PDA

View Full Version : Kimya Dawson

Cnation
01-23-2008, 08:34 PM
Everyone seems to be suddenly talking about her now since Juno came out. Question: Who here also sees that she's got the most sickeningly adorable voice you've ever heard?

pinocchio
01-23-2008, 08:47 PM
i've been into kimya for 7 years. haven't heard her in a long time. adam's solo stuff is good too. he's a nut.

Mutineer
01-23-2008, 08:50 PM
I don't like Adam Green's voice, but I like Kimya alot.

I've liked her stuff for a little over a year now, but haven't really bothered checking out any of her albums other than Remember That I Love You, which is great.

TheMarvelousMr.Milk
01-23-2008, 09:08 PM
Everyone seems to be suddenly talking about her now since Juno came out. Question: Who here also sees that she's got the most sickeningly adorable voice you've ever heard?

I agree. I didn't like the Juno soundtrack at all. Annoying.

tackledspoon
01-23-2008, 09:51 PM
I like her. I only have "Remember That I Love You" and I've always enjoyed it. My mom LOVES that album.

patman?
01-23-2008, 10:05 PM
She's really horrible. I'm surprised that anyone actually likes her. So absolutely annoying.

happymike
01-24-2008, 12:04 AM
i think she's great, and if it takes juno to get people into what she does then that's alright. i hope that that soundtrack will get loads of teens into stuff like velvet underground, mott the hoople, moldy peaches / kimya, belle & sebastian. i mean i'd rather have kids coming into the record store i work at buying those bands than wanting the new gwen stefani record or jay-z album. plus it could be a springboard to turn them on to stuff like jeffrey lewis, the bobby mcgees, tinyfolk, or lead them to matador (via b&s) or k records (via kimya). mike

piaptk
01-24-2008, 12:16 AM
Kimya totally deserves this... I think it is kind of weird, but #3 on the billboard charts is amazing, considering what it is. Being a high school teacher, and seeing the kind of shit that kids are into these days, even in Olympia, WA (seriously, there is ONE kid in my entire school that is into somewhat cool music), I would love more kids to be into good, weird, stuff. Kimya is an amazing person who I am happy to be friends with. Does make me wish she had taken me up on the offer to make a teddy bear shaped split with her and her daughter, though.

quixoticgoat
01-24-2008, 08:12 AM
i am totally and utterly in love with kimya dawson. i heard "lucky number nine" a long as time ago, but never really looked into it. then last year i got a mix tape with "everything is alright" on it and then bought everything she ever put out. love love love her so much.

nach_heart
01-24-2008, 08:44 AM
Kimya is fast becoming my favorite musician. I've only just found out about her and the Moldy Peaches in early 2007, but I am just in love with her.

And I think the Juno soundtrack is really great. Even without the Kimya tracks.

grimeyno1
01-24-2008, 10:34 AM
she's great, but you guys can't deny adam green love.

Gin And Jews
01-24-2008, 11:11 AM
she's decent but adam green is far superior

feeling_retro
01-24-2008, 06:19 PM
I like her. I only have "Remember That I Love You" and I've always enjoyed it. My mom LOVES that album.

mine too! actually i got my mom hidden vagenda for christmas. kimya dawson is pretty much the only artist we both like.

Musicalfusion
01-24-2008, 07:33 PM
she was just in DC and I missed it!!!

piaptk
01-24-2008, 08:40 PM
Adam Green is pretty spectacular as well...

patman?
01-24-2008, 09:59 PM
I'm still astonished how well-liked she is. She's really terrible. What am I missing?

tackledspoon
01-25-2008, 12:14 AM
I'm still astonished how well-liked she is. She's really terrible. What am I missing?

An awareness of the many ways in which individuals' tastes differ.

hockywierdo
01-26-2008, 02:08 PM
shes great. i heard about her a little while before juno when she played a house show with some friend of mine and everyone i talked that went to that house show raved about her. it was a nice srprise to hear her on juno but now like 02983490280842 people are into the moldy peaches and kimya without knowing the scene and background she/they come from and how important that is to her music. that dissappoints me cause it make her just consumed like normal music instead of understood and opening people minds and making them more tolerant and accepting of the lo-fi and antifolk music styles.

her voice is very andgroenous (as my friend put it) so that might throw some people off. shes not a great singer but thats not hte point. she an amazing poet and sends amazing messages in cute ways.

Remember guys, that kimya loves you.

Mutineer
01-26-2008, 02:18 PM
My 14 year old sister is starting to listen to Kimya's stuff now ;'(

Maybe she should just listen to me when I tell her to listen to stuff in the first place.

Becky
01-26-2008, 02:36 PM
I love Kimya, my older sister got me into The Moldy Peaches 3 or 4 years ago and I've tried to get my friends into them ever since.

