PDA

View Full Version : GIF

pinocchio
09-09-2007, 09:19 PM
does anybody have any idea as to why a lot of the times i save a gif file (either after i produce it or not) it will become very grainy when it's opened?

DaveKent
09-09-2007, 09:53 PM
Dithering? I don't know beyond that.

pinocchio
09-09-2007, 09:58 PM
it could be a case of the dithers

Stormx
09-10-2007, 01:54 AM
GIFs have 256 colours. It's a crap format. Use PNG (or JPEG if you must)

pinocchio
09-10-2007, 08:04 AM
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b60/Mombus/laughing.gif

Aqualad
09-10-2007, 02:40 PM
i use painshop pro. pretty easy to find and download. It comes with something called animation pro which is top notch for creating animated gifs.

samas
09-10-2007, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by pinocchio
does anybody have any idea as to why a lot of the times i save a gif file (either after i produce it or not) it will become very grainy when it's opened?

sorry to sound like the nerd here, but its because the GIF file format is intended only to store images with few colors, like stormx said, so it's not made to store detailed images.

i also think i remember something about a lossy compression system or something which means every time you open it, it loses some quality. im pretty sure...

pinocchio
09-10-2007, 10:07 PM
word thanx

DaveKent
09-10-2007, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by samasi also think i remember something about a lossy compression system or something which means every time you open it, it loses some quality. im pretty sure...

Nope. Lossy just means it loses data from the original image. MP3 is another example of lossy compression. It's only the first step that loses quality.

Stormx
09-11-2007, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by samas

Originally posted by pinocchio

sorry to sound like the nerd here, but its because the GIF file format is intended only to store images with few colors, like stormx said, so it's not made to store detailed images.

i also think i remember something about a lossy compression system or something which means every time you open it, it loses some quality. im pretty sure...

meh, sort of. The lackluster colour selection means that when you make changes and save it again then the quality can go down, because it has to adjust the palette and so joins similar colours. Depends on the situation. The jist of it is that GIF was okay a decade or so ago (minus patents) but isn't up to today's standards

funeralpudding
09-11-2007, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by samas

That's just not possible, you'd have to save the file for it to change.

Pinocchio: your gif seems to be the full gif spectrum of 256 colors, but anytime you save make sure that's what it's set to, often there's the option to save it in a smaller spectrum like 8 or 32 colors.