PDA

View Full Version : alternative marching bands

quixoticgoat
09-04-2007, 03:25 PM
has anyone here ever been in an alternative marching band, similar to the marchfourth marching band?

or does anyone have any opinions about alternative marching bands?

i want to start one up in madison.

[Edited on 9-8-0707 by quixoticgoat]

[Edited on 9-8-0707 by quixoticgoat]

radiowires
09-04-2007, 03:34 PM
The only one I've seen is the What Cheer? Brigade in Providence, who opened for Okkervil River at their show there in July. They were raucously fantastically awesome. Their flickr site HERE (http://flickr.com/photos/whatcheer/)

Edited to say: if you want I can put you in contact with one of the members who is a friend

[Edited on 9-4-0707 by radiowires]

i.am.superman
09-04-2007, 03:37 PM
we the the extra action marching band about 2 years ago. it was so fucking annoying, we left not long into their set. it was interesting for about the first two minutes, then their schtick just got old. good luck.

i.am.superman
09-04-2007, 03:38 PM
'saw'

quixoticgoat
09-04-2007, 03:44 PM
ohh, i think thats probably the one that opened for lightning bolt when my sister saw them. that show was in providence too.

i would love to get in contact with someone who's in it. i'm not sure where to start. i've thought to ask the local schools to donate old uniforms to mess with. i have a friend who writes music for marching bands. but if they feel like talking to someone who has NO clue where to start, that would be really awesome.

feeling_retro
09-04-2007, 05:11 PM
why haven't i ever heard of alternative marching bands before?
i'm listening to marchfourth right now and it is freaking awesome!

man if i had any ambition to arrange marching band music i would create an alternative marching band in an instant, because i miss marching band so much.

jkirkpleasant
09-04-2007, 05:28 PM
i played in an alternative marching band in vancouver, 'the carnival band' - www.thecarnivalband.com
it was really fun for a couple of years and i helped them do an album, but eventually you have to beware the soap opera and politics. they're still going strong though and just did a european tour.

quixoticgoat
09-04-2007, 05:43 PM
czech it out if you live in massachusetts: http://www.honkfest.org/bands.htm

i miss marching band too. i never really thought that i would miss it as much as i do. i did the whole thing. the george parks drum major academy for two years. i was a student instructor. i should have been drum major but there was a serious amount of favoritism going on. i talked to the color guard captain after we found out that the other girl got drum major and she said to me "i don't know what happened. when we left the meeting to decide who was going to be drum major, it was you." total fucking bullshit. it was the band director. he didn't like me because wasn't a total suck up. ANYway. that was like.. six years ago. i should stop being mad about it.

anyhow, a good friend of mine writes music for marching bands and for concert bands so i'm crossing my fingers that he'll be interested in doing this. his arrangements are awesome too. he played me a midi of this arrangement he did taking an old jazz classic (which i can't remember the name of right now) and added this really neat hip-hop beat on top of it. i think that would be so fucking cool in a marching band arrangement.

i just think it would be so much fun... its like a cooler version of BLAST! did you ever see that? haha

haha, check this out:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/60/198230460_e533177801.jpg

tomatoesandradiowires
09-04-2007, 06:22 PM
What instrument did you play?
my girlfriend is drum major. She fucking hates george parks.

quixoticgoat
09-04-2007, 06:30 PM
yea, george parks is the devil
my freshman and sophomore year i played the flute
my junior and senior year i played piccolo
if i could do it again, i'd totally play the trombone or the tuba. WAYYY cooler.

[Edited on 9-5-0707 by quixoticgoat]

tomatoesandradiowires
09-04-2007, 07:05 PM
Hahaha! I find alot of people wish they'd played either of those instruments. That's really rad.

I want to start an eastern german/russian style brass band, cause i've been listening to Leningrad alot lately.

tackledspoon
09-04-2007, 07:43 PM
New York has the Rude Mechanical Orchestra. I've only seen them once, but it was pretty awesome.

DaveKent
09-04-2007, 08:05 PM
Is George Parks the camp in Philadelphia? I never went. I was way into marching band. I played trumpet and was the soloist my last three years, marched senior corps, etc. etc. I loved it, but I would never do it again.

quixoticgoat
09-04-2007, 08:23 PM
the george parks thing is all over. the first time i went it was in west chester. the 2nd time was up at umass. i think he kinda tours around.

Aqualad
09-04-2007, 08:28 PM
so what's so great about being in a marching band?

Aqualad
09-04-2007, 08:28 PM
so what's the big deal?