I remember one time I gave my friend a mix CD with Steak for Chicken on it and she said it was lo-fi hipster shit, and now her profile song is Anybody Else But You and accordingly she's "looooved The Moldy Peaches" ever since Becky gave her a mixtape with Steak For Chicken two years ago.

garyw
01-26-2008, 04:44 PM
by the end of juno i was incredibly sick of hearing c and g chords

Musicalfusion
01-26-2008, 07:29 PM
hey now, most NMH songs are c and g chords, with a few E and F chords thrown in for good measure

jefferoo
01-27-2008, 12:17 AM
quirky is the new goth

pinocchio
01-27-2008, 01:06 PM
hey now, most NMH songs are c and g chords, with a few E and F chords thrown in for good measure

not true

pinocchio
01-27-2008, 01:07 PM
quirky is the new goth

true

pinocchio
01-27-2008, 01:08 PM
She's really horrible. I'm surprised that anyone actually likes her. So absolutely annoying.

not true

pinocchio
01-27-2008, 01:09 PM
An awareness of the many ways in which individuals' tastes differ.

true

JackAttack
01-27-2008, 01:51 PM
I love when kids get into a band/musician through a movie soundtrack or something, but then are totally ashamed of having that as an introduction so they all try to justify it by making sure everybody knows exactly how long they've been into said band.

patman?
01-27-2008, 02:01 PM
I'm totally annoyed by her quirky, indie girl lyrics.

Basically, this. She is a terrible lyricist (look at me, I'm quirky and cute! Teeheehee-fucking-hee!), not a good singer, and frankly, not really talented at anything. Some musicians can pull off the 'I'm a terrible musician' thing quite well—Daniel Johnston (though he is more talented than he seems), The Shaggs, The Godz, Jad and David Fair of Half Japanese, and so-forth.

The difference is that all of those bands/artists have something that compensates for their inadequacies. Daniel Johnston is devastatingly honest—insane—and a great lyricist; The Shaggs and The Godz are just bizarre, changing what we think a song should be; Half Japanese is the ultimate 'DIY' band.

Kimya Dawson only comes off as annoying, overly-cute, and just so—so—fucking indie.

Also, she posts videos and pictures of her baby all over her Myspace, and as such, sucks.

tralala
01-27-2008, 02:11 PM
Also, she posts videos and pictures of her baby all over her Myspace, and as such, sucks.

yeah dude, babys are lame... she should put it in a box or something so we don't have to see it's ugly face

pinocchio
01-27-2008, 03:39 PM
kimya dawson was never and is not anything you're saying about her. they were never big. because she is now, she's so so indie? what does that even mean. when people do these things first, before all of these other copycat artists and cheesy movies come out, it is an amazing thing to be proud of. those early moldy peaches songs are stripped, good nothingness. what is wrong with a girl's voice being cute? she does such good for her community and simply gives. i have met her and she asked if she could hug me. genuinely beautiful person. they lived on nothing for so long. that peaches song you are talking about in that movie, which i have not seen, has been out for like almost 10 years. until 3 years ago, neither of them had success. if you were offered tons of cash, you'd deny because you'd be worried about what some ignorant, idiot teenager on a message board is saying about you? what do you do?

nach_heart
01-27-2008, 04:07 PM
kimya dawson was never and is not anything you're saying about her. they were never big. because she is now, she's so so indie? what does that even mean. when people do these things first, before all of these other copycat artists and cheesy movies come out, it is an amazing thing to be proud of. those early moldy peaches songs are stripped, good nothingness. what is wrong with a girl's voice being cute? she does such good for her community and simply gives. i have met her and she asked if she could hug me. genuinely beautiful person. they lived on nothing for so long. that peaches song you are talking about in that movie, which i have not seen, has been out for like almost 10 years. until 3 years ago, neither of them had success. if you were offered tons of cash, you'd deny because you'd be worried about what some ignorant, idiot teenager on a message board is saying about you? what do you do?

Well said. And I think her lyrics are amazing.

Why does she suck for posting pictures of her baby? It's not really any different than anyone else on myspace with children, is it? I mean yes, she's gaining in popularity now because of Juno but she's not by any means famous or anything. She's a very humble person and just wants to share pictures of her child with her fans and friends. I don't see anything wrong with that.

piaptk
01-27-2008, 04:12 PM
if you were offered tons of cash, you'd deny because you'd be worried about what some ignorant, idiot teenager on a message board is saying about you? what do you do?

Also, she wasn't offered "tons of cash" ... They live here in Olympia, and I see her and Ange all the time, so I've been talking to her over the last year about this movie, and that movie took off way more than anyone ever imagined. She was obviously flattered and excited when she was asked to contribute the music, but it wasn't like they rolled a Uhaul truck full of money up to her house. The fact that that soundtrack is now #1 on the billboard chart is as much (if not more) of a surprise to her as it was to anyone else. In fact, she is almost embarrassed about it. She has no plans on changing how she does anything *(although I have a feeling that show capacity will probably affect her touring), no plans to leave K, etc. I have a feeling that Adam Green is much more excited about this whole thing than Kimya is, because he has always seemed like he was trying for the "spotlight" more than Kimya was, and I think he deserves it!

