PDA

View Full Version : When I travel across the U.S. this year...

tackledspoon
08-24-2007, 04:03 PM
...what cities should I stop in? I'm going to try to come across the North one way and the South the other so that I get the full experience. Athens is a must, but what other cities and towns have unique feels. I don't necessarily want to stop in a lot of big cities because I want to see something different from what I'm used to, but I'm up for anything.
Also, anybody willing to let me couchsurf? I'm a mean cook and I'd return the favor if you ever came to NY.

thugginit
08-24-2007, 04:06 PM
www.couchsurfing.com is a good bet...i've heard good things
are you coming near southern california at all?

garyw
08-24-2007, 04:13 PM
seattle and socal are pretty crucial

i.am.superman
08-24-2007, 04:17 PM
come to san diego! i'll make soup and take you to at least one show!

thugginit
08-24-2007, 04:19 PM
soup and san diego? screw a cross country trip just stay down there for a few weeks

tackledspoon
08-24-2007, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by thugginit
www.couchsurfing.com is a good bet...i've heard good things
are you coming near southern california at all?
I love couchsurfing and I've used it before, but I'd rather stay with some fellow E6 enthusiasts, when possible.

lou2ser
08-24-2007, 05:02 PM
You've got a place to stay in Dallas, not that you would really want to come here. Might enjoy a night or two in Denton though.

SpikyFred
08-24-2007, 05:05 PM
if you come to the west coast hit up Portland and Seattle

JackAttack
08-24-2007, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by lou2ser
You've got a place to stay in Dallas, not that you would really want to come here. Might enjoy a night or two in Denton though.

I just moved into a house in Denton!

Musicalfusion
08-24-2007, 05:54 PM
DC my man, i would let you couchsurf but my folks wouldnt appreciate it 2 well

Harnk
08-24-2007, 06:09 PM
boston, quebec, portland, san fran, san diego, nawlins, savannah, charleston, seattle

tackledspoon
08-24-2007, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by Harnk
boston, quebec, portland, san fran, san diego, nawlins, savannah, charleston, seattle
I've done Boston and Quebec (and am still in love with the latter), but all of the rest of those places are definitely on my list for this trip.

quixoticgoat
08-25-2007, 12:33 AM
madison is pretty bitchin'. you are more then welcome to crash on my futon. dont know when you plan on traveling. but dont come jan-march because winter here sucks ballz. summer is the best time. definitely.

mmmmmm... fall is pretty kick ass too. now that i think about it..

[Edited on 8-25-0707 by quixoticgoat]

tackledspoon
08-25-2007, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by quixoticgoat
madison is pretty bitchin'. you are more then welcome to crash on my futon. dont know when you plan on traveling. but dont come jan-march because winter here sucks ballz. summer is the best time. definitely.

mmmmmm... fall is pretty kick ass too. now that i think about it..

[Edited on 8-25-0707 by quixoticgoat]
I'm hoping to spend May-July on the road, though it may end up being March-May if I decide to take a semester off. I just got all excited about it last night and made this post.

JoeJustJoe
08-25-2007, 09:49 AM
In the Southeast Asheville, Athens, Charleston, & Savannah. If you are gpoing in March, Savannah for St. Patrick's day is not to be missed.

piaptk
08-25-2007, 10:17 AM
Olympia, Raleigh/Chapel Hill, NYC, Boston, Cody Wyoming, Austin, TX, San Francisco, Las Vegas, Durango CO (during the summer), New Orleans, Chicago, etc.

tackledspoon
08-25-2007, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by piaptk
Olympia, Raleigh/Chapel Hill, NYC, Boston, Cody Wyoming, Austin, TX, San Francisco, Las Vegas, Durango CO (during the summer), New Orleans, Chicago, etc.
I stopped in Durango last spring. I was only there for a few hours, but it was a really cool place. I kind of want to go back and hike a bit in that area.
People keep mentioning all of these great places and I want to see them all, but if I do, my route will be a tremendous zig-zag and I'll never get to spend a significant amount of time anywhere.

dreamer27
08-25-2007, 10:44 AM
Asheville kicks ass dude, and if you come during the school year you can crash in my dorm room. Charleston, SC is bitching too man.

tackledspoon
08-25-2007, 10:50 AM
You guys all rule.

hockywierdo
08-25-2007, 11:56 AM
san fransico.
canon beach, oregon (from here you can drive straight down the west coast and hit almost every city i put down)
monterey, ca
cambria, ca/hearst castle
laguna beach, ca (dont stay too long though and avoid big beaches, go to small ones)
la jolla, ca
san deigo/balboa park
Santa Barbara, ca (there is always a lo fi show or something going on there its amazing community)

there are actually youth hostels (depending on your age) in monterey sanfran cambria San D.

colorado spring, co

SpikyFred
08-25-2007, 12:24 PM
You should make a list of all the suggested places and do research on each of them and choose the ones that appeal to you most, that might make it a little easier

thugginit
08-25-2007, 01:21 PM
hostels are a good idea for places you don't have a couch lined up..if you come down to la there's a good number in venice (which is not to be missed)