Aqualad
09-04-2007, 08:29 PM
Is this marching band nostalgia celebration?

Has the train left the station?

Am I too late?

Aqualad
09-04-2007, 08:29 PM
Alternative nursery rhymes

Aqualad
09-04-2007, 08:30 PM
Why yes, i created green metal.

quixoticgoat
09-04-2007, 09:00 PM
i cant really explain why marching band is so awesome..
maybe its the community
the feeling you get when everyone hits that note and its awesome
when people clap and you know it was your best show
its just fun

Aqualad
09-04-2007, 09:08 PM
I believe that's TRUE OF MOST BANDS!!!!

just pretend there was a dramatic chord right there.

And maybe a flash to a bunch of astonished british faces.

Aqualad
09-04-2007, 09:16 PM
yeah alternative marching bands.

because regular marching bands are mainstream?

Aqualad
09-04-2007, 09:17 PM
Must we exist in these parallel universe that don't quite line up?

aaron
09-04-2007, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by jkirkpleasant
i played in an alternative marching band in vancouver, 'the carnival band' - www.thecarnivalband.com
it was really fun for a couple of years and i helped them do an album, but eventually you have to beware the soap opera and politics. they're still going strong though and just did a european tour.

i know of that band! i played a show with tim sars of the carnival band while he was in a band called the winks.

Aqualad
09-04-2007, 09:20 PM
Hi I'm looking for an alternative to marching bands? Is there one? I think there needs to be one. Because not everyone is happy with marching bands. In fact, some are unhappy. Very unhappy. This is where our story begins.
"I'm going to do something about this!" Tommy yelled to no one in particular.

And so he did. He created a marching band for people who don't like marching bands! He called it an alternative marching band. "For people who don't like marching bands," He explained enthusiastically.

Two weeks later he was drafted and died in combat overseas.
Bu$H SUX MICRO$OFT SUCXXFFF

Aqualad
09-04-2007, 09:21 PM
Honestly I just have no idea what an alternative marching band is.

quixoticgoat
09-04-2007, 09:25 PM
its just one thats not attached to a school. or is involved with drum corps. its like a regular band. except with a shit ton of instruments.

Aqualad
09-04-2007, 09:29 PM
I'm well on my way to being an alternative marching band, then. I'll be the first solo alternative marching band.

quixoticgoat
09-04-2007, 09:36 PM
http://www.honkfest.org/bands.htm here is a cool reference if you want to check out more about it. this is just a list of bands that are going to performing at a festival

quixoticgoat
09-04-2007, 09:38 PM
...or http://www.honkfest.org/about.htm

Aqualad
09-04-2007, 09:42 PM
so basically it's a collision of hipsters and high school band nerds or something?

what's next, bands that write their songs in CSS? Bands that dress up as mmorpg characters and play celtic folk? Pop Punk? THE EIGHTIES?

Aqualad
09-04-2007, 09:44 PM
"Members vary widely in age, class, ethnicity and background, and although they often wear some kind of uniform, there is also always an emphasis on individuality and a “DIY” (do-it-yourself) sensibility to their instrumentation and attire."

so lol

Aqualad
09-04-2007, 09:45 PM
Just as important, they honk their horns because it’s the best way they know to protest a world of violence and oppression.

Aqualad
09-04-2007, 09:48 PM
Making fun of alternative marching bands: my new schtick?

quixoticgoat
09-04-2007, 09:50 PM
apparently

Aqualad
09-04-2007, 09:51 PM
Honk if you love alternative marching bands!

Let me sit down and tell you about these honkers.

these “honkers” all share a commitment to several core principles. Metaphorically speaking, they honk their horns for the same reasons motorists honk theirs: to arouse fellow travelers, to warn of danger, to celebrate milestones, and to just plain have fun.

09-04-2007, 09:57 PM
I heard some pretty nice recordings of the Leland Stanford Junior University Marching Band via ubuweb and WFMU:

"White Punks on Dope"
http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:0t653F8X2osJ:wfmu.org/onthedownload.php/0512+%22leland+stanford%22&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=7&gl=us

"Roundabout"
http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:bBsHm9SKQ6QJ:www.wfmu.org/365/2003/041.shtml+%22leland+stanford%22&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=us

There's more too. Google 'em.

quixoticgoat
09-04-2007, 10:02 PM
i had nearly convinced my band director to do bjork. but then it was going to be too much in royalties.
some nerds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpsTW-UUTkA
i think its really funny and awesome

Aqualad
09-04-2007, 10:07 PM
Whatever! I'm running this ship into the ground!

