PDA

View Full Version : "Invite" policy of torrent sites...

willyum
11-06-2007, 07:41 PM
What do you guys think about this? Do you feel that there are justifications for the snobbery at this point in the game or do you think that the flood gates should be opened?

DaveKent
11-06-2007, 08:13 PM
Torrent sites are crap without rules, and if a site wants rules, then it has to be invite-only. Rules are not enforcible without the threat of banning an account or other account-specific punishments. If it were not invite-only, but did have an account-based format, the offending user could just register a new account.

Aqualad
11-06-2007, 10:02 PM
Wouldn't it make more sense to not be able to upload unless you were a member, but be able to download even if you're not?

It would allow for less snobbery, but it would ensure that what you are downloading is of the caliber you want.

DaveKent
11-06-2007, 11:56 PM
Wouldn't it make more sense to not be able to upload unless you were a member, but be able to download even if you're not?

It would allow for less snobbery, but it would ensure that what you are downloading is of the caliber you want.

The BitTorrent protocol sucks when many more people leech than seed, and there's no incentive to seed without an account-based ratio system and punishments for low ratios and, optionally, rewards for high ratios.

jcmoods: You're right, IP bans could be used, but I think that they would have to be across ranges of addresses, since most of us have dynamically assigned IPs that change every time we restart our computer (or router, or whatever), and that would block users that hadn't broken any rules. Additionally, that would probably require keeping detailed logs including which IP addresses uploaded and downloaded what. That would be very incriminating if the servers were ever confiscated. A big :( for us.

willyum
11-10-2007, 01:22 PM
More leeching means less contribution

How so? Doesn't it just mean more traffic? You can download from leechers as well as seeders and leechers eventually become seeders assuming they don't shut their torrents off. Not everyone can afford to leave their stuff open all the time. I feel like it sort of bars a lot of people from participating. I mean, the more people who do it, the less of a case any sort of agency would have, right?