PDA

View Full Version : I know that there aren't too many sports fans here

VenusInFurs341
10-28-2007, 08:25 PM
But this is just ridonkulus http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7NmmKTMQzE

funeralpudding
10-28-2007, 09:46 PM
Trinity is in San Antonio, my home town... this year - Spurs again. Sorry.

pinocchio
10-29-2007, 06:02 AM
golden state will own this year. the spurs fear a healthy baron.

starman
10-29-2007, 07:46 AM
Boston Celtics, end of story.

305MURDERFOREN666
11-01-2007, 07:58 PM
i don't think the celtics are gonna do it. it'll be like the nuggets all over again. but garnett, allen and pierce are stand-up dudes, so it might work out.

my pick? no fucking clue, but hopefully not the spurs

pinocchio
11-01-2007, 09:24 PM
i'm going with golden state or the bulls. if not, the suns or the magic. let's get it down on the spurs!

pinocchio
11-01-2007, 09:25 PM
i really wish i could be comfortable with saying the knicks

305MURDERFOREN666
11-01-2007, 11:06 PM
i actually like the knicks' team this year. i don't really care about character in sports though; i laughed through the entire marbury/thomas debacle.

if the heat lose it again this year (and they probably will, although i'm feeling a little better after the trade), i'd really like to see the knicks and bulls meet in the play-offs. i saw the bulls play the heat in the first round of 2006, and they blew my mind. they have wallace now, but they're still a pretty incredible assemblage. although any goodwill i have for them will evaporate if/when the kobe trade goes through.

funeralpudding
11-02-2007, 07:00 AM
i actually like the knicks' team this year. i don't really care about character in sports though; i laughed through the entire marbury/thomas debacle.

if the heat lose it again this year (and they probably will, although i'm feeling a little better after the trade), i'd really like to see the knicks and bulls meet in the play-offs. i saw the bulls play the heat in the first round of 2006, and they blew my mind. they have wallace now, but they're still a pretty incredible assemblage. although any goodwill i have for them will evaporate if/when the kobe trade goes through.

Why, if you don't care about character in sports? Kobe is a prime example of why character matters - he's a selfish prick who single-handedly destroyed a championship team. It's kind of difficult cheering for somebody like him, or Jason Kidd, who kicked his wife in the belly while pregnant and spit french fries in her face. How do you turn off the part of the brain that remembers that in order to cheer for him?

Oddly, though, I don't have as big a problem with Barry Bonds as most do. I guess it's the fine line between grumpy and mean.

jefferoo
11-02-2007, 08:48 AM
I was watching the world cup when Zidane headbutted that dude.
Thats as far as I go into the world of sports.

305MURDERFOREN666
11-02-2007, 12:20 PM
Why, if you don't care about character in sports? Kobe is a prime example of why character matters - he's a selfish prick who single-handedly destroyed a championship team. It's kind of difficult cheering for somebody like him, or Jason Kidd, who kicked his wife in the belly while pregnant and spit french fries in her face. How do you turn off the part of the brain that remembers that in order to cheer for him?

Oddly, though, I don't have as big a problem with Barry Bonds as most do. I guess it's the fine line between grumpy and mean.

i guess i just don't subscribe to the average white male journalist's obsession with ethics in sports. i don't give a shit about doping in baseball. i love ron artest. who cares if michael vick fights dogs? off-court issues don't really matter to me, as long as they aren't egregious (as is the case with kidd). PUT PETE ROSE IN THE HALL OF FAME!

i guess character matters a little to me in the case with kobe, but he's about the only asshole in the nba that i don't like. the only other players i actively dislike are nowitzki and duncan, which has nothing at all to do with their character.

funeralpudding
11-02-2007, 01:03 PM
the only other players i actively dislike are nowitzki and duncan, which has nothing at all to do with their character.

The main reason people hate Tim Duncan is because he keeps kicking their asses. It starts to get old. I had real hate for the Lakers of the 80's and 90's. They had talent, I just hated them for some odd reason. And now I realize it was because they kept fucking winning. It can get aggravating. The only thing to do, like a semi-famous Republican once said about rape, is lay back and just let it happen. Bite a pillow maybe. That's about all non-Spurs fans are going to be able to do this year, there's a definite hunger to repeat like never before, to finally quiet the critics. Probably won't totally silence the hate, but the golden glare of a fifth shiny trophy will be a nice distraction.

