PDA

View Full Version : Jennifer Gentle

David_R._Gross
09-08-2007, 01:30 AM
WoW.......is all I have to say. Dr. Gooch hipped me to them during the popfest adventure we had last month. I loved The Midnight Room since that first listen.

Well, tonight I saw them live at the Empty Bottle here in Chicago, and they were incredible. Some of the arrangements form that album were changed a little to fit the live line up, but the songs actually sound better because of it. The band is tight, and play very well together. I definitely had my fill of garage psychedelia even though TMR has a ghostly, Transylvanian feel to it. If that is not enough, everyone I met from the band are humble, and very easy going. It was a pleasure to talk with them.

Jennifer are headed west from Chicago for the end of their tour, so those of you who can......don't miss the opportunity to see the tour from the best album of 2007.

http://www.myspace.com/jennifergentle

Fare Thee Well,

DRG

jellyjar
09-08-2007, 01:37 AM
i like this a lot! thanks for sharing! :)

uncle eggma
09-08-2007, 11:23 AM
i liked their first album a lot...had a real barrett vibe to it. i'll have to check out this new one.

jefferoo
09-08-2007, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by uncle eggma
...had a real barrett vibe to it.
"jennifer gentle youre a witch.
Youre the left side
Hes the right side.
Oh, no!"

David_R._Gross
09-08-2007, 12:31 PM
Yes, I heard that too.....but their new one is definitely a step away form their first (in a very good way of course.) Lots of minor chords, bouncy staccato beats/ rhythm. The story goes (according to SubPop) "Marco wrote, performed and produced the entire new album alone in his Ectoplasmic Studio, a rambling old house lost in the foggy plains of Northern Italy, infamous for its previous owner’s suicide by rifle." I hope that you pick TMR up, and really enjoy it.

uncle eggma
09-08-2007, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by jefferoo

Originally posted by uncle eggma
...had a real barrett vibe to it.
"jennifer gentle youre a witch.
Youre the left side
Hes the right side.
Oh, no!"

OH YEAH! i forgot that line.

JoeJustJoe
09-09-2007, 01:49 AM
I'll check it out. Dr. Douche, I mean Dr. Gooch turned me on to Kevin Ayers & I been digging Joy of A Toy and can't wait for the new album

David_R._Gross
09-09-2007, 02:34 AM
Yea, Dr. Gooch has a Grate taste in music. You know, he has mentioned Kevin’s music to me a hand full of times, but for some reason, I never got around to looking into it......so as you check out The Midnight Room, I will be checking out Joy of a toy. I hope you like the Gentle stuff.

Fare Thee Well,

DRG

uncle eggma
09-11-2007, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by JoeJustJoe
I'll check it out. Dr. Douche, I mean Dr. Gooch turned me on to Kevin Ayers & I been digging Joy of A Toy and can't wait for the new album

great record. but check out whatevershebringswesing, it's his best in my opinion.

dwightp
09-11-2007, 01:55 PM
Wow, I was surprised at how little I enjoyed the songs on their myspace.

David_R._Gross
09-11-2007, 02:44 PM
That sucks.....those are the better ones on the album. There are still a few worth hearing after those, but if you are that uninspired.......I guess JG are not for everyone.

Anyone else have a listen......what did you think?

Fare Thee Well,

DRG

[Edited on 9-11-0707 by David_R._Gross]

uncle eggma
09-11-2007, 02:53 PM
i liked it. pretty different from the first album.

David_R._Gross
09-11-2007, 02:57 PM
I'm glad you liked it. if you have a chance to see them live, do it. Especially since you have a feel for the first record, and like that too.

sashwap
12-22-2008, 08:09 PM
this band is GREAT. i'm surprised they haven't been more embraced by this e6 crowd. glad there was already a thread about 'em, though. i just got into them. valende is the best but the midnight room finally hit me.

anyone heard their new EP?