Aqualad
09-04-2007, 10:08 PM
And I'm taking everyone who has replied in this thread with me!

Aqualad
09-04-2007, 10:09 PM
Alternative Marching Bands: Not really marching bands?

quixoticgoat
09-04-2007, 10:18 PM
its all good if its not your thing.

Aqualad
09-04-2007, 10:36 PM
That's true!

Aqualad
09-04-2007, 10:36 PM
But it changes nothing. i have declared war on this thread and topic.

Aqualad
09-04-2007, 10:38 PM
Enjoy your time of peace...

While I sleep!

jkirkpleasant
09-04-2007, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by aaron

i know of that band! i played a show with tim sars of the carnival band while he was in a band called the winks.

yeah, tim is an excellent bari sax player and a wonderful guy. his dad, ross barrett, is/was the band leader. the winks are an incredible band too, if any of you out there are interested... i think they're currently touring around the east coast.

aqualad, settle down my friend, sleep it off.

aaron
09-04-2007, 11:22 PM

Originally posted by aaron

yeah, tim is an excellent bari sax player and a wonderful guy. his dad, ross barrett, is/was the band leader. the winks are an incredible band too, if any of you out there are interested... i think they're currently touring around the east coast.

aqualad, settle down my friend, sleep it off.

oh yes, they're a wonderful band. i definatley suggest checking them out. i'm playing with them again on their stop in my town. i can't wait!

Aqualad
09-05-2007, 06:49 PM
That was the most fun I've had on this forum in a while. We should break messageboard protocol more often!

quixoticgoat
09-05-2007, 10:27 PM
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1300/1333224731_590aef8e0d.jpg

i.am.superman
09-05-2007, 11:16 PM
just be better than extra action, okay?

quixoticgoat
09-05-2007, 11:29 PM
we will :-) i have a devious plan to trick my friend, who writes music for big bands, to write some sweet stuff for us. he puts hip hop and swing together. its rad.

Aqualad
09-05-2007, 11:30 PM
I put hip hop and polka together. it's radder.

Aqualad
09-05-2007, 11:31 PM
avant garde postpolka with hip hop overtones and a slight mix of experimental electronica based around analong synths?

Aqualad
09-05-2007, 11:31 PM
I destroy superlatives, basically.

Aqualad
09-06-2007, 01:03 PM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fabriziomed/279202097/in/pool-honk2006/

Aqualad
09-06-2007, 01:03 PM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/100/279202097_791fab98aa.jpg?v=0

Aqualad
09-06-2007, 01:04 PM
ugh

funeralpudding
09-06-2007, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Aqualad

In the name of Jesus?

jefferoo
09-06-2007, 02:22 PM
ugh
Why don't you try editing your posts once and a while, instead of drowning us in your posts. If not, then change your avatar because I'm tired of your face.

Aqualad
09-06-2007, 08:43 PM
it's not my face :)

and editing posts would ruin the effect, obviously.

Aqualad
09-06-2007, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by funeralpudding

In the name of Jesus?

Why must you be so hostile?

i.am.superman
09-06-2007, 09:32 PM
i would actually really appreciate your work in this thread, if it weren't so mean to miss daniella. and leaked over into the treehouse.

:(

i don't know why i'm posting this.

funeralpudding
09-07-2007, 01:11 PM
Any song ideas lined up, Daniella?

[Edited on 9-7-0707 by funeralpudding]

Aqualad
09-07-2007, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by i.am.superman
i would actually really appreciate your work in this thread, if it weren't so mean to miss daniella. and leaked over into the treehouse.

:(

i don't know why i'm posting this.

it wasn't neccessarily mean to her, more to the concept of an alternative marching band.

quixoticgoat
09-07-2007, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by funeralpudding
Any song ideas lined up, Daniella?

nah, not yet. i hope that will surface at the meeting i'm having. any ideas?

Tilde
09-07-2007, 04:39 PM
I always wanted to be in marching band, but I am a string instrument/piano/harmonica/kazoo player...

quixoticgoat
09-07-2007, 04:58 PM
i just picked up a clarinet and i'm a flute player. not a huge difference, but the concept of reeds is totally foreign to me.

