PDA

View Full Version : recording technique advice maybe?

tralala
09-09-2007, 01:56 AM
a question for those who do a lot of recording/producing/mixing/soundengineering...

does anybody have a good technique for taking an existing new, decent sounding (digital) recording and tweaking it to sound like it could be playing off of an old scratchy record? a certain EQ setting perhaps?

it seems like there's a good chance that there is at least 1 person here that recordings music and has tried this :) thanks for any help

tomatoesandradiowires
09-09-2007, 05:47 AM
Play it through old speakers and rerecord, play it through any speakers and record with a tweaked microphone. That's all I've got.

I did a bit of browsing and found this too,

http://www.tape.com/resource/lo_fi_recording.html

Even if it doesn't answer your question, it has some interesting ideas. (putting tubes over your mic, recording and looping record scratches behind your song, messing with EQ's and putting mics deep in saxaphones)

auxiliaryoctopus
09-09-2007, 05:52 AM
There are plenty of filters on assorted computer programs that can do this. Many that have "phone" settings and such, or even "old record" settings. I think they usually sound pretty cartoonish.

Another option is to reamp the whole thing through a scratchy old amplifier. In this case, you use the effects send into the amp, then the amp's monitor output into the device (computer?).

Or, you could transfer it into a 4track with a low-quality tape.

Or just record it on tape to begin with, if it's not already done.

jefferoo
09-09-2007, 08:18 AM
It helps to drop the bass and mids on an equalizer so it gets a tinny, flat sound.
you can also get a somewhat scratchy record and put the needle on the run-out groove, then overlap that sound on top of your other track.

Big-H
09-09-2007, 11:53 AM
I remember I took some song and compressed the hell out of it (again, I don't really know what that *really* means - I probably put all the filters to their extreme), and it sounded kinda old.

As to the oldtime radio, I'd say do what tomatoes said and play it through old speakers and re-record it.

idealfreedistribution
09-09-2007, 02:34 PM
Izotope Vinyl is a free plugin that does exactly what you need.

tralala
09-10-2007, 01:03 AM
thanks friends... this is all good advice. i played around with the recording today, tweaking EQs and subtly used an "amp simulation" effect, and ended up with something i think i'm happy with...

i just definitely wanted to make sure to avoid anything over-the-top cheesy or obvious. i've heard a lot of faux vinyl effects that sound terrible.

anyways, here's what i ended up with:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/aesqrb

edit:
oh, and for anyone interested, here's the mix i started out with:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/5qpbu1

...and, it's probably not actually titled "the hot day", that's just the film i wrote it for.

[Edited on 9-10-0707 by tralala]

tralala
09-10-2007, 10:06 AM
oh and i've heard about that Izotope Vinyl plugin, and how it does a really good job. now, if only i had protools....

side note: has anybody tried the analog tape simulator for protools? i hear that does a good job as well

garyw
09-11-2007, 02:12 AM
i like the voxengo tape simulator plugin

mikehattem
09-12-2007, 06:51 PM
Izotope Trash would do the same thing. Most "channel strip" plugins have a phone or lo-fi setting that should get you close. I've done this once or twice to background vocals and each time I end up with different eq settings to get the same effect. What I'm saying is that how to get that effect depends on the source material.

Mike