PDA

View Full Version : top 5 shows of all time

quixoticgoat
10-30-2007, 02:07 PM
1. of montreal - the abbey pub, chicago, il (spring 2005)
why: it was the first time i saw of montreal, and pretty much solidified them in my favorite bands. i had never seen a band anything like it before. and it was a day after sunlandic twins had come out (and i had no clue) so i was expecting satanic panic and got some really amazing dance music instead.

2. jason anderson - indie coffee, madison, wi (winter 2006)
why: i left that coffee shop with a whole new sense of self. a new hope in humanity. and the next few months were some of the most productive months i ever had and i owe it to jason anderson and his inspirational mumbo jumbo.

3. old time relijun - beat kitchen, chicago, il (summer 2006)
why: because arrington can rock the fuck out and i never felt so into a band than when i saw them. i was completely wrapped up in that show.

4. casper and the cookies/apples in stereo - high noon saloon, madison, wi (spring 2007)
why: damn, it was only 9 months ago? it feels like longer. that show completely changed everything i thought about pop music and about e6 bands. meeting all the band members and realizing how awesome everyone was got me to thinking about lots of other bands, especially the e6 bands.

5. yacht - beat kitchen, chicago, il (summer 2007)
why: honestly, because i danced so much that i could barely breathe. and because i love yacht's music more than a lot of things

OK YOUR TURN. explain shit, yo. cause thats the fun part.

Aqualad
10-30-2007, 03:24 PM
i've been to maybe 6 or 7 concerts in my life. I'll list the good ones?

1. boris - they were amazing and my ears rang for 48 hours

2. shinobu/i sing the body electric - one of my favorite concert experiences because I knew a couple of the guys from the internet, and we all went and ate some dinner somewhere and new orleans, and then walked around a lot.

3. waterdeep - this is one of my favorite bands, and seeing them live before they broke up is really nice.

4. ben pasley - he's just a really good songwriter and member of 100 portraits. it was a really good night even though i missed the first part.

5. ??? nothing else really stands out in my memory as being particularily memorable. I guess the sufjan stevens concert i went to? maybe?

stompclapclap
10-30-2007, 04:09 PM
i will go back and explain these later, but for now i'm just gonna throw down the names:
[in no particular order]

-->of montreal...er...i can't pick one show in particular. they were all so damn good. i'll think about this some more and get back to you.
-->animal collective. the fillmore, sf. sept 2007.
-->dan deacon. lower sproul plaza, berkeley. sept 2007.
-->okay & snowblink. ghost mansion, sf. sometime last year.
-->fiery furnaces, berkeley. nov 2007.

canyr
10-31-2007, 02:40 AM
-->fiery furnaces, berkeley. nov 2007.

Will you explain this ?

stompclapclap
10-31-2007, 04:19 PM
i wasn't expecting it to be very good (general consensus seems to be that FF suck live) but they were great! i like the new album 10394839times more because of that show, and they even played stuff from the EP, which is my fave. they were both very cute and fun to talk to afterwards.

theallnewcarefulmary
10-31-2007, 05:04 PM
1. OTC at ATP - so many good memories from that. Coming through the crowd at the start. Having a beer with the band afterward. Their sheer energy on stage. Playing ping ping with Julian just before the Zombies played. Will loving Emmas kaftan. I could go on and on, the whole weekend was just perfect.

2. Beta Band in Wolverhampton - Just a really good weekend. Drove for hours with some friends to a old manor house cum hotel with suits of armour and smoking jackets for hire. I'm sure the keyboard player kept making eyes at Emma! A noisy, sweaty, bonkers and brilliant night.

3. Animal Collective Brighton Nov 2007 - Emma is now 32 weeks pregnant and this was our last chance to get away before the baby takes over. Nice weekend in hotel by the sea. AC played in a tiny church. Great atmosphere. Best bit was our little boy kicking along!

4. Stereolab London - with Mary. Enough said really, they were really loud and manic, early 'lab. One of my first gigs. They were witty and beautiful, really good.