305MURDERFOREN666
11-02-2007, 01:38 PM
yeah, the spurs are a team with the precision of an assembly line. however robotic perfection also means they're robotic. it's like man vs. big blue.

funeralpudding
11-02-2007, 02:34 PM
The day robots move like Parker or Ginobili, we are doomed as a race ;)

VenusInFurs341
11-02-2007, 09:32 PM
I'm a chicagoan and I absolutely love the bulls I am really pulling for them. By the way, to all of those who have not witnessed the bulls over the past 6 years they will win probably about 2 of their first 12 games, they never do well at the beginning of seasons dont judge them until later. All Chicago news sources are positive that Kobe will not be traded and the gm of the Bulls has said that they never even talked to the Lakers about the deal and this is all media fabrication...and the bulls lost again tonight cuz the beginning of seasons for them always always always suck

mikehattem
11-05-2007, 03:41 AM
I grew up watching Baseball, basketball and football. Now all I watch is English soccer and some MLS. But I have to disagree about ethics in sports. It absolutely matters. As a lifelong fan of baseball who is extremely knowledgeable about the history of the game, I can tell you that guys like Bonds and Sosa and Giambi are flat-out cheaters. Look at a picture of Bonds or Sosa when they were rookies or even 23-24 and then look at them now. I'm not saying one is worse than the other and I think Kobe is a scumbag but these guys CHEATED to get ahead. Absolutely disgraceful and insulting to the fans and every one who's ever played the game from Little League to MLB.

Mike

jefferoo
11-05-2007, 05:33 PM
I'm a chicagoan and I absolutely love the bulls

I grew up in the Chi, till I was 20. I remember watching Jordan, Pippen, Rodman and the rest of The Dream Team, thinking "There is no goddamn way any team will ever be as good as this one". After that I saw no real point in following sports.

305MURDERFOREN666
11-05-2007, 06:30 PM
I grew up watching Baseball, basketball and football. Now all I watch is English soccer and some MLS. But I have to disagree about ethics in sports. It absolutely matters. As a lifelong fan of baseball who is extremely knowledgeable about the history of the game, I can tell you that guys like Bonds and Sosa and Giambi are flat-out cheaters. Look at a picture of Bonds or Sosa when they were rookies or even 23-24 and then look at them now. I'm not saying one is worse than the other and I think Kobe is a scumbag but these guys CHEATED to get ahead. Absolutely disgraceful and insulting to the fans and every one who's ever played the game from Little League to MLB.

Mike

there's a certain immeasurability in sports though. the game remains the same, but the circumstances change. babe ruth was a great player in his time, but he was also a fat, debauched motherfucker. how would a guy like that fare in today's game? bonds and co. may have cheated, but can you imagine what they would've done in ruth's time (even without steroids)? you can't view achievements one-dimensionally when the level of talent is constantly evolving.

the game changes. people use steroids now. personally, i think steroids should be legal at the professional level. if you're dumb enough to take 'em, then go ahead. it'll only make the game better, and it'll eliminate all the fog surrounding baseball right now. but that's just me.

305MURDERFOREN666
11-05-2007, 06:32 PM
I grew up in the Chi, till I was 20. I remember watching Jordan, Pippen, Rodman and the rest of The Dream Team, thinking "There is no goddamn way any team will ever be as good as this one". After that I saw no real point in following sports.

i find the bulls of today way more interesting than the bulls of the late 80s/90s (although they certainly aren't better)

mikehattem
11-10-2007, 05:43 AM
there's a certain immeasurability in sports though. the game remains the same, but the circumstances change. babe ruth was a great player in his time, but he was also a fat, debauched motherfucker. how would a guy like that fare in today's game? bonds and co. may have cheated, but can you imagine what they would've done in ruth's time (even without steroids)? you can't view achievements one-dimensionally when the level of talent is constantly evolving.

the game changes. people use steroids now. personally, i think steroids should be legal at the professional level. if you're dumb enough to take 'em, then go ahead. it'll only make the game better, and it'll eliminate all the fog surrounding baseball right now. but that's just me.

I understand what you're saying but that was the great thing about baseball. You could compare players over different eras because the game was essentially the same. Pitchers still threw 85-90mph, etc... But ever since the mid 90s you can't do that anymore. Current stats have no historical perspective. Big changes made to favor hitters like smaller parks, the lowering of the pitcher's mound, steroids, and the extreme watering down of talent by expansion have made it impossible to compare Babe Ruth's numbers to anyone nowadays. In Ruth's days there were only 32 starting pitchers in the league (8 teams x 4 man rotation) now due to the expansion there are 70 in the AL (14 teams x 5 man rotation). That means these guys nowadays are hitting what would've been minor league pitchers up until 1960 around 60% of the time. To me, numbers today are nowhere near impressive as those from the first half of the century. And steroids are illegal and anyone who uses them are CHEATERS!!! and usually LIARS too. Does anyone really think Bonds didn't use steroids?? Look at a picture of him from the early 90s and then look at one now. Ridiculous. Everytime he denies it, he's insulting the game and anyone who's ever cared about it.

Mike

DavidLeeRoth
11-10-2007, 06:48 AM
I hope you Spurs fans (there is such a thing?) know that this year you won't sneak past the Suns playing dirty basketball. The Suns will own the west.

VenusInFurs341
11-11-2007, 09:34 AM
I dreamt I had a ticket to the world series game four and it was between the red sox and the indians and the red sox were about to sweep the indians...weird