PDA

View Full Version : hawaii

greenglassyeux
09-03-2007, 12:55 AM
do any of you live in hawaii?

birdman
09-03-2007, 06:47 AM
I went to hawaii. I helped kill a pig. I was in charge of holding the blood bucket that collected the blood that poured out of the wound in its throat.

Its a pretty awesome place. Though, i don't know if it is one where i would want to live.

they have sea turtles there.

tomatoesandradiowires
09-03-2007, 06:49 AM
Originally posted by birdman
Its a pretty awesome place. Though, i don't know if it is one where i would want to live.

I find that's how I feel about most places.

My girlfriend has a turtle named Herman.

jefferoo
09-03-2007, 06:58 AM
where would you guys want to live?

tomatoesandradiowires
09-03-2007, 07:25 AM
I enjoy new england. The smells of spring, the warmth of summer, the sights of autumn and the quiet of winter. Perhaps I wouldn't mind moving a bit south. I'd like to live in a small town with plenty of green, in a small house with a wonderful woman and maybe a few ass-backward kids. I have quite a few friends abroad, so I hope to visit them and tour the world a bit during my college/just after college years, but I really can't wait to live comfortably.

JoeJustJoe
09-03-2007, 07:28 AM
Off of the grid!

vertiginous
09-03-2007, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by tomatoesandradiowires
I enjoy new england. The smells of spring, the warmth of summer, the sights of autumn and the quiet of winter. Perhaps I wouldn't mind moving a bit south. I'd like to live in a small town with plenty of green, in a small house with a wonderful woman and maybe a few ass-backward kids. I have quite a few friends abroad, so I hope to visit them and tour the world a bit during my college/just after college years, but I really can't wait to live comfortably.
you think too much.

I've been to hawaii before, we did go to one of those pig roasting deals, i remember they had this ridiculously gross brown pudding-like stuff. was it poi? does anyone else know?

and then they have that crazy state fish, i still remember how to say it... Humuhumunukunukuapua'a

birdman
09-03-2007, 07:57 AM
i like the hawaiian accent.

David_R._Gross
09-03-2007, 09:51 AM
I have never been to Hawaii, but I just watched a Grate B class movie from the 80's titled "North Shore." It made me really want to go there and learn to surf (same with Point Brake (but only from the learn to surf end, because PB was set in Cali.)) The sad thing is I would just be another average Holly.

The movie has a character named Turtle.

Fare Thee Well,

DRG

Figglyduff
09-03-2007, 10:58 AM
I would like to go there but the travelling would just be too much unless I stayed in the US a bit before and after to break the journey up. I actually have family in Hawaii, I don't think I've ever met them though (and if I have it would have been when I was tiny).

greenglassyeux
09-03-2007, 11:48 AM
the brown stuff may have been poi, but poi is more of a grey colour so probably not. poi is supposedly a staple in hawaiian culture, but i haven't seen anybody eating it. i saw poi mochi for sale though. it could have been taro something, but taro is purple...i don't know.

i love the turtles! i've actually bumped into a few while i've been body surfing. they are such amazing creatures. i think they live upward of 80 years old. unfortunately they are endangered so it is illegal to approach, surround, ride or touch them, and if you're caught there's a $1000 fine. there's no law against chasing the fish though haha. it's fun to say humuhumunukunukuapua'a haha!

drg - i've never seen the movie north shore, but i imagine if you liked that you might also like the endless summer films by bruce brown. is holly a character in the movie? or did you mean that you would be another average haole? haole is the term used here to describe foreigners (primarily caucasians). it takes some getting used to.

if anybody has the chance to go to hawaii they should take advantage of the opportunity. it's really as beautiful as they make it look in all the movies. just avoid all the touristy commercial crap.

figglyduff - you have family here?!

oh, and about the accent - it can be so hard to understand! the local dialect is called pigin.

[Edited on 9-3-0707 by greenglassyeux]

funeralpudding
09-03-2007, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by greenglassyeux
poi is supposedly a staple in hawaiian culture...

I heard Spam is, too, since WWII - it even ends up on the menu of supposedly good restaurants

greenglassyeux
09-03-2007, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by funeralpudding

Originally posted by greenglassyeux
poi is supposedly a staple in hawaiian culture...

I heard Spam is, too, since WWII - it even ends up on the menu of supposedly good restaurants
it's true! it's literally everywhere. it's cheap and conveniently packaged, but i asked my hawaiian studies professor why everybody eats so much of it here and he said, "because it's fucking delicious!" i don't eat meat so i couldn't tell you, but there you go.

Figglyduff
09-03-2007, 01:21 PM
Yeah but I don't know their names or where they live, they were in touch with my grandmother but she's dead now so the connection has been severed! :D I only just met my Irish relatives the other week though so you never know what kind of family reunions could crop up in the future!

David_R._Gross
09-03-2007, 01:36 PM
greensassyeux-

In the movie.....holly was used in the same way you described haole, only more specific to American tourists, as in, "Hollywood." I probably shouldn't have capitalized it in my first message.......Have you ever heard that term used....probably not since you asked me.

It was really a cheesy movie, but in a good way that makes you feel good to watch it. I really can't stand 80's pop (billbaoard stuff,) But 80's movies are the best. I would send you a copy, but I watched it on Comcast cable under the free movies section.

birdman
09-03-2007, 04:25 PM
My friend goes to the university at hilo. When i was visitng him we went to this beach right outside of hilo. First went swimming, and then sat on the rocks drinking rum and eating a fresh papaya. While we were sitting there this sea turtle crawled up onto a rock about 15 feet across from us to sun. It was pre-historic.

Then, i went shopping drunk and got a jesus candle. Roasted some chicken, and snuck beer into a two dollar showing of jack ass 2.

greenglassyeux
09-03-2007, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by David_R._Gross
greensassyeux-

In the movie.....holly was used in the same way you described haole, only more specific to American tourists, as in, "Hollywood." I probably shouldn't have capitalized it in my first message.......Have you ever heard that term used....probably not since you asked me.
no, nobody says that.

greenglassyeux
09-03-2007, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by birdman
My friend goes to the university at hilo. When i was visitng him we went to this beach right outside of hilo. First went swimming, and then sat on the rocks drinking rum and eating a fresh papaya. While we were sitting there this sea turtle crawled up onto a rock about 15 feet across from us to sun. It was pre-historic.

Then, i went shopping drunk and got a jesus candle. Roasted some chicken, and snuck beer into a two dollar showing of jack ass 2.
haha sounds like a typical day. my latest hobby is buying japanese snacks. not only are they cute, but they taste good too! these chocolate mushrooms (http://www.japanesesnacks.com/snacks.php?id=107) are my latest find.

pinocchio
09-03-2007, 07:57 PM
did anyone just watch that surfing special on discovery hd? it was pretty bodacious.