5. Lou Reed Royal Albert Hall - It was Emmas birthday and i was skint. I remember phoning some competition in the free paper on the tube. And winning! It all just fell into place. He gave us some of the oldies, enough to make us grin for days, wear black and smoke loads of cigerattes for weeks after. It so made up for the time we had tickets for John Cale only for a idiot gunman to cause a blockade that went nicely around our road!

Shiny
10-31-2007, 06:19 PM
"-->fiery furnaces, berkeley. nov 2007."

"3. Animal Collective Brighton Nov 2007"

How did you guys get to November already?! :x Did I sleep through something?

pierrecoghill
10-31-2007, 06:29 PM
wonder years
seinfeld
curb your enthusiasm
the simpsons
the cosby show

little_airport
10-31-2007, 07:36 PM
01 dear nora and cftpa at some dude's house in oberlin, ohio. 2005. there were maybe ten people in attendance. got to hang out and watch laguna beach with katy davidson before she played.

02 of montreal at the blind pig in ann arbor, michigan. 2004. was super excited to finally see of montreal. had been looking forward to it for like a year and their live show was just so much better than i expected. they actually still played a few old songs at that time. met my friend paul (paulpaul) at that show.

03 tullycraft, the apples, and casper and the cookies at subterranean in chicago. 2006. they were one of my favorite bands at that time and i hadn't seen them until then. they played with the apples in stereo and casper and the cookies. they don't hit the midwest very often so there were a lot of people there to see tullycraft and we sang all the words to all the songs. it was fantastic.

04 the besties, poison control center, and the hat company in my friend alexa's basement. ypsilanti, michigan. 2007. the pcc fucking brought the house down. they are probably the best live band i've ever seen and it was way sweet to see them rock a basement. oh, and patrick played in his undies.

05 elf power with the homeville circle and the hat company. toledo, ohio. 2006. this night was rather surreal. seeing a band i actually like in my hometown doesn't happen often. the show was promoted quite well and there were like a hundred people there. elf power liked our band. saw the homeville circle for the first time and was overwhelmed with how good they are. there were quite a few townhallers in the room.

pinocchio
10-31-2007, 08:58 PM
rainer maria better version tour, rescue when i was in tour in ohio, madeline a couple times, aloha fucked my mind up, i don't know there are too many really

lou2ser
10-31-2007, 09:57 PM
OTC: Black Foliage Tour (1999?). Hands down the best show I have ever seen. They opened for Stereolab and the show was beyond sold out but my friend and we got lucky and ran into someone wearing an e6 shirt close to the front of the line. He was from Arkansas and he is a saint for letting us cut in line.

Circulatory System: Popfest 2006. My second CS show and the first time I had seen Will and company since the OTC reunion in 2004. I spent the entire set drunkenly videotaping the band from the back bar at the 40 watt. It makes the list because I can go back and watch it anytime I want and I always end up on my feet dancing along with the band.

Guided by Voices: Second to last show ever (12/30/2004). Not the best sounding GBV show I ever saw but it's the best time I ever had a show. I managed to carefully balance my alcohol intake between sober and puking. There's nothing like standing arm in arm with strangers yelling out Bob lyrics.

centro-matic: 10th Anniversary (3/4/2006). For most of my life I ignored local music. I thought it was crap and not worth my time. For the most part that was true, but I overlooked centro-matic until their 10th anniversary show. Dallas has some pretty great bands now but this show made me realize that centro-matic didn't suck.

Dinosaur Jr: sometime in 1997. My 1st concert, of course it makes the list.

Word of advise, keep track of what band's you're seeing. I saw so many great shows starting in 1997 that I have no recollection of. Now I keep a little calendar of who I'm seeing and when; makes looking back much easier. 70+ shows so far this year. :)

funeralpudding
10-31-2007, 11:06 PM
4. Stereolab London - with Mary. Enough said really, they were really loud and manic, early 'lab. One of my first gigs. They were witty and beautiful, really good.

