PDA

View Full Version : piper at the gates...

uncle eggma
09-13-2007, 04:11 PM
...just got the royal treatment with a 3 disc reissue to celebrate the 40th anniversary. discs 1 and 2 are the mono and stereo versions of the original album. disc 3 is alternate versions of album tracks, singles (see emily play, arnold layne, painbox were all available of relics but whaever...) including the pretty hard to come by candy and a currant bun and apples and oranges, both barrett classics! fantastic packaging (its cloth covered) , extensive liner notes, pictures, and a barrett sketchbook are the icing on the cake. get it!!!!

kartoonz
09-13-2007, 04:23 PM
At first I was determined not to buy this since they left off Scream Thy Last Scream and Vegetable Man, but I'll probably break down and buy it anyways.

uncle eggma
09-13-2007, 04:48 PM
i know what you mean. i had high hopes for that rarities disc and was a bit underwhelmed also (especially the decision to not include the two you named as well as lucy leave, two of a kind, etc...) but still the mono/stereo versions were hard to pass up. as was a decent version of apples and oranges.

[Edited on 9-13-0707 by uncle eggma]

rogersbowne
09-13-2007, 05:02 PM
The mono version sounds amazing and the highlight of the bonus disc is the alternate version of Matilda Mother (diff lyrics and everything, sounds punkish). But alas I agree about scream and vegetable.

sashwap
09-13-2007, 05:47 PM
maybe "scream" and "vegetable" will be on a saucerful of secrets reissue. i'd buy that if they were, even though that album kinda sucks.

i got the 3 disc piper today and i love it so much. the alternate "matilda mother" is super great, better than the album version, amazingly. lot of energy.

Mutineer
09-13-2007, 07:00 PM
I fucking hate Pink Floyd.

BigBlackSmoke
09-13-2007, 08:42 PM
that sounds like a fucking sick set

el topo
09-14-2007, 05:08 AM
Just picked this up yesterday. Agree with all the comments above (except for "I fucking hate Pink Floyd"--that would be incongruous). Rarities disc could have been better, but I was surprised by what was included (had no idea that Matilda Mother would have completely different lyrics). I now probably own almost as many versions of Interstellar Overdrive as I do Strawberry Fields Forever, which is unnecessary, but man I was blown away by how different the mono version of the album was.

The Syd Barrett sketchbook was creepy.

JoeJustJoe
09-14-2007, 05:47 AM
Originally posted by Mutineer
I fucking hate Pink Floyd.

Mutineer thinks the Barenaked Ladies are one of the best bands ever. What do you expect?

el topo
09-14-2007, 08:15 AM
So does anyone know why there's a page in the Syd Barrett notebook that's been deleted ("for legal reasons," or whatever it says)? It directs you to the PinkFloyd.com website for an explanation, but I couldn't find anything.

RaelO
09-14-2007, 10:18 AM
This sounds like a sweet package.

Mutineer
09-14-2007, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by JoeJustJoe

Mutineer thinks the Barenaked Ladies are one of the best bands ever. What do you expect?

So you like Pink Floyd? That explains it.

You just like boring music.

JoeJustJoe
09-14-2007, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Mutineer

Originally posted by JoeJustJoe

So you like Pink Floyd? That explains it.

You just like boring music.

you must be a twelve yr old girl. That explains it.

pierrecoghill
09-14-2007, 11:09 AM
i could see myself saying the same thing as mutineer....if i had never known about syd barrett's pink floyd.

mutineer has probably only ever heard dark side of the moon which would understandably cause him to think that all pink floyd is a pile of garbage.

this is a very easy mistake to make and he should consider himself lucky to be a member of this board which will teach him to leave his ignorance behind him and listen to the piper at the gates of dawn! and the other early singles.....my favorite is either candy and a currant bun or apples and orange.....or maybe it would be so nice. i love putting those songs on mix cds for special ladies.

