PDA

View Full Version : Big influence on Of Montreal......

prehistoric
02-10-2004, 05:13 AM
Any of you heard Van Dyke Parks' 1968 LP "Song Cycle"?

I'm listening to "Coquelicot....." right now and I can hear a lot of similarities between the two records- weird, haphazard chord changes/melody lines all over the place........bouncy music hall style song sections mutating into melancholy minor key piano pieces with an Appalachian nose flute solo seconds later (maybe........hehehehehe).

Whatever- I'm sure Kevin has spent many hours listening to VDP in his time.

"Song Cycle" is a brilliant album- some amazing songs on there like "Widows Walk", "The All Golden", "The Attic"......if you haven't already checked it out then ya should!

Oh, and speaking of "Coquelicot....."- what does everyone make of the last song, "The Hopeless Opus Or The Great Battle Of The Unfriendly Ridiculous"? Completely necessary or way too flabby and self-indulgent?

Personally I think it's a stunning piece of music..........well, what can I say- I've listened to a lot of prog rock!

;)

Was it just an improvisation for the main part or was it totally composed beforehand?

My, what a ramble..........

:o

Harnk
02-10-2004, 06:43 AM
morning Rod....The last track on Coquelicot usually gets the skip button...still it's nice but it's a bit long.

BeeEatsMe
02-10-2004, 12:10 PM
How do you skip the last track? It's the last.

prehistoric
02-10-2004, 12:29 PM
Maybe he had the CD player set to 'repeat all tracks' in which case hitting the skip button would take it to the first song again...........?

:P

Freek
02-10-2004, 03:27 PM
or the shuffle / random button

elizabeth
02-10-2004, 06:56 PM
I like the last track more than some of the others, but I think it's ment to lose your attention and let your mind wander. It sounds like G. Gershwin to me.

opopopo
02-10-2004, 07:20 PM
i utterly adore that last track, like dancing nude in the rain. well, maybe not as much as dancing nude in the rain. it's close though. perhaps dancing nude in just a light drizzle of rain. it doesnt rain often enough here, so i do listen to zeee hopeless opus quite a lot.

kartoonz
02-11-2004, 12:38 AM
As far as sounding like Gershwin goes, I can hear it, but I think it sounds much more ragtime-ish, like Joplin.

dolemites_sister
02-11-2004, 04:28 AM
I love it.. I was stuck in rush hour traffic one day and listened to the entire thing while stuck in one place, but I was happy and enjoying myself all the same.

j

muk muk
02-13-2004, 09:21 AM
As far as Van Dyke Parks goes, Song Cycle is one of my favorite albums of all time. He also did some great stuff with the Beach Boys. If you can download 'Smile', please do. They released 'Smiley Smile' but it's just sort of a dumbed-down version of the original. Picture Van Dyke Parks songs with Beach Boys harmonies...total bliss. I was going to ask Kevin if he was into VDP when I met him at a show, but felt a little foolish playing the 'do you like...' game. It seemed kind of obvious anyway...
And I love the Hopeless Opus. I think it was recorded all in one take which is amazing...oh yeah, I'm a big prog dork, too. Maybe hours of listening to Genesis helps increase your musical attention span...

MissMathe
02-15-2004, 01:06 AM
I feel like Kevin's last piece on the album sounds much more like Erik Satie than Gershwin

vacantmoon
02-15-2004, 06:58 PM
the hopeless opus is an amazing mini-album in its own right if you ask me. the icing on the cake to what's probably my fave record ever.