PDA

View Full Version : Casper and the Cookies/Keith John Adams Split Pic Disc in Handknit bags! ltd ed of 40

piaptk
09-13-2007, 12:36 AM
Early one Sunday morning, Keith John Adams and Casper and the Cookies recorded a couple songs in my home studio in exchange for a place to sleep and some veggie pasta. One mic, in the middle of the room, no retakes/no overdubs. This 8" is PIAPTK's most labor intensive to date. These one-sided 8"s were silkscreened on the flipside and Kay Stanton from CATC HAND KNIT all of the bags! As KJA says "They also make very fetching hats". We made 50, but between silkscreening screwups and a rat chewing up a cord in the New Zealand pressing plant, there were only 40 that were usuable.

http://sota.llarian.net/PIAPTK/catckjarecordsmall.jpg
http://sota.llarian.net/PIAPTK/catcpackage.jpg
http://sota.llarian.net/PIAPTK/bags.jpg

Stormx
09-13-2007, 08:17 AM
Isn't pasta inherently vegetarian anyway?

dwightp
09-13-2007, 10:21 AM
He said 'veggie.' It's probably some of the groovy, red, green (,etc) kind.

This is probably one of the most diabolically clever vinyl releases ever. Awesome work Mike.

rogersbowne
09-13-2007, 10:59 AM
Just picked one up, when do they ship?

thugginit
09-13-2007, 01:14 PM
i think he meant what was in the pasta...instead of sausage and all that

pinocchio
09-13-2007, 02:02 PM
ever see the green and orange and black pasta? that's veggie pasta foolios.

theaddingmachine
09-13-2007, 03:54 PM
BLACK PASTA?

piaptk
09-13-2007, 05:08 PM
This was actually the green/red/tan pasta with garden grown zucchini, broccoli, squash and peppers. I've seen the black pasta, but never had it.

thugginit
09-13-2007, 05:12 PM
wellllllll...i think we are both right

dwightp
09-13-2007, 05:30 PM
are you a vegetarian mike?

piaptk
09-13-2007, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by dwightp
are you a vegetarian mike?

Wish I could say yes, but I can't. I eat meat a couple times a weekish. Not anymore than I have to, and usually more as a convenience thing. I was for a while, but I really felt like crap, even with vitamins and supplements. So I couldn't hang. I normally cook vegetarian, though.

piaptk
09-17-2007, 03:41 PM
All previous orders have now shipped. I only have a couple left and I think the Cookies are only selling theirs at CMJ. So, last chance!

rogersbowne
09-17-2007, 06:15 PM
Thanks, got mine in today. I am updating discogs.com and I was wondering which PIAPTK release number was assigned to the Vinyl Optimist's Club?

dreamer27
09-17-2007, 07:08 PM
Just bought mine. Expensive for an 8", but totally worth it for something this unique :)

piaptk
09-17-2007, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by dreamer27
Just bought mine. Expensive for an 8", but totally worth it for something this unique :)

There is no profit on this whatsoever. In fact, because of the ten that were unusable, I lost a fair chunk of money on them even selling them at $13. But, I had to give some to CATC and KJA to have/sell.

Between the cost of the lathe cuts (which are already expensive), shipping from New Zealand, yarn, shipping for the knit bags from Athens to Olympia, printing/cardstock for the b/w covers, rent at the community printshop where I did the silkscreening, half a bottle of silkscreen ink, emulsion, screen cleaner, Yarn cost, shipping from Olympia to Athens/London for the band copies, etc, this was a really ridiculously expensive endeavor.

I know they are expensive, but for something this limited and involved, they had to be. I probably could have eventually sold them all if I charged more to cover all expenses or make profit, but I hate to have to do that.

Same problem with my subscription club. The shaped/colored records are SOOOOO expensive to make in a short run (because of ridiculous setup costs), that if I charged even a minor markup, I'd never sell them all. I actually lost $1200 on the last series because of underbudgeting, currency exchange plummeting, etc.

The only records I will ever come close to making a profit on will be the full run records (Southerly, Optimists Club, Norfolk and Western, etc). But even then, in such short runs, they cost about $4 ea, meaning $6 potential profit, split between me and the bands = $3/record profit = $1500 total profit if I sell them ALL. And none of that even touches the 100s of man hours that are spent on this stuff.

So, I just want everyone to understand I am not trying to rip you off, completely the opposite. I just make this stuff because I love doing it and I love the music. Currently I have $13,585 of my own money invested (sunk) in the label. And I really do appreciate everyone who bought one, your support means a lot to me and makes it all worthwhile. I'm sure there are a ton of labels like HHBTM that are also pouring their hearts into this stuff and feel the exact same way. Thanks for supporting all of them.

piaptk
09-17-2007, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by rogersbowne
Thanks, got mine in today. I am updating discogs.com and I was wondering which PIAPTK release number was assigned to the Vinyl Optimist's Club?