Hell yeah. I saw Stereolab on all of their early nineties jaunts through Austin, but one show in '94 gave me my best concert momento. The band was batting around a blown-up animal onstage and as it finally deflated Laetitia flung it into the crowd, and I swear I jumped four feet off the ground to snag it out of the air. It was kind of a reindeer thing. I put it on my wall at home. It wasn't until I moved a few years later, and hung it on my wall at a different angle that I could see the asshole. It was actually a blow-up fuck-sheep, and in a way I'm glad I didn't knock off what it really was at first.

Best shows:

Super Furry Animals - 2002, Rings Around The World tour, small club, quadraphonic sound set-up, soaring new songs, perhaps musically the best concert I've seen.

Pixies - June 2004, the first of four reunion shows at Brixton Academy, London. The Pixies were my favorite band while they were still around (I'm old), and never saw them when they were still together, and was a little pissed at having to pay the equivalent of about three hundred bucks for two tickets. My wife and I showed up in the afternoon with already a couple dozen people in front of us, got right up front, during the show I had to grab the rail and hold the surging crowd off my wife, I slipped taking a picture and wife was temporarily crushed, she couldn't breathe and had to be pulled over the rail by security (during "Bone Machine"). But musically, the rest of the show was just as tight and euphoric from a hundred feet away. I don't think I've ever had a show so completely transport me back to brilliantly happy teen times (probably happier than they really were)

Durutti Column - 2003 Ronnie Scott's, London - Vini, one of my idols, in a small famous jazz club, awesome set with him, Bruce Mitchell on drums, and a guy playing samples and beats and shit from Mac laptop... afterwards we went downstairs to get my poster signed, and started talking to Vini's manger, who cottoned to me and wife and invited us in. I got to talk to Vini for about five minutes, I mentioned 24 Hour Party People and he shared anecdotes about Tony Wilson. Fooking brilliant.

of Montreal - Jan 2003, Water Rats, London - their first UK show, my first of Montreal show. My wife (then-girlfriend) had gone to school in London and until I broke down and sold all my shit to move to be with her, in one of the packages i sent her I included a copy of Aldhills Arboretum, and when she told me how much she loved it, I loved that album even more. I moved to London and one month later this show just happened to be taking place. Crowds in London don't tend to move around a lot during shows, but we did, and lost it at the set-closing "Death Dance", spinning wife around and dancing like fools.

Pavement - '99. Last tour. By coincidence my work had sent me to Houston the night of the show there, so I saw that, then the two Austin shows, and after the second Bob Nastovich hung out with several fans talking about all kinds of shit, and hooked several of us up with guest list passes for the next night in Dallas. And then I ran into him and Spiral and Ibold at Whataburger by my friend's apartment in Austin at like 1 AM. First, all four shows were killer, and varied... but in Dallas, the crowd kept shouting for songs, so I threw in my requests for "Forklift", and then during the encore they did it, and it was a glorious sloppy mess, and Malkmus said "we shouldn't have tried that last one, sorry." but I don't know if I've had a single happier moment at a concert.

Lots of others I could list: my first proper show of Primus opening up for Rush in '91, Ween, Junior Brown, the Orb, OTC opening for Stereolab (did you see the Austin show, lou2ser?), Cocteau Twins '94, Animal Collective '07, Ramones '94, Polysics, Phish (yeah that's right, bitches)

stompclapclap
10-31-2007, 11:20 PM

i'm just stupid............and also living in da future

canyr
11-01-2007, 02:42 AM

Yeah, this is what I meant !

gwilym
11-01-2007, 03:12 AM
Boredoms - 77 BOA DRUM 7/7/07 - the best fucking show to take place ever, 77 drummers in a concentric circle around the boredoms, featuring people and drummers from bands like lightning bolt, NNCK, sunburned hand of the man, andrew w.k., etc. Amazing. They started around 7 and ended just after sunset. The sound was mind-blowing, as was the set up.

