PDA

View Full Version : reggae/rocksteady

BigBlackSmoke
11-27-2007, 07:42 AM
reggae and rocksteady are a couple of genres that seem to never get discussed on this board too often..yet they are both pretty awesome. toots & the maytals, desmond dekker, jimmy cliff, lee perry, etc. I just recently got a couple more of those trojan records boxed sets for 4 bucks at a garage sale..6 discs of material. anyone else got any reggae/rocksteady/dub/ska they've been into lately?

ionnic1
11-27-2007, 08:52 AM
Big fan of classic Roots and dub records even if my collection is still in its beginning stages. Some of my favorite artists include Augstus Pablo, Johnny Clarke, John Holt, Dennis Brown, Sister Nancy and Steel Pulse from London.

Plus anything produced by Lee Perry. "Heart of the Congos" album in particular blows my mind.

uncle eggma
11-27-2007, 04:28 PM
yes! heart of the congos is an amazing album!!

here's a short list of some stuff i like:

the heptones - sweet talking and party time
jimmy cliff - the harder they come and struggling man
culture - two sevens clash and good things
abyssinians - satta massagana
black uhura - red and chill out
peter tosh - equal rights and mama africa
bunny wailer - blackheart man
bob marley wailers - burning, uprising, and exodus

funeralpudding
11-27-2007, 04:37 PM
Somebody sendspaced a comp called "Work Your Soul" a few months back - Dekker, Cliff, etc., and it's been on heavy rotation in my computer, fantastic stuff.

uncle eggma
11-27-2007, 04:57 PM
yeah i forgot about desmond dekker. very good stuff!

jefferoo
11-27-2007, 08:37 PM
i think desmond dekker is a genius. he also has a collection of b-sides that is particularly mind-blowing.
I'm also big into the upsetters, especially the real early stuff like on "return of django" and "cloak and dagger".
I like lee perry's dubbed out stuff, too. agustus pablo kicks some tall ass, too.
congos "heart of the congos" is classic stuff.
I'm also huge into dancehall reggae. cutty ranks (http://youtube.com/watch?v=nfjXKYspagQ) is my main man... sorta.
anybody out there into ragga jungle, besides me. I was a semi-serious ragga dj for a spell. I have some killer 12"s a la suburban base, congo natty, etc.
and yes, jimmy cliff is a pimp.

funeralpudding
11-27-2007, 09:31 PM
i used to dig on that stuff quite a bit, the skatalites, wailers at studio one, upsetters, heptones, desmond dekker, jackie mittoo...all good stuff. Are you guys into any more current revival bands like the slackers or hepcat or anything?

Not yet, so do tell...

pinocchio
11-27-2007, 09:37 PM
the upsetters are fucking awesome