Mutineer
09-14-2007, 11:26 AM
I post in the general section of the myspace music forum and this same thing came up. That being me saying Pink Floyd sucks shit and is boring and everyone wondering what I'm on (though doesn't enjoying them require you to actually be on something in the first place?). Long story short, someone convinced me to download Piper at the Gates of Dawn and the Barrett solo album The Madcap Laughs. Well I remember the Pink Floyd album not making any impression on me at all, and the Barrett album being so boring I turned it off half way through.

Sorry, I just prefer, you know, catchy music. So I also don't like Sonic Youth, if anyone was wondering.

[Edited on 9-14-0707 by Mutineer]

el topo
09-14-2007, 12:34 PM
Mutineer's tastes aside (Syd Barrett not catchy? And you've heard Lucifer Sam and See Emily Play...or Candy and a Currant Bun or Apples and Oranges? None of which is remotely boring), I answered my own question about the censored page of Syd Barrett's notebook:

http://www.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/news/?y=07&id=0901

ﺶﻙﯔ
09-14-2007, 12:58 PM
mutineer sucks...pink floyd 4ever

Mutineer
09-14-2007, 01:03 PM
Fuck it, I'll download the Madcap Laughs again.

THIS HAD BETTER NOT DISAPPOINT OR ELSE!@W

JoeJustJoe
09-14-2007, 01:15 PM
Don't stop w/ the Barrett stuff. Check out Atom Heart Mother, More, & Meddle.

Harnk
09-14-2007, 01:33 PM
love Syd Barrett...Pipers is grey gloom and aimless. hate it. Bores me rotten. Madap Laughs is freakin' brilliant tho.

el topo
09-14-2007, 01:57 PM
Honestly I haven't heard all the PF stuff. Saucerful has its moments - I like it for the 60's psych atmosphere more than its actual quality. "More" I dig out every once in a while. And then I have Dark Side of the Moon (which I appreciate, but have to be in the mood for), Wish You Were Here (which I was disappointed in), and The Wall (which I keep just because of, oh, three songs). Oh and Relics.

What else should I get?

Harnk
09-14-2007, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by el topo
Honestly I haven't heard all the PF stuff. Saucerful has its moments - I like it for the 60's psych atmosphere more than its actual quality. "More" I dig out every once in a while. And then I have Dark Side of the Moon (which I appreciate, but have to be in the mood for), Wish You Were Here (which I was disappointed in), and The Wall (which I keep just because of, oh, three songs). Oh and Relics.

What else should I get?

The Wall only 3 songs? Are you mad, Son?????

idealfreedistribution
09-14-2007, 02:29 PM

What else should I get?

Make sure you have all the Syd-era Floyd stuff that wasn't on albums: singles, b-sides and outtakes.

I can't imagine anyone thinking that stuff isn't catchy.

raydavies02
09-14-2007, 02:58 PM
i just got this for my birthday. it is amazing. the syd-era floyd will always be my favorite.

a nice syd-era floyd singles, b-sides, etc catch-all if you can find it is a bootleg entitled "magnesium proverbs". highly highly recommended.

and the wall is a fucking horrible and totally narcissistic cocaine rock monolith of an album that should have been an EP. deadful. i prefer the final cut (which is also bad, but not nearly as bad as the wall).

rogersbowne
09-14-2007, 03:24 PM
Mutineer's tastes aside (Syd Barrett not catchy? And you've heard Lucifer Sam and See Emily Play...or Candy and a Currant Bun or Apples and Oranges? None of which is remotely boring), I answered my own question about the censored page of Syd Barrett's notebook:

http://www.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/news/?y=07&id=0901

thanks, i was wondering what it was and I wished i could have seen that wonderful picture in my book.

uncle eggma
09-14-2007, 03:48 PM
i like meddle better than dark side. meddle, the best post syd album imo.

Big-H
09-14-2007, 09:27 PM
Yeah, Meddle kicks ass. Honestly I think Wish is their best work, but Meddle rocks it.

I'd pick up the box if like...I was a Piper At The Gates nerd. It's a good CD, but that's kinda it.

P.S. I think Saucer is a very underrated Pink Floyd album. It doesn't really fit in with any other album they made, but that's what's so good about it. I bet Sigur Ros listed to it a lot.

el topo
09-15-2007, 06:01 AM
I like DSOTM, I made it sound like I didn't really, but I do, very much. Wish You Were Here needs more actual songs on it for me to really like it. I will check out Meddle, definitely. I've heard it's good.

