PDA

View Full Version : Anybody listen to 'The Clean'

denialorcoped
10-16-2007, 09:02 PM
I just discovered them; i got the anthology album, it is sooooo goood.

jaimi
10-16-2007, 11:08 PM
Yes! Weren't they rad? My favorites are "Anything could happen" and "Getting older". Oh and "Whatever I do it's right". I've been obsessed with all things Flying Nun and New Zealand for awhile now.

denialorcoped
10-17-2007, 09:02 PM
Do you know the lyrics to 'Anything could happen'? I would be grateful if you gave it a shot.

uncle eggma
10-17-2007, 09:07 PM
in my opinion they were the best flying nun band. you can't beat tally ho.

little_airport
10-17-2007, 09:28 PM
definitely the best flying nun band if not best new zealand band. i heard they're playing a few dates in nyc this fall. wish i could afford to go see them.

uncle eggma
10-17-2007, 10:16 PM
that would be a fantastic show. david kilgour's solo material is pretty solid too. i would say that the clean are the best new zealand group too if not for one other band...split enz!

Christophe dininski
10-17-2007, 10:27 PM
The clean are a nice band David Kilgour played a show over here in Sydney recently with Yo La Tengo, he even joined them on stage towards the end of the night which was nice.
Flying Nun is an awesome record label I didn't know if much of there music made its way too far out of NZ though. I once read that Eric Gaffney from seBADoh fame dissed Australian music saying it was shitty and I guess in some ways it is if you compare aces to spades.
Some cool flying nun bands I like include Garageland and especially the 3D's,also Bailter Space a really quite rad too, they hardly ever tour to Sydney.

little_airport
10-17-2007, 10:56 PM
the bats are another fantastic band from new zealand.

uncle eggma
10-18-2007, 12:13 AM
as are the chills and the verlaines.also good, but quite different: the dead c.

uncle eggma
10-18-2007, 12:18 AM
and why i haven't mentioned them yet i have no clue but chris knox and alec bathgate aka the tall dwarfs!! oh and the jean-paul sarte experience....okay i think i'm definitely out of new zealand bands now....

jaimi
10-18-2007, 11:07 AM
The Dead C!
I'm obsessed with Tall Dwarfs right now and I listened to the Jean-Paul Sartre Experience all the time in the spring and summer! "Flex", love that shit. I also love The Verlaines and The Chills and then there's Sneaky Feelings who are lot more poppy.

Then of course there's Nice, not the English prog rock group from the 70s but the NZ band from the late 80s, early 90s. They had two songs on the Adventures of Pete and Pete (was the soundtrack to that show phenomenal or what?). Their debut album was hard to track down, but it's a real gem. I never thought I'd be able to single out a favorite song of all time ever, but this is it. I can't not share this song with you guys. It'd just be cruel to keep it to myself:

Nice - Dear John (http://home.comcast.net/~youthinrevolt/dearjohn.mp3)

uncle eggma
10-18-2007, 08:40 PM
you weren't kidding, that is a fantastic song! thanks, i'm going to have to look into that band (the british prog nice are good too by the way). and yeah pete and pete pretty much rules.

samfromengland
10-20-2007, 04:29 PM
Cool song, that Dear John one.

I remember seeing The Clean in London in, I think, 1989. I chatted to them after the gig and they seemed like nice fellas...especially as I was 17, drunk, and probably talking crap. Someone asked for the lyrics to Anything Could Happen earlier in the thread...don't think I ever figured those out. Got a recording of Pavement singing it and Stephen Malkmus didn't have much of an idea either.

A newer NZ band I love: The Brunettes. And I'll just mention Flight of the Conchords here, while we're on the subject of New Zealand, just because I love them so very much.

uncle eggma
10-20-2007, 05:55 PM
bowie in space!