Mutineer
09-07-2007, 05:17 PM
Marching band music sucks so bad ;'(

Aqualad
09-07-2007, 07:49 PM
so bad~

jkirkpleasant
09-07-2007, 08:09 PM
whatre u talking about! marching bands own.
jazz comes off really well in marching bands, daniella.
stick with some cool standards to begin with, unless you want to be a little more free form or go with a specific theme. develop originals whenever you get a chance. have regular practices.
black orpheus is always fun. we played that one in the carnival band and with the medaglia d'oro orchestra in athens.
with medaglia d'oro, which john fernandez and i used to play in, we would always cover up all the musicians with some kind of bulwark
and we would get hammered drunk or stoned and rip the craziest jazz you've ever heard!!!
my advice is get the music sounding really good before you start marching. but make sure you have some good marching tunes that you can stomp around to and solo with. get some enthusiastic trumpet and trombone guys to freak out from time to time and you've got to have a dedicated drum rhythm section.
aqualad, buddy, you've got it all wrong.
go outside, breath some fresh air, and blast as loud as you can on any instrument of your choice.

Aqualad
09-07-2007, 08:22 PM
I'm not revolted by marching bands at all. I just don't like the ideas behind the honk festival and slapping on the label "alternative."

Aqualad
09-07-2007, 08:23 PM
So I make a spectacle?

quixoticgoat
09-08-2007, 08:26 AM
whatre u talking about! marching bands own.
jazz comes off really well in marching bands, daniella.
stick with some cool standards to begin with, unless you want to be a little more free form or go with a specific theme. develop originals whenever you get a chance. have regular practices.
black orpheus is always fun. we played that one in the carnival band and with the medaglia d'oro orchestra in athens.
with medaglia d'oro, which john fernandez and i used to play in, we would always cover up all the musicians with some kind of bulwark
and we would get hammered drunk or stoned and rip the craziest jazz you've ever heard!!!
my advice is get the music sounding really good before you start marching. but make sure you have some good marching tunes that you can stomp around to and solo with. get some enthusiastic trumpet and trombone guys to freak out from time to time and you've got to have a dedicated drum rhythm section.

oh jazz, thats a great idea. i think doing world music would be pretty bitchin' too. some buena vista social club.

GhostInTheMachine
09-08-2007, 10:01 AM
you should play the march of the gay parade

funeralpudding
09-08-2007, 12:04 PM
yeah, something off Gay Parade would be pretty cool, either March or if you could translate something with crazy chord changes like Jacques Lamure

or maybe...

some Apples In Stereo.... "Go"?
Amy Winehouse "Rehab"
some Go! Team might be good and peppy
Clash or Talking Heads would be good and recognizable
some They Might Be Giants would be sweeeeet, so many of their songs to choose from that would probably translate well

quixoticgoat
09-08-2007, 01:09 PM
amy winehouse? fp, you break my heart....

i kid, she's not that bad. ha.

the gay parade would be pretty bad ass. you betta believe i am gonna try to work some sort of e6 songs in there. :-D

funeralpudding
09-08-2007, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by quixoticgoat
amy winehouse? fp, you break my heart....

haha. I would have never thought of that song, except when Apostle of Hustle played SXSW at the Red Eyed Fly, leader Andrew did a little break where he played and sang a few bars of it, and I thought, hmmmm, maybe I was wrong about that song/drug addict. I still don't really like it too much, but it would be recognizable and sounds like it might be fun and bouncy.

Also, I've been keeping up with Never Mind the Buzzcocks - best show EVER, and I think Simon is a worthy successor to Mark, although Mark's hatred for Halliwell and bland pop is one of the funniest running gags I've ever seen. Anyways, Winehouse's recent appearance is a classic:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FIeZWbQGrqY

best bits:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ihFzr8QPfOg

quixoticgoat
09-08-2007, 01:39 PM
i think maybe what i don't like about her is that she doesn't seem all that genuine to me.

funeralpudding
09-08-2007, 01:44 PM
but seriously.... some TMBG would rule

quixoticgoat
09-08-2007, 01:55 PM
istanbul (not constantinople)?

funeralpudding
09-08-2007, 02:04 PM
ftw

funeralpudding
09-08-2007, 02:14 PM
Kiss Me, Son of God
Shoehorn With Teeth
Particle Man
The entirety of Fingertips

I guess you could march to Instanbul, maybe Particle Man, but the others seem like a get high and play in the city square kind of deal :cool:

quixoticgoat
09-08-2007, 02:43 PM
ha. particle man is the first TMBG song i ever heard. not too much to that song.. but its hilarious.

funeralpudding
09-08-2007, 02:50 PM
It would be a good one for different instruments to take a solo on

Aqualad
09-08-2007, 05:31 PM
anything by william shatner