She is an extremely giving person, insists on all-ages shows, books her own tours, handdraws t-shirts rather than selling a prescreened product, etc. She writes songs that she hopes will help people, and she has told me stories (and i've read the emails) of some very touching situations where she HAS helped people.

I can see why not everyone would like her music, but she is not going for over-ly cute, and I don't even think that her music is. She is just as honest about what she writes as Daniel Johnston is, just as DIY as Half Japanese, and pretty bizarre in her own right.

Here are some posts from her live journal in early september:

7:39 am - more thought on last nights post and a haiku
i am not worried about lots of people hearing the songs. that part is GREAT. if this shit goes down like all these folks seem to think it might, i am worried about what happens WHEN lots of people hear the songs. because when i tour i want all those people to see me if they want to. so what if that means playing in big theaters where people are so far away from me? i don't have contacts at the big places. do i hire a booking agent? where do i find one who is okay with the fact that i insist on all ages non-smoking shows? where do i find one who lets me book other shows on the side? and what if it means that i get so many messages i can't check them all myself? that makes me soooo sad.
because like last night a girl wrote to me and told me that when she feels like she is in a ditch she listens to my music and it makes her feel less muddy. and when i used to be REALLY depressed, like hurting myself bad depressed, i called it "in the ditch". and nobody could know that but me. and i cried when i read that i could help someone out of the ditch. and i knew that i had to reply to that message, but maybe someone else wouldn't have thought- "hmmm. this is an important one".
you know what i am saying?
there is really good stuff happening. i just need to figure out how to keep up and change gears without selling the old huffy, if you catch my drift.

AND

And that someone is me. And I am freaking out.

Tonight was the premiere of Juno and it was crazy. Totally crazy. The theater was huge. And well, there were my songs all over the place. And I had to go onstage afterwards for the Q&A, and felt really awkward. At least I got to take the detour around the red carpet, so I wasn't arrested by the fashion police.

Not yet.

I found a "Where's Waldo?" sheet at Goodwill and my friend Heather mad it into a skirt for me. I wore it to Bumbershoot. I wore it today. I am going to wear the shit out of it. It is so good.

So, listen. The film is fucking terrific and I love everyone involved. Everyone is so nice. Shit.

But it's weird.

After the screening and at the after party people kept saying things to me like "Are you ready for your life to change?!" and "This movie is going to catapult you to stardom! Isn't that exciting?!"

And I wish I could make them understand that not everyone has the same goals. I did this because I liked the script. And Jason Reitman is a real good guy. It is an awesome thing to be a part of. BUT...

I don't care about playing huge shows. Or being on the MTV, for fuck's sake. I have no intention of ever leaving K records and trying to get a "good deal".

All that stuff kind of freaks me out bad actually.

I really love the movie though. And I am excited for when the soundtrack comes out. But I am scared. It's all really scary for me.

Some of those songs were recorded in my bed in Bedford Hills, under the covers, on the 4-track.

And when people were coming up to me telling me I did a great job it felt weird because I didn't do a job.

I wrote a bunch of crap when my heart was hurting.

Everyone else had to do a job. The songs were already there. Just floating around in space. I didn't do anything specifically FOR the movie. Except record some instrumental versions of a couple songs that only have two chords. That was easy. so, yeah...

Weird, weird, weird, weird, weird, weird, weird, weird.

Panda on the other hand was taking names at the party. That kid is fucking scary. She was giving out high fives and breaking hearts all over the place. She ate that shit up.

Me on the other hand, well, it is always nice to hear people say they like my songs. I just hope things don't get too different. I like the way I do stuff now. Group hugs, and potlucks, and all that shit. It doesn't really get better than that does it? All this other stuff is cool and all, but the community and the closeness and all that is what keeps my heart beating.

patman?
01-27-2008, 05:08 PM

The thing about this post is that it's difficult to formulate a cogent response, as you pretty much mistook everything I said. When I say that she's 'so indie,' what I am saying is that she's pretty much a caricature of everything 'indie.' It's a difficult thing to explain.

I said nothing about her voice being cute. I definitely did not say that, because it's not cute. It's hideously irritating, actually. She only half-sings, usually completely disregarding rhythm. I'm saying that she herself comes off as overly-cute.

I also never said anything about her character, so don't act like I said she's a terrible person. She could be the nicest person in the world, but that doesn't make her any better a musician.

As for whether or not I would accept 'tons of cash,' I guess it depends. It's not something that I can answer. It's entirely dependent on a certain number of variables.

theaddingmachine
01-27-2008, 06:06 PM
sigh

pinocchio
01-27-2008, 09:14 PM
shutup becky i'll stab you in the glasses