All Night Indian Concert, May 2005 - Artists like Buddhaditya Mukherjee, Ramesh Mishra, Tripti Mukherjee and Aashish Khan (my guru's guru) solidified my interest and dedication to Indian Classical Music. I'll never forget when I woke up from a half sleep-daze to hear Tripti Mukherjee doing some wild shit with her voice (called gamak, but its too hard to explain here) and being blown away. All night indian music concerts are where its at.

Peter Brotzmann/Han Bennink - Seriously, enough said.

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - the first show of their last tour before they imploded, it was fucking amazing. I was 15, wearing an AFI sweatshirt and my dad took me. Such a cool experience.

Sunburned Hand of the Man - Bard College, 2006 - I booked this show, and opened for them, and it was an amazing experience. It was the first time I had seen them live, it was really loud, and raucus and ridiculous and amazing. Good times.

Honorable mentions:
Super Furry Animals - Barry, Wales - Right before Love Kraft came out, they wore light up suits, the bass was sooo loud and good, and it was just great. This show got me into the band and made them one of my favorites.

Pandit Pran Nath by way of La Monte Young/Marianne Zazeela - The Dream House - although I think LMY is an arrogant fool and cant sing worth a damn, listening to Pandit Pran Nath tapes on a really good sound system in one of my favorite installation environments (the dream house) for 5 hours was pretty damn cool.

Acid Mothers Temple & The Melting Paraiso UFO - sometime this past summer, Knitting Factory - i love them. so good.

Marshall Allen, William Parker, some awesome drummer - Marshall Allen of SUN RA ARKESTRA and WILLIAM PARKER. Yeah. The drummer fucking slayed too.

Shiny
11-01-2007, 11:56 AM
Yeah, this is what I meant !

I figured it was a typo the first time, but the second time made me wonder if I'd gone insane and November really DID happen already.

lou2ser
11-01-2007, 12:19 PM
OTC opening for Stereolab (did you see the Austin show, lou2ser?)

Nope.

jefferoo
11-01-2007, 02:23 PM
#1) My Morning Jacket - Bonnaroo, 2004 (Best show ever. They played in the rain.)
#2) Pink Floyd - Chicago 1994 (Enough said)
#3) Janes Addiction - Chicago 1997 (I litterally had to leave early because it was too good.)
#4) Fugazi - Chigago 2001 (Enough said)
#5) Aphex Twin - Chicago 1995 (Dancing bears, and a guy shaving part of his head. I met Richard afterward)

Honorable mentions:

Metallica w/ Danzig and Suicidal Tendancies - Tinley Park 1994
Lou Reed w/ Laurie Anderson - NYC 2005 (Free show on Canal St., less than 100 in attendance.)
Morrissey - NYC, Oct 28th, 2007 (A few nights ago)
Dungen - NYC Siren Festival, 2005
Of Montreal - NYC, 2002 (And just about every other show they've ever played here.)
High on Fire - Brooklyn 2003
The Thermals - Brooklyn 2003
Donovan - NYC 2004

my first big show was Megadeth opening for Aerosmith 1993

305MURDERFOREN666
11-01-2007, 08:09 PM
1. rock the bells '07
me and my nigga hit this up. nas, pharoahe, talib kweli & mos def (who i don't normally like, but they were good), jedi mind tricks (yuck), immortal technique (okay i guess), and MOTHERFUCKING WU-TANG! shit ruled. wu-tang killed it. we was high as mu'fu's, perfect summer day.

2. fucked up '06
saw this in portland two summers ago in this hole-in-the-wall artspace. shit was intense. there were a lot of stinky dudes in the audience and a ton of scene fags, but it was still pretty nasty. YEAH YEAH!

that might be it. i've seen a few others, all of which i enjoyed, but they weren't necessarily top 5 material. overall, i haven't seen a lot of concerts (i spent my teen years in miami and go to a college where everyone likes shitty jam bands).