PDA

View Full Version : Wilco Live

rogersbowne
08-28-2007, 12:52 PM
In non-related e6 news, Wilco is not very good live. I don't mean they don't sound good, they do, very rehearsed, almost like putting the CD on in my house except with occasional banter. And for god sakes they had synchronized lights with every song. I was thinking I always want to be a bit sloppy that the lights to my show could never be timed to perfection. They played an hour, walked off and came back for an encore (3 songs), walked off again and encored 3 more songs and finally left after 2 hours. That's a show not a show with two encores that would be like 3 hours or a little less.

quixoticgoat
08-28-2007, 12:53 PM
....yea i saw wilco at summerfest in milwaukee a few years ago and was totally bored

JoeJustJoe
08-28-2007, 01:01 PM
I saw them in Charlotte 2-3 yesr ago. People in the balcony were not allowed to stand. They were in the middle of one of the songs off of Mermaid Ave. where there's like 3 secs. of silence, before it comes back some schmuck in the audience yells "She's jar" or "Heavy Metal Drummer" or something and Tweedy went off. Threw a fit, cussed, walked-off & the whole nine yards. Came back and apologized but it was definately the high point of the show. And I'm a Wilco fan.

I saw them in Austin (ACL and aftershow @ Stubs) and they rocked.

Harnk
08-28-2007, 02:16 PM
Sky Blue Sky...best album this year.

rogersbowne
08-28-2007, 02:36 PM
Yes I saw them last night in San Diego. I like their music and cd's very much.

radiowires
08-28-2007, 03:00 PM
Yeah, I've seen them a couple of times live. Once, I paid for it. I wouldn't have gone the second time except that it was free for me. Both shows were musically interesting but tedious and disappointing. And I say that as a big fan of their work at least through YHF. Haven't seen them recently but unless they've changed ("... you've changed...") I wouldn't spend money again to check them out.

On a related note I saw Son Volt and they were similarly impeccable, technically, but also had an intensity that was thrilling. Not hating on Jeff -- I like his songwriting better than Jay's -- but I wish his live energy could be remotely similar to Jay's.

poe
08-29-2007, 11:34 AM
I actually love them live and think they are amazing!

jefferoo
08-29-2007, 03:36 PM
I saw them at Bonnaroo 3 or 4 years ago and was really impressed.
It was my first wilco experience acually.
after the show, I bought "a ghost is born" or whatever that album was and I was really unimpressed.
turned me off.

rogersbowne
08-29-2007, 04:23 PM
weird, the album is awesome and the live show is almost identical so I don't know how you disliked the album. I think there are people who enjoy hearing the cd live, for the energy. I always consider energy with rawness.