PDA

View Full Version : recommend a good music magazine?

tralala
10-21-2007, 11:29 PM
i've never taken too much notice in music magazines, but i read one today and it sparked my interest. i don't remember what it was called but this month it had a big interview with deerhunter and had some interviews/ads with a few bands that i was really surprised to see in a magazine because they're not well known yet. so the magazine was cool, with a mix of unknown up'n'comers and already-high-ranking-indie bands.... it was basically a whole lot of interviews, with a few album ads and record reviews. kinda neat.

anyway... i guess what i'm asking is if anyone subscribes to any music magazines that they really enjoy that cover a side of the musical spectrum that would interest people who read an elephant 6 message board. thaaaaaaaanks!

patman?
10-21-2007, 11:44 PM
I would subscribe to The Wire if I had the cash. That's about all I know. Not really E6-related whatsoever, though. Probably not the kind of thing you're looking for.

tralala
10-22-2007, 12:30 AM
doesn't have to be e6-related of course... i doubt such a thing exists... just a magazine with a good taste for interesting music

jefferoo
10-22-2007, 07:51 AM
I like NME and UNCUT.
NME is a kinda tarty British mag that covers a lot of ground, while making fun of practically everyone... an entertaining read.
UNCUT is a very thick magazine that usually has a big retrospective on a certain era of an artists career that almost treats that era like it is current. I have an issue that covers David Bowie's retreat to Berlin and collaboration with Iggy Pop in 30 pages or so. It wouldn't be uncommon to find a thirty page article about say something like The Kinks "Village Green..." era. If you are into classic rock, it really does its homework, and it usually comes with a CD. They also are pretty good at covering new music, just not with the same flare for narrative.

Spikyfred
10-22-2007, 11:50 AM
i read one today and it sparked my interest. i don't remember what it was called but this month it had a big interview with deerhunter and had some interviews/ads with a few bands that i was really surprised to see in a magazine because they're not well known yet. so the magazine was cool, with a mix of unknown up'n'comers and already-high-ranking-indie bands.... it was basically a whole lot of interviews, with a few album ads and record reviews. kinda neat.
!
That might have been Paste it fits the description they have a mix in every issue and they usually have some good stories. I read SPIN to which is a decent magazine

lou2ser
10-22-2007, 11:55 AM
i've never taken too much notice in music magazines, but i read one today and it sparked my interest. i don't remember what it was called but this month it had a big interview with deerhunter and had some interviews/ads with a few bands that i was really surprised to see in a magazine because they're not well known yet. so the magazine was cool, with a mix of unknown up'n'comers and already-high-ranking-indie bands.... it was basically a whole lot of interviews, with a few album ads and record reviews. kinda neat.

anyway... i guess what i'm asking is if anyone subscribes to any music magazines that they really enjoy that cover a side of the musical spectrum that would interest people who read an elephant 6 message board. thaaaaaaaanks!

Fader

uncle eggma
10-23-2007, 03:22 PM
mojo is the best music magazine currently in print.

Aqualad
10-23-2007, 03:36 PM
Ebony

dust
10-23-2007, 08:05 PM
they're all bad. read stuff online for free!

The0wlsgo
10-24-2007, 12:33 PM
signal to noise is a cool expeirimental music magazine they have allot of stuff in each issue aswell.

patman?
10-24-2007, 12:38 PM
mojo is the best music magazine currently in print.

I just looked at Mojo's homepage, and they call Liam Gallagher "The greatest Rock'n'roll singer of his generation." I think that's empirical evidence suggesting elsewise.

I'm telling you all, The Wire is where it's at. You don't really get better.

jefferoo
10-24-2007, 06:56 PM
Ebony

is that supposed to be funny?

yayablahblah
10-24-2007, 07:02 PM
mojo are good english magazine
magnet is good for info, their opinions are kinda narrow
skyscraper is kinda good too

jefferoo
10-24-2007, 08:17 PM
is maximumrocknroll still around? That was oldschool. I remember reading about greenday in that long before dookie. Maybe I should have posted this in the "zines" thread.

jkirkpleasant
10-24-2007, 09:09 PM
i miss the bees knees. if there was an e6 devoted zine, that'd be it.
dagger is also a great one.
the glossy mags mostly suck to me, but if i'm browsing i look at magnet,
option, and puncture, though the last two probably aren't around anymore.

rogersbowne
10-25-2007, 07:32 AM
the problem is british magazines cost (caust) a buttload to get in america. 2nd do not get Alternative Press, which is really just a 8th graders music scene in paper form.

dust
10-25-2007, 12:59 PM
MRR is still around. pretty stuck in the past though.

the only music magazines i read are xxl, vibe, and occasionally the wire.

uncle eggma
10-25-2007, 01:57 PM
I just looked at Mojo's homepage, and they call Liam Gallagher "The greatest Rock'n'roll singer of his generation." I think that's empirical evidence suggesting elsewise.

I'm telling you all, The Wire is where it's at. You don't really get better.

over the the past year or so mojo has had the beatles (sgt pepper), david gilmour, syd barrett, and brian wilson on the cover. and great articles on all of those artists, as well as sly and robbie, james brown, iggy pop, bowie etc. i could care less if they like oasis or not.

uncle eggma
10-25-2007, 01:59 PM
although the current wire has a good article on sonny simmons.

starman
10-26-2007, 04:26 AM
Nothing out there really satisfies me, but Under the Radar" isn't a bad mag in my opinion. It is only quarterly, but covers a lot of ground and I agree with a lot of their opinions. The name is kind of ironic though because a lot of the bands are just your normal college/indie bands that anybody into indie has heard of, but better than Rolling Stone.

mikehattem
10-26-2007, 08:02 PM
Mojo, Paste, and Fader are pretty good. Magnet's ok too.

uncle eggma
10-27-2007, 12:20 PM
magnet is way too "hip".

gwilym
10-31-2007, 04:35 AM
I would say signal to noise or wire are your best bet. i mean, if you like experimental/avant-garde/esoteric shit.