PDA

View Full Version : Belle and Sebastian

pinocchio
09-16-2007, 02:05 PM
that post in the Elf Power thread got me thinking about how no one ever brings Belle and Sebastian up around here when we talk about good bands. does anyone put "tigermilk" or "if you're feeling sinister" up with their top 10 records? i always forget about the band when i talk about music and i've always loved them so much. let's talk about Belle and Sebastian.

pinocchio
09-16-2007, 02:53 PM
true that man. my favorite song is definitely "if you want me", but my fave album is definitely tiger milk. such a raw album all around. i love the honesty and story telling

SpikyFred
09-16-2007, 03:34 PM
I put Dear Catastrophe Waitress in my top 10 but i love all of there stuff especially If You're Feeling Sinister

radiowires
09-16-2007, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by pinocchio
true that man. my favorite song is definitely "if you want me", but my fave album is definitely tiger milk. such a raw album all around. i love the honesty and story telling

i absolutely agree, although my favorite song keeps changing. I suppose if forced to choose at gunpoint (this happens a lot) it's String Bean Jean; such a perfect carefree encapsulation of friendship in both lyric and tune. My favorite proper album is Tigermilk, but the Life Pursuit has now become a close second for me. Overall though I am most attached to the EPs.

B&S is discussed a lot though, here, dear pinocchio -- a search for "belle and sebastian" (not even B&S or other variants!) yielded around 10 pages of posts - I lost count. They're well loved. And of course the Dirty Dream No. 2 video suggests a mutual respect with E6ers.

pinocchio
09-16-2007, 03:46 PM
3...6...9 second of light is great. yeah i've only been here a year. i've never heard much mention of it.

robonuckket!
09-16-2007, 04:21 PM
yeah I have all their albums but tigermilk...i need to get on that.
and the EPs are great. Push Barman was one of my top 10 CDs for a long time.

tackledspoon
09-16-2007, 04:41 PM
I definitely forget about this band every time somebody asks me to name my favorites, despite the fact that they've made three or four of my favorite albums and I spent years trying to collect their full catalogue when I was younger (and ultimately succeeded!).
I'd say that "If You're Feeling Sinister" would make its way onto my top-10 of all-time.

Soma
09-16-2007, 04:47 PM
Belle & Sebastian *are* my favorite band. I've always been really partial to Boy With the Arab Strap. It just reminds me of summer in the best way possible.

feeling_retro
09-16-2007, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by jcmoods
Both tigermilk and if you're feeling sinister are two of my favorite albums.

mine too!

if you're feeling sinister helped me get through those awkward years in high school.
when i was fifteen i would go to school and feel so strange in my own skin, the only thing that felt right was belle and sebastian. that album helped me fall asleep at night and woke me up in the morning.

belle and sebastian is my favorite band next to neutral milk hotel.

Harnk
09-16-2007, 05:15 PM
that post in the Elf Power thread got me thinking about how no one ever brings Belle and Sebastian up around here when we talk about good bands. does anyone put "tigermilk" or "if you're feeling sinister" up with their top 10 records? i always forget about the band when i talk about music and i've always loved them so much. let's talk about Belle and Sebastian.

Tigermilk is shit...the rest is great. Love them dearly.

tackledspoon
09-16-2007, 05:36 PM
Fuck. I can't believe I had forgotten how amazing "Like Dylan in the Movies" is. The last verse of that song makes me feel hopeful about everything.

pinocchio
09-16-2007, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Harnk

Tigermilk is shit...the rest is great. Love them dearly.

i love the first few songs on Tigermilk. and the last song. and My Wandering Days Are Over is probably my 2nd favorite belle and sebastian song. but...that electro song or whatever (i can't remember the name) is kind of out of place and a couple of the songs aren't killer, but i still love it

stompclapclap
09-16-2007, 05:57 PM
you can never never never go wrong with b&s

pinocchio
09-16-2007, 06:04 PM
can we please keep this thread alive for a long, long time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGtJs3PngtI

tackledspoon
09-16-2007, 06:06 PM
Which B&S video supposedly has E6 guys in it?

pinocchio
09-16-2007, 06:10 PM
scott, julian, will hart

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_2eTZOSSvk

gorgeous video

radiowires
09-16-2007, 06:28 PM
Jeff is there too, with sheet over head and suitcase. Also other notables. I repeat my plea for someone in the know to close-caption this video with everyone of interest noted!!!!

Edited to say: I'd give it a try if I had any idea whatsoever how to put wording on videos, and/or the programs to give it a shot. There was an old thread with pretty much everyone in that video identified. Someone hunt it down. I'm into delegating responsibility tonight, ha! i.e. passing the buck.

[Edited on 9-17-0707 by radiowires]

robonuckket!
09-16-2007, 06:42 PM
You guys have inspired me to listen to If You're Feeling Sinister.
It's been too long.

Aqualad
09-16-2007, 09:55 PM
i love them but i didn't care for their new album at all.