PIAPTK - 1200501
The KJA/CATC split is actualy PIAPTK - 800801, not 67.

rogersbowne
09-17-2007, 08:18 PM
Hey I appreciate all the CATC releases you have put out and I have purchased both of them willingly.

dreamer27
09-17-2007, 08:26 PM
I wasn't trying to be an ass by saying they were expensive, I was jsut saying more than basic 8". That is totally fine with em though because you are getting a unique recording, awesome packaging, and a great product all together. I really appreciate you doing this, and apologize if I came off as rude.

piaptk
09-17-2007, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by dreamer27
I wasn't trying to be an ass by saying they were expensive, I was jsut saying more than basic 8". That is totally fine with em though because you are getting a unique recording, awesome packaging, and a great product all together. I really appreciate you doing this, and apologize if I came off as rude.

No, I absolutely agree with you, they are expensive. I just wanted everyone to know that it was out of necessity and not profit motivation. I didn't take offense to it at all.

dwightp
09-18-2007, 04:20 AM
It's great for us that you do love the music Mike - your label exudes cool, even if you aren't a vegetarian.

el topo
09-18-2007, 08:03 AM
I just got mine in the mail yesterday, and was really impressed with how quickly I got it. (My first thought was, "Didn't I order this, like, yesterday?") Unfortunately my hat doesn't fit my head, but it will make a lovely cozy for the album. Beautiful work.

RaelO
09-18-2007, 02:48 PM
I want one, but my next paycheck isn't until next month. :(

c_elephant
11-14-2007, 12:26 PM
I would give up my unborn children to have a copy of this record :(

dwightp
11-14-2007, 01:27 PM
I was vaguely under the impression that more were/are-being made.

samanthafayIFD
11-15-2007, 10:34 AM
patrick fleming declared that there were only 2 left at the casper show in Lexington on Monday night.

piaptk
11-16-2007, 12:14 AM
I was vaguely under the impression that more were/are-being made.

Well, as it turned out, SOOO many of them ended up being defective, that Peter in New Zealand made me another 20. I just got them in the mail yesterday. I have to silkscreen them, though. Some of them will be sent to the bands to sell, and a handful will be available on www.piaptk.com. This will bring it back up to the original count of 50 copies. It will probably be a week or two. Sign up on our email list to know when they are available!

piaptk
11-16-2007, 12:16 AM
I would give up my unborn children to have a copy of this record :(

I'll totally trade you... but I don't need anymore unborn children. Do you have anything else to barter?

c_elephant
11-16-2007, 08:59 AM
I'll totally trade you... but I don't need anymore unborn children. Do you have anything else to barter?

Like old school barter?!?! Neat!!

this is a sorta up to date list of my musical junks: http://www.recordnerd.com/lists/c_

I have monies as well but I'd understand your desire for a trade. Much of that stuff says "NOT FOR TRADE" but so great is my desire for this single, that it could happen!

Btw, I recently ordered the optimists club and deep punk and both releases are masterclass. You put so much love into your releases and I really cant thank you enough for that!!

Best,

Chris Gilbert

c_elephant
11-16-2007, 09:02 AM
Heh, though I'd be super reluctant to trade E6 stuff... I've made so much progress with that part of my collection... :)!

starman
11-19-2007, 02:46 AM
I'll trade you my copy for your copy of Microuniversity 7", c_elephant. PM if you are interested. There are several other things I am interested in too, so PM me anyways I guess, lol.

c_elephant
11-21-2007, 11:55 AM
I'll trade you my copy for your copy of Microuniversity 7", c_elephant. PM if you are interested. There are several other things I am interested in too, so PM me anyways I guess, lol.

PM'd!

piaptk
11-22-2007, 02:30 AM
damn... I shouldve read this before we arranged the trade. There is some stuff on your "Not for trade" list that I'd much rather have. :-( You got off easy... ha!

c_elephant
11-22-2007, 11:34 PM
damn... I shouldve read this before we arranged the trade. There is some stuff on your "Not for trade" list that I'd much rather have. :-( You got off easy... ha!

Email'd you about this! I wan't you to feel 100% good about the trade!!

piaptk
11-27-2007, 12:01 AM
FYI, I finally got the replacements for the screwups in. There are only 20 more available, and 8 of them go to the bands. So, I have like 10 more available for sale at www.piaptk.com if anyone is interested. Go to the discography page to order.

Harnk
11-27-2007, 01:05 PM
Selling CDs in hand-knit bags is like serving lobster on a cordouroy balloon. Pointless and infintile. What jerkoff actually receives joy/pleasure in this HHBTM phenomenon?

lou2ser
11-27-2007, 01:11 PM
Selling CDs in hand-knit bags is like serving lobster on a cordouroy balloon. Pointless and infintile. What jerkoff actually receives joy/pleasure in this HHBTM phenomenon?

PIAPTK (not HHBTM) is selling 8" screen printed lathe cuts in hand-knit bags. This jerkoff appreciates it.

Nice to know fatherhood has mellowed you out.

Harnk
11-27-2007, 02:36 PM
PIAPTK (not HHBTM) is selling 8" screen printed lathe cuts in hand-knit bags. This jerkoff appreciates it.

Nice to know fatherhood has mellowed you out.

Sorry Lou.

funeralpudding
11-27-2007, 03:55 PM

Handmade > factory produced any day. Plus, after costs they can't be making much more than one or two hundred bucks on the whole thing, so it's obviously a labor of love (like self-publishing a book)

can't wait for mine

lou2ser
11-27-2007, 03:58 PM
(like self-publishing a book)

Was that an intentional burn?

funeralpudding
11-27-2007, 04:28 PM
Was that an intentional burn?

Absolutely not! Just comparing DIY rationale.

lou2ser
11-27-2007, 04:37 PM
Absolutely not! Just comparing DIY rationale.

Its funny because Harnk put out his own book.

Harnk
11-27-2007, 04:43 PM
think that was his point...I have a better one coming in less than a month titled "The More I Think About It (The Less I Exist)...not that one cares

uncle eggma
11-27-2007, 05:02 PM
i'm with harnk on this one. these releases have absolutely no appeal to me. but i'm sure they're really cool if you're into that sort of thing.

dwightp
11-27-2007, 05:09 PM
think that was his point...I have a better one coming in less than a month titled "The More I Think About It (The Less I Exist)...not that one cares

If the content's as good as the title, I'll buy one.

piaptk
11-30-2007, 11:08 PM
I personally (obviously) love things that are handmade. It shows that somebody invested their time, sweat, and care into something rather than it being made in a factory by people who could give a shit whether they are making that thing or something completely different as long as they get paid.

If you prefer mass produced, quality controlled items, that is fine...

But for those who don't there are people that invest a lot of time and money in making something they feel is interesting, unique, or fills a gap. That doesn't make them, or the people who support them jerkoffs.

c_elephant
12-01-2007, 11:07 AM
I personally (obviously) love things that are handmade. It shows that somebody invested their time, sweat, and care into something rather than it being made in a factory by people who could give a shit whether they are making that thing or something completely different as long as they get paid.

But for those who don't there are people that invest a lot of time and money in making something they feel is interesting, unique, or fills a gap. That doesn't make them, or the people who support them jerkoffs.

Mike,

Just placed a few orders today... I got really sick last week so I haven't been able to send out your record... I will do it sometime this week I swear!

Rock on,
Chris

Harnk
12-02-2007, 08:06 AM

some people take anti-establishment too far. Me personally, don't care if my CD is produced with quality and alongside 10,000 identical copies.

CrazyHorse
12-02-2007, 08:18 AM
And that doesn't make you a jerkoff either. No need to judge and insult.

piaptk
12-04-2007, 09:06 PM
some people take anti-establishment too far. Me personally, don't care if my CD is produced with quality and alongside 10,000 identical copies.

Oh, I'm hardly anti-establishment, and I don't think HHBTM is either. We (or at least I) am doing the best I can within my means. If I could sell 10,000 copies of an album that I liked; if I had the means of promotion, distribution, demand, etc I certainly would. I would like nothing more to sell enough records to quit my day job. HOWEVER, given that my particular taste doesn't fit radio format, and the "industry" is already choked with good indies that have the upperhand over me, I fit in where I can. I make limited things (limited investment, although minimal if any return) because there is a niche for it, and it allows me to produce things that I would want to buy.

piaptk
12-09-2007, 06:19 PM
I have 3 of these left, and I'm about to send outa press release to all the usual blogs about the new Casiotone for the Painfully Alone, square, blue marble 9" that is coming out soon, so if you want one, this is your last chance!

c_elephant
12-09-2007, 08:55 PM
I have 3 of these left, and I'm about to send outa press release to all the usual blogs about the new Casiotone for the Painfully Alone, square, blue marble 9" that is coming out soon, so if you want one, this is your last chance!

Guys, buy these.. Seriously they are awesome.

Mike- QoS / Lavendar Diamond split record goes out tomorrow.

piaptk
12-09-2007, 10:43 PM
Cool, thanks!

I think that the majority of people on here have bought one (at least of those that wanted one). I just wanted to make sure that anyone that wanted one had a last chance. :-)

canyr
12-10-2007, 01:21 PM
Damn, I forgot! Hope I'm not too late...

piaptk
12-10-2007, 07:15 PM
If you haven't emailed me yet, they are sold out. Thanks everyone!