PDA

View Full Version : Good News for People Who Like Bad News

VenusInFurs341
09-17-2007, 07:45 PM
When I originally bought this album I almost immediately dismissed as generic garbage, but some 2 or 3 years later I have rediscovered it! It is reallllllly amazing, the energy the frustration with life and death, I love it, it has instantly moved up into my top albums list.

[Edited on 9-18-0707 by VenusInFurs341]

Stinkypoo1032
09-17-2007, 08:09 PM
a

tackledspoon
09-17-2007, 08:10 PM
I was already huge into Modest Mouse when that album came out and I felt some pangs of doubt when I heard that they'd taken a bit of a turn for the commercial, but I was never disappointed with this album. It flows wonderfully and has some of Issac's best lyrical turns, not to mention some hallmark Modest Mouse simple, but fucking great melodies.

tomatoesandradiowires
09-17-2007, 08:11 PM
Plus, The trumpet and banjo licks/riffs are all fucking awesome.

quixoticgoat
09-17-2007, 08:12 PM
that album makes me wanna punch myself in the face. repeatedly. terribly emo of me, i realize. but seriously. i hate it. the drumming is gawd awful. and so are 80% of the lyrics. i'll give it that there are a few songs that are not bad. but as a whole, it makes me wanna cry. it didnt help that i saw them perform like... three months later and they were terrible. and so were their fans.

[Edited on 9-18-0707 by quixoticgoat]

tackledspoon
09-17-2007, 08:12 PM
Also, a tip: If you happen to live near country roads, go for a night drive, roll down your windows and listen to "World At Large" at full volume sometime over the next few weeks. It's a beautiful song for this weather.

Stinkypoo1032
09-17-2007, 08:17 PM
a

tackledspoon
09-17-2007, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by quixoticgoat
that album makes me wanna punch myself in the face. repeatedly. terribly emo of me, i realize. but seriously. i hate it. the drumming is gawd awful. and so are 80% of the lyrics. i'll give it that there are a few songs that are not bad. but as a whole, it makes me wanna cry. it didnt help that i saw them perform like... three months later and they were terrible. and so were their fans.

[Edited on 9-18-0707 by quixoticgoat]
The drums are the worst part of this album (just as I typed this, I was listening to the cheesy drum fill in "Ocean Breathes Salty"), but everything else is good by me. The musicianship is far from masterful, but it doesn't have to be. Look what happened when they went out and got themselves a competent guitar player- not pretty.

Big-H
09-17-2007, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by tackledspoon
Also, a tip: If you happen to live near country roads, go for a night drive, roll down your windows and listen to "World At Large" at full volume sometime over the next few weeks. It's a beautiful song for this weather.

A few years back I gave this girl I had a crush on a Christmas card, and I was driving back from it, and the sun was just right or something, and the it was the end "classical" part and holy shit it felt so right like it was part of a movie.

tomatoesandradiowires
09-17-2007, 08:33 PM
I think it's cute/funny/odd you still say crush.

Big-H
09-17-2007, 09:01 PM
Meh, it wouldn't have been the same if I said "I wanted to fuck this girl so I gave her a card."

rogersbowne
09-17-2007, 09:16 PM
MM is awesome and that album is much better after a couple listens, but Lonesome Crowded West is the crowning MM achievement.

tomatoesandradiowires
09-18-2007, 03:26 AM
Originally posted by Big-H
Meh, it wouldn't have been the same if I said "I wanted to fuck this girl so I gave her a card."

That would have been a great way of putting it! we should make teeshirts.

09-18-2007, 10:01 AM
I like the first albums up to the Moon and Antarctica best! My favorite is This Is A Long Drive For Someone With Nothing to Think About, by far. I mean, "Dramamine"? You can't fuck with that.

Good News has a couple of pretty okay songs (the last one in particular) but I can't get into We Were Dead at all. There are too many fucking people in the band now.

Stinkypoo1032
09-18-2007, 02:49 PM
a

uncle eggma
09-18-2007, 02:57 PM
i prefer built to spill.

quixoticgoat
09-18-2007, 03:00 PM
i have deep rooted emotional connections to "this is a long drive..." it was my first modest mouse album and i am 95% positive that that was what i was listening to when i lost my v-card. it just sums up ages 17-20 for me.

anyway. i think that musically and lyrically, older modest mouse is better than the past two albums.

quixoticgoat
09-18-2007, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by uncle eggma
i prefer built to spill.
randy describes eternity is one of the greatest songs of all time

JoeJustJoe
09-19-2007, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by uncle eggma
i prefer built to spill.

Ditto.