PDA

View Full Version : "Weird Folk"

Stewart
01-23-2004, 01:28 PM
Recently, I've been getting really into Devendra Banhart, Skip Spence, Syd Barrett, etc. Could anyone help me finding more stuff along these lines? I've been meaning to check out Jandek, but have no idea where to find his stuff.

nervesandgel
01-23-2004, 02:02 PM
you can try these, although they're all very different

thanksgiving (might be really hard to find, i don't know if he has any official releases)

aranos (more of an old man who plays all the instruments on the album, kind of folk kind of really strange, but really good)

six organs of admittance (darker folk, but not dark, with some drone pieces in between)

icarus
01-23-2004, 02:34 PM
Oh my god! Someone else has heard of Thanksgiving! I saw him play a few weeks ago. You can buy a couple of his albums at www.marriagerecs.com

nervesandgel
01-23-2004, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by icarus
Oh my god! Someone else has heard of Thanksgiving! I saw him play a few weeks ago. You can buy a couple of his albums at www.marriagerecs.com

hey thanks for that link, i only have one of his albums, but seeing him live is much better than cd. i was entranced the whole time he played.
i know he recorded some stuff while he was here with a friend of mine, i haven't had a chance to hear it though, maybe tonight.

icarus
01-23-2004, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by nervesandgel

hey thanks for that link, i only have one of his albums, but seeing him live is much better than cd. i was entranced the whole time he played.
i know he recorded some stuff while he was here with a friend of mine, i haven't had a chance to hear it though, maybe tonight.

Awesome. He said most of the songs he played when I saw him weren't on any of his albums, so hopefully he recorded some of them.

William
01-23-2004, 07:31 PM
I'm a fan of acid folk, pysch folk, etc., and Syd Barrett is one of my favourite musicians of all times. I would strongly recommend Maitreya Kali. His stuff is out of print. You can get it used though.

Heres the Amazon page for his album, you can get it used there too. I would recommend listening to the samples if you can:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00004RJO2/qid%3D1074911015/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/104-5600429-7465541

Secondly, I would reccomend some of the acid folk on Camera Obscura Records like Stone Breath, and Lifesmyth. I'm not as much a fan of that stuff, but it is what would be considered "weird folk".

Oh, also can't forget Roky Erickson's album "Never Say Goodbye", and Robyn Hitchcock's acoustic albums like "Eye", and "I Often Dream of Trains".

themaches
01-25-2004, 09:39 AM
Will Oldham

When you get down to the nitty gritty,
weird as all weird, each album like a different flower growing from inside of him.

Genius....,,,)))

themaches
01-25-2004, 09:40 AM
Which reminds me.

Little Wings might even be better in this respect, and sort of similar to Will, but much more unilaterally positive on a whole, and lyrically INSANOTALENT.

Stewart
01-25-2004, 10:04 AM
I do love Will Odlham and like what I've heard of Six Organs of Admittance. Any fans of the Japanese group Ghost?

Stewart
01-25-2004, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by William
I'm a fan of acid folk, pysch folk, etc., and Syd Barrett is one of my favourite musicians of all times. I would strongly recommend Maitreya Kali. His stuff is out of print. You can get it used though.

I'm reading about this right now. It sounds awesome.

The only Roky Erikson I have is the "The Psychedelic Sounds of the Thirteenth Floor Elevators". I've never really know where to go from there.

Similarly, the only Hitchcock i have is The Soft Boys "Underwater Moonlight", and have been kind of intimidated by Robyn's catalogue.

laughingmood
01-30-2004, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Stewart
Recently, I've been getting really into Devendra Banhart, Skip Spence, Syd Barrett, etc. Could anyone help me finding more stuff along these lines? I've been meaning to check out Jandek, but have no idea where to find his stuff.

Surprised no one has mentioned them but try out Gorky'z Zygotic Mynci. Their early material is right along those lines.

Radiophobic Nate
01-31-2004, 01:13 AM
Dude, Stewart, expose me to more psych folk and stuff. I didn't recognize most of the stuff you listed. I'm all about that shit.

Stewart
01-31-2004, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by Radiophobic Nate
Dude, Stewart, expose me to more psych folk and stuff. I didn&#039;t recognize most of the stuff you listed. I&#039;m all about that <b>****</b>.

Okay.

Freek
01-31-2004, 08:18 AM
"Incredible String Band" immediately springs to my mind, especially their 2nd and 3rd albums:

"5000 spirits or the layers of the onion" and "The hangman&#039;s beautiful daughter"