As for The Wall, well, there were enough good songs for 1 album, but not a double. Another Brick in the Wall, Mother, Goodbye Blue Sky, Vera, Comfortably Numb, Waiting for the Worms...those I dig, the rest is murk murk murk.

For the most part, I'm a Syd PF fan.

Big-H
09-15-2007, 06:57 AM
Nobody Home is a very nice hidden gem in The Wall. But yeah, there's a lot of The Wall that's just filler to move the plot along/for Waters to complain.

Sorry, I'm a big Pink Floyd nerd, and kinda anti-Roger Waters which is funny.

uncle eggma
09-15-2007, 01:31 PM
saucer full of secrets and obscured by clouds are both underrated.

jefferoo
09-15-2007, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Big-H
Nobody Home is a very nice hidden gem in The Wall.
not quite hidden.
in the beginning of "empty spaces" there is actually a back-masked, hidden message. I know what it says, but you have to find out for yourselves.
It's reguarding Syd.

btw...
Wish You Were Here is the best post-syd album, no contest.

[Edited on 9-15-0707 by jefferoo]

uncle eggma
09-15-2007, 01:42 PM
i like the songs on that album, but to me, it suffers from that late 70's production. with that being said, there really isn't any pink floyd album that i don't enjoy on some level.

Big-H
09-16-2007, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by jefferoo

Originally posted by Big-H
Nobody Home is a very nice hidden gem in The Wall.
not quite hidden.
in the beginning of "empty spaces" there is actually a back-masked, hidden message. I know what it says, but you have to find out for yourselves.
It's reguarding Syd.

btw...
Wish You Were Here is the best post-syd album, no contest.

[Edited on 9-15-0707 by jefferoo]

Roger Waters: "Congratulations. You have just discovered the secret message. Please send your answers to 'Old Pink', Care of 'The Funny Farm', Chalfont..."
[interrupted by engineer James Guthrie who says] "Roger, Carolyn's on the phone..."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_wall#Trivia

Glad you're a WYWH fan too.

[Edited on 9-16-0707 by Big-H]

rogersbowne
09-16-2007, 10:46 AM
The Wall is not a collection of songs so a 1 disc album would never work. It is a story through song.

okinomiyaki-sensei
09-16-2007, 09:06 PM
I used to LOVE Piper at the Gates... but when I stopped smoking dope it kind of lost a lot of its appeal.

angelica
10-20-2007, 05:14 AM
Nobody Home is a very nice hidden gem in The Wall. But yeah, there's a lot of The Wall that's just filler to move the plot along/for Waters to complain.

Sorry, I'm a big Pink Floyd nerd, and kinda anti-Roger Waters which is funny.

Same here - I'm huge into Pink Floyd (and Syd... but Madcap and his self-titled are better than PATGOD in my opinion) but I start to like them progressively less and less as Roger Waters started assuming more creative dominance; can't stand anthing after The Wall (which is an album I only like parts of - Comfortably Numb, Run Like Hell, and Young Lust are my favorites -though these were all co-written by Gilmour...)

Meddle has to be my favorite post-Syd album; Echoes is 23 minutes of trippy perfection. And you get a happy Roger Waters singing about sitting on a beach in San Tropez, instead of making pointed complaints at people who screwed up his life.

uncle eggma
10-20-2007, 11:41 AM
i agree. wish you were here was the last great collaborative effort by the band. animals, the wall, and the final cut are all narcissistic ego strokes. that's not to that they don't have some good stuff on them, but still....

mikehattem
10-22-2007, 05:55 PM
i prefer the final cut (which is also bad, but not nearly as bad as the wall).

here, here. I liked most of the Floyd when I was 17 and dosing 5 days a week. Now, somewhat ironically, the stuff I like the most is the early psych records (and Meddle). My favorites from Piper are Matilda Mother and Flaming.

Mike

jefferoo
10-22-2007, 07:51 PM
Flaming.