44 PM
God I am loving this record to death. And hooray for the E6/Music Tapes/Elephant button that came with it! As my wife said, "That is the coolest button ever."

My girlfriend said the same thing! I stuck it on one of my speakers
I can't stop listening.
Julian possibly just released the greatest headphones album ever

and the singing saw christmas album is actually making me look forward to holiday music

buck_tempo
08-12-2008, 10:14 PM
I got my copy today. I like it but I wish there were either a comic or a lyric sheet.

Is anyone going to cut out the holder? I'm considering it but I'm torn. On the one hand I would be cutting up a piece of album art. On the other I will have a cool conversation piece.

wheretreesgo
08-13-2008, 01:48 AM
you could always go to kinkos or some place and make a copy and cut that out instead.

I got my copy today. I like it but I wish there were either a comic or a lyric sheet.

Is anyone going to cut out the holder? I'm considering it but I'm torn. On the one hand I would be cutting up a piece of album art. On the other I will have a cool conversation piece.

tsuxiit
08-13-2008, 04:42 PM
I wonder if they will have this at my record store with all the art and things.

jdrawmeasheep
08-13-2008, 05:20 PM
I wonder if they will have this at my record store with all the art and things.

probably not :(

Willard B. Trophy
08-17-2008, 09:02 AM
can I just apologize for filing MTfC&T under "reggae" in freedb? Every other genre that could have possibly applied had a disc ID clash.

And yes, I like it. No button from the Canadian retailer, but the big foldy out thing, yes.

beans45601
08-17-2008, 10:38 AM

I haven't looked that hard at it yet, but what is cut out thing for? It kind of looks like a holder for the LP, but that would be silly? Does it spin? Someone tell me so i don't have to go look for my self.

Aqualad
08-17-2008, 03:52 PM
it looks more like a holder for the cd

beans45601
08-17-2008, 08:34 PM
it looks more like a holder for the cd

Thats what i thought. Suspending your vinyl over an acorn would be the worst idea ever.

Aqualad
08-17-2008, 09:57 PM
well, that, and it's too small for a record.

wilson
08-18-2008, 02:13 PM
It's a magical CD holder, and you should all put it together, download the record with your download cards (since it seems no one is buying the CD version!), and put the CD on there. But don't rip that CD, because that would be audio bastardization evil!

wilson
08-19-2008, 07:08 AM
Happy release day everybody!

Dihnekis
08-19-2008, 07:22 AM
Or do a vinyl rip and burn it on DVD-Audio, and use the cut out for that.

If only my roommates hadn't trashed my $180 cartridge a week or two ago... I picked up the album at Popfest but haven't been able to listen to it yet

I Rule The School
09-06-2008, 08:52 AM
I got my CD today (I had enough time to die 10.000 times between placing my order and getting the CD, and I hate to say but Merge has got to be the slowest posting label of them all!!!!) and I don't know if the most important thing right now is to give the CD a third listen or go looking for an acorn. How and where am I going to find an acorn? Are they the things that grow on oaks???? Could it work with a hazelnut? :confused:
Has anyone tried to build the CD holder?

Juttman
09-11-2008, 01:55 PM
I just got my LP after ordering it on Sunday.

Very sweet! I love the album, and not owning 1st Imaginary Symphony on vinyl, I am impressed with the details on equipment used and the cut-out record holder (I think that's what it is, I haven't constructed it yet)

cid
12-09-2009, 01:05 PM
Can anyone scan the poster you said you got with the preorder and does the button still come with the cd?