PDA

View Full Version : sports

dolemites_sister
01-23-2004, 03:30 AM
Do any of you people like sports?

Just wondering.. I love sports.. basketball, football, hockey.... not baseball or golf so much however...

There seems to be a lack of sports fans in the indie world so I was just curious...
j

macone
01-23-2004, 07:50 AM
I am a ASA National Champion and 2-time All-American in Men's Slow Pitch softball. Yes, the indy world doesn't seem to have too many great athlete's.

If you get a chance Devil In The Woods Magazine does an annual article on sports and music. Usually they interview a few professional althlete's (Barry Zito) and talk about this exact topic. Get this magazine, it's great and comes with a free 7" single every issue.

Peace.
Go Pats.!!!

henrikhhh
01-23-2004, 10:30 AM
soccer!

opopopo
01-23-2004, 10:40 AM
i love sports! well, not things such as golf which are outrageously duller than a dustpan, but i do enjoy most sports. i've always been beating all the boys in gym class.

jay, i am prettty sure that horse-sitting is a sport. corn mazes count too, as long as you break a sweat (it helps to get lost and begin to panic).

macone, congradulations on your championifficity!

[Edited on 1-23-2004 by opopopo]

murphydog
01-23-2004, 10:40 AM
How about martial arts? I practise shotokan karate and aikido.

perfectbrokenmirror
01-23-2004, 10:55 AM
I use to swim and play soccer and basketball competitively. I stopped basketball because of my shoulder and then a couple years later I stopped playing sports because I wanted to devote time to theatre.

However, I still love sports. I dislike baseball, golf, hockey, football, softball, volleyball...

Oh, and I use to ice skate competitively (when I was a wee child).

c.s

cigarettetricks
01-23-2004, 11:31 AM
i love golf. i've played since i was 10 and actually made it to the state tournament my senior year in high school. i still play 2-4 times a week in the summer and work at a golf course on the weekends so i can play for free : ) man, i get a lot of shit from my friends for being such a golf dork/sports guru. i love it!

theSprout
01-23-2004, 12:19 PM
sport is simply not my bag. to me, it often contains an ethos of being ruthless, competetive, derisory and very often, building social groups and societies that rely on the conformity of all members to often extremely masculine and off putting traits.

i will not say sport cannot be enjoyed, but i find that in my past i have encountered said types, who have taken exception to my 'difference' and used it as ammunition against me. although, more often than not they have fewer brain cells than testicles, and thusly aren't too worrying..

but sport can, i appreciate be an engaging thing to watch, or do. i've just seen one side of it that makes me not want to be part of it. i'm just happy being me. oh, but sometimes i'm okay at badminton :)

dolemites_sister
01-23-2004, 03:13 PM
In the south, college football is like religion. I grew up on it.. its in my blood.. I can't help it. There is nothing I enjoy more on a Saturday afternoon than sitting down and watching about 5 football games right in a row and 6 other ones at the same time.

Basketball is so fast paced and you have to be really smart to be good (unless you are Shaquille O'neal that is)..

That Other God
01-23-2004, 05:20 PM
ASA as in skating?

oh and about me, I like all the "alternative" sports or whatever they call them. Skating, biking, snowboarding, etc etc.

I used to skate a lot, but lately have been too busy for it.

[Edited on 1-24-2004 by That Other God]

dolemites_sister
01-24-2004, 04:10 AM
I really like to watch those sports too... I don't believe those people get enough credit for what they do... Its very difficult...

j

JohnnyMesquite
01-24-2004, 08:21 AM
one might call record collecting a sport

elizabeth
01-24-2004, 08:29 PM
Artistic gymnastics was/is my sport since 5th grade. I still teach it weekly at the ymca. I'm 5'1" but I won a couple of high jumping competitions back in seventh grade. I liked jumping into the big foam mat. Long jumping into sand is fun too. I would guess that more "indy" girls are athletic than "indy" boys, if by indy you mean nerdy.

ladylamentingonalawnchair
01-24-2004, 09:22 PM
I ride my bicycle everywhere. Also I like winter sporty things, snowshoeing and cross-country skiing and sledding, things to get me outside and make the winter less oppressive. If I was more flexible and less afraid of heights I'd want to be a trapeze artist and aerialist. (Anybody read Nights at the Circus by Angela Carter? It's about an aerialist who's half swan). I think watching other people play sports is boring though.

perfectbrokenmirror
01-25-2004, 12:59 PM
I wish I could bike more. Unfortunately the town I live in has not heard of sidewalks. The only way to get out of hear is to go up this hill that has no pedestrian walkway. It’s a shame because the view from the hill is lovely. On clear days one can see the Toronto skyline.

c.s