PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Goats

tackledspoon
09-09-2007, 07:34 PM
It amazes me how many absolutely wonderful, splendid, beautiful songs John Darnielle has in him. I know we had a thread about them just a few weeks ago, but there needs to be more. He's one of the few musicians besides Jeff Mangum who creates such memorable moments within his music. Please tell me about your favorite Mountain Goats song(s) and I'll tell you all about mine.

piaptk
09-09-2007, 07:40 PM
Old College Try
Fall of the High School Running Back
Golden Boy Peanuts
No Children
Going to Washington
Color in Your Cheeks
Cubs in Five
Best Ever Death Metal Band out of Denton (my alma mater!)

tomatoesandradiowires
09-09-2007, 07:44 PM
Oh god, so much to say!

Thanks to Jcmoods I have a much greater appreciation with the Mountain goats. I love all the lofi intimate wonder, as well as the well polished, momentum filled studio versions. How can I describe the raw emotion of going to georgia? The knowing, tired, comforts of Color in your cheeks? The unbridled love of Jenny?

Dance music is my anthem when I'm feeling frustrated (as is, on occasion, Rilo Kiley's "better son/daughter") The anglo saxons makes me smile no matter what mood I'm in, Twin Human highway flares is the most devoted celebration of another person I've ever come across. I love that I don't entirely understand pink and blue, that songs of dying love can make you want to love even more, and that the ordinary can be incredible.

tackledspoon
09-09-2007, 08:31 PM
Going to Georgia (particularly the live version from Chapel Hill) is an emotional force. The part where he shouts "THIS IS NOWHERE" always makes need a huge, deep breath.
Dinu Lippati's Bones is the kind of song that I can't listen to without stopping whatever I'm doing.
Going to Queens recalls a bunch of great images of my youth and makes me want to lie in a room with billowy curtains and touch a girl's face.
Listening to Horseradish Road on a hill is one of the only good memories I have from an entire year in Pittsburgh.
I used to lie on my back on a bench and sing "Elijah" whenever I missed my girlfriend.
The song Dienara Crush somehow makes me feel nostalgic for right now, which is really bizarre.
I love this band so much that each song gets its own paragraph.

i.am.superman
09-09-2007, 08:35 PM
due to this thread, i am now dl-ing a bunch of random stuff from blogs and really enjoying. so, thanks.

Soma
09-09-2007, 08:55 PM
Alpha Rats Nest, I love.

i.am.superman
09-09-2007, 09:13 PM
yoink!

sashwap
09-09-2007, 10:21 PM
shadow song
bluejays & cardinals (best song ever)
alpha in tauris
narakoloka
alpa incipiens
prana ferox
crows
commandante
going to bridlington

genius!!!

nach_heart
09-10-2007, 05:03 PM
No Children is my favorite.

Beckles
10-18-2007, 12:12 PM
i'm STILL trawling through all of the mountain goats stuff i have, and i swear, i don't know how someone can be so prolific and consistent. his lyrics are incredible - just posted some to 'old college try' on the fave lyrics thread.

darnielle's delivery is also fucking amazing, espeically on tracks like 'no children' and 'oceanographers choice', but also love his restraint on the new album.

i think 'full force galesburg' might be my favourite album so far. though i haven't listened to it in so long, i can't give you any more than that.

and some love for the live cover of 'the sign'?

(sorry to come to this thread so late)