PDA

View Full Version : where should i spend a semester abroad?

greenglassyeux
09-11-2007, 12:35 AM
thse are my choices:

1. london, england

2. seville, spain

3. florence, italy

4. paris, france

which one?

thugginit
09-11-2007, 01:36 AM
why does everyone go to western europe when they go abroad? lame lame lame. go to asia, south america or someplace where you are actually out of your bubble a bit...not to mention those cities are FUCKING expensive and you'll probably save money compared to tuition at your home school if you study somewhere else. those are all lovely cities but i'm sure you'll have another opportunity to go through europe later in life

JoeJustJoe
09-11-2007, 04:49 AM
Forget England. The food sucks, the culture sucks (it's better than the US but not by much). France is full of well....French people. I'd go to Italy or Spain.

pinocchio
09-11-2007, 07:10 AM
ask your teacher why melbourne isn't an option

lou2ser
09-11-2007, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by greenglassyeux
thse are my choices:

1. london, england

2. seville, spain

3. florence, italy

4. paris, france

which one?

I've only been to #1 and #4 and between the two #4 blows #1 away. No offense to the British but I didn't fly 4771 miles to goto a city where I speak the language.

Mutineer
09-11-2007, 07:41 AM
GO TO JAPAN ^____________^

DavidLeeRoth
09-11-2007, 11:15 AM
I've been to all except Sevile, but my pick would be Florence. Lots of great art, very friendly people, and not terribly expensive.

DLR

sashwap
09-11-2007, 11:50 AM
out of those, go spain!

jefferoo
09-11-2007, 12:11 PM
don't go to london.
When I was in school I wanted to go to either florence or prague... but missed out.
ah, the regrets.
I hear those places are amazing.
Paris is really really cool, though.
I'm sure it might depend on what you are doing there.
Art school?

[Edited on 9-11-0707 by jefferoo]

GhostInTheMachine
09-11-2007, 12:22 PM
Paris!

Stormx
09-11-2007, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by JoeJustJoe
Forget England. The food sucks, the culture sucks (it's better than the US but not by much). France is full of well....French people. I'd go to Italy or Spain.

Wow. Someone needs to shut the fuck up. Let me know when you get a half-honest government, fucktard.

SpikyFred
09-11-2007, 12:35 PM
Florence is borgeous i highly recommend going there

greenglassyeux
09-11-2007, 12:41 PM
i think a poll might be a good idea.

i'm studying psychology.

funeralpudding
09-11-2007, 12:56 PM
Visiting is different from living somewhere, though, if you don't speak at least some of the language it's going to be somewhat difficult, although of course not impossible. This would obviously favor London, and I gotta say - I loved London for the most part, lived there for two and a half years. I was also a Britpop geek in high school and so just the musical history as well as current shows and music scene would favor London I'd think. If it's school, I assume you'd have a dorm which sucks anywhere though.

And Joe: the food's not that bad anymore. Except for maybe root beer, you can get everything at the grocery stores you do here, and there are a ton of restaurants, good little local places with all types of cuisine. And as for culture - I miss how art and literature seem to be more a part of everyday life there than they do here. Everybody there knows about the Booker Prize for literature and Turner Prize for art, can most any American name an American literary or art award?

[Edited on 9-11-0707 by funeralpudding]

greenglassyeux
09-11-2007, 01:03 PM
side note - i've never been out of the united states.

not too many people seem to be favoring london, but i was thinking that might be a good start. i can always travel to those other places from london, right?

thoughts on that?

funeralpudding
09-11-2007, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by greenglassyeux
side note - i've never been out of the united states.

not too many people seem to be favoring london, but i was thinking that might be a good start. i can always travel to those other places from london, right?

thoughts on that?

Forget the romantic notion of the train - it's actually more expensive than flying! EasyJet and RyanAir are two good cheap no-frills airlines that would get you anywhere in Europe.

GhostInTheMachine
09-11-2007, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Stormx
Wow. Someone needs to shut the fuck up. Let me know when you get a half-honest government, fucktard.

lol, someone seems a bit sensitive

anyways - i agree with lots of people who've posted here, i only went to london once but i didn't think it was as different from the states as paris (haven't been to seville or florence). and travelling's about broadening the mind, right? so i'd say somewhere other than london would be more of an experience.

jefferoo
09-11-2007, 03:55 PM
Don't go to london... unless you are rich.
It is EXTREMELY epensive.
$1=2
I remember buying a coke somewhere for 2. It cost me $4.
Plus, it's not that interesting. The people are uptight. the city is very developed and urban andeverywhere closes early.
In paris, it's more exciting, people have a lot more fun and stay up late.
It is also way prettier and artsy. The catacombs are fuckin CRAZY.
Plus, you are spending time ABROAD. That mean in another country.
Go somewhere where they DON'T speak english.
Also, if you are in london, you are more limited to the travel you could be doing elsewhere in europe. France is on the continent, so you can get around easier.
Don't go to london.

greenglassyeux
09-11-2007, 04:20 PM
what is the weather like in paris?

GhostInTheMachine
09-11-2007, 04:36 PM
same as london - i went from london to paris and it was equally cold and grey in both

radiowires
09-11-2007, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by jefferoo
$1=2
I remember buying a coke somewhere for 2. It cost me $4.
Plus, it's not that interesting. The people are uptight. the city is very developed and urban andeverywhere closes early.
In paris, it's more exciting, people have a lot more fun and stay up late.
It is also way prettier and artsy. The catacombs are fuckin CRAZY.
Plus, you are spending time ABROAD. That mean in another country.
Go somewhere where they DON'T speak english.
Also, if you are in london, you are more limited to the travel you could be doing elsewhere in europe. France is on the continent, so you can get around easier.
Don't go to london.

word
kind of blunt, but to the point
visit London sometime, but immerse yourself in Paris asap

funeralpudding
09-11-2007, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by jefferoo
...andeverywhere closes early.

These are true. Pubs and everything close by 11, but being married it was a good excuse not to stay out til 2, but if you're single and want to stay out late it could be a hindrance, although of course there's clubs if you're into that. And shit's very expensive, but you also make more - like NY, no?

I was just defending London, mostly, I have a lot of good memories, and to be honest I've never been to France, but would love to, don't know if I'm adventurous enough to want to live there without having visited first, or speak some French.

ﺶﻙﯔ
09-11-2007, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by thugginit
why does everyone go to western europe when they go abroad? lame lame lame. go to asia, south america or someplace where you are actually out of your bubble a bit...not to mention those cities are FUCKING expensive and you'll probably save money compared to tuition at your home school if you study somewhere else. those are all lovely cities but i'm sure you'll have another opportunity to go through europe later in life

word

greenglassyeux
09-11-2007, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by thugginit
those places aren't really an option for me that's all. i mean i could go to japan or china, but both of those programs require that you've taken at least one year of chinese or japanese, and i'm a junior. it's a little late in the game. it doesn't mean that i wouldn't love to see those places though.

09-11-2007, 06:50 PM
I'm looking to go as far away as possible myself, so Dunedin, New Zealand it is. (I hope, anyway!)

I vote for Gay Paree.

jefferoo
09-11-2007, 08:38 PM
I want to go to Guam or Fiji.
I've also never been to canada or africa and want to check those out some day.

JoeJustJoe
09-12-2007, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Stormx

Originally posted by JoeJustJoe

WTF are you talking about. Like the British Gov't is any better. Ever hear of guilt by association? What's worse is you are pathetic lap dogs for the US. Bitch.