PDA

View Full Version : Okkervil Whattymcwhat

thekingisdead
08-28-2007, 10:39 PM
I have heard a lot of praise for this band. People have been calling them the the new neutral milk and even going so far as to refer to their latest album as "Aeroplane for the next generation."
I heard a few songs recently, without knowing titles or what albums they came from, and I have to say I really don't see what all the fuss is about or why they're getting these comparisons at all. I found the sound rather generic and Voxtrot-esque. Am I just hearing the wrong songs? Could someone kindly direct me to a good album?

Thank You

JackAttack
08-28-2007, 10:49 PM
I feel the same way about this band. I saw them live a year or so ago and I wasn't that impressed.

radiowires
08-28-2007, 11:06 PM
Personally I don't understand the NMH comparisons, but I'd point you toward "Don't Fall in Love with Everyone You See" as the place to start. Then go chronologically through "Down the River of Golden Dreams" then "Black Sheep Boy" up to the new release, "The Stage Names". The albums are all quite different from each other. My opinions of their feels/sounds:

DFILWEYS: laid back, countryish, smart, alternately fun and intense, with a Daniel Johnston contribution. My favorite.

DTROGD: powerful, to me like a collection of short stories, a little less country and more rock; but lacking tempo/style variety imo, so I tend not to listen to it much. But a couple of their all time best songs are on here (e.g. "The War Criminal..." and "The Velocity of Saul..."), worth getting just for those.

BSB: Great songs, intense-o-meter off scale, too dramatic for some, probably their finest vocal and band performances to date, an evil little record. My 2nd favorite. If you like it, you'll like BSB Appendix and For Real too.

TSN: Their most straight-up rock album, their 'on-the-road' record, in a lot of ways more clever, understated, and accessible than the other ones. My 3rd favorite.

I forgot Sleep and Wakeup Songs, but I guess it's my least favorite one... for me, easy to forget. Stars Too Small to Use, their very first one, is oop and genuinely hard to find, I've never heard it. The Australian-only EP Overboard & Down is great, with the song The President's Dead which I would say is among the best singles of last year. Anyway, hope this is helpful.

tackledspoon
08-28-2007, 11:29 PM
I like the new record just fine, but "Black Sheep Boy" is a fucking killer record. I can definitely understand some of the NMH comparisons, but I don't find the actual music nearly as interesting as Neutral Milk Hotel's. I think that they're more similar to Leonard Cohen than anybody else.

thekingisdead
08-28-2007, 11:37 PM
the first time i ever heard them, i just assumed it was Voxtrot... who I don't really like.

i'm currently downloading "don't fall..." and from skimming through I really like the DJ track.

jono
08-29-2007, 05:20 AM
They're an amazing band, with some similarities to NMH; mainly the consistent theme running throughout the album & the horns. (Only heard Black Sheep Boy, going off of that.)

[Edited on 8-29-0707 by jono]

G
08-29-2007, 05:24 AM
an awesome band and live they're great!

my favourite albums are Black Sheep Boy and The Stage Names

piaptk
08-29-2007, 06:31 AM
Heard the records and seen them live, and neither one did a single thing for me. They are just another overwrought, angsty, boring Bright Eyes coattail rider. But, that's like.... just my opinion, man. The Daniel Johnston song is pretty cool, though.

jono
08-29-2007, 07:02 AM
Anyone recommend me an album of theirs that has alot of songs like; Plus Ones/A Girl In Port?

radiowires
08-29-2007, 08:09 AM
Those are my two favorite songs off the Stage Names. Nice picks. But I'd say that those songs represent a more poppy digression from their usual style. Can't think of any comparable ones in the past catalog. Except perhaps the EP Overboard & Down; the song, "The President's Dead", is reminiscent of the two songs you mention. If you can't get that EP (it's an import; I got mine on gemm, and it was kind of expensive), I think there's a President's Dead single that's available in the States.

JoeJustJoe
08-29-2007, 08:16 AM
that's not fair. They don't deserve the Bright Eyes comparison.

blaise
08-29-2007, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by JoeJustJoe

They do deserve some of it. Will Sheff wraps a mic around his neck at shows fer christ's sake. He's melodramatic, but not always in a bad way.

Qza11
08-29-2007, 08:51 AM
Great band. Black Sheep Boy slayed me. That track "For Real" is killer.

I am workin into The Stage Names and I like what I hear especially Girl at Port.

tackledspoon
08-29-2007, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by blaise

They do deserve some of it. Will Sheff wraps a mic around his neck at shows fer christ's sake. He's melodramatic, but not always in a bad way.
I'd say that the music is emotionally charged enough to warrant a bit of stage theatrics. Also, I've never really heard of Conor Oberst doing anything like that.

blaise
08-29-2007, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by tackledspoon

Originally posted by blaise

I'd say that the music is emotionally charged enough to warrant a bit of stage theatrics. Also, I've never really heard of Conor Oberst doing anything like that.

Good points, but I generally just dislike it when musicians pile on the melodrama. Sheff crosses that line occasionally, and Oberst, while he may not strangle himself with a microphone cord on stage, constantly sounds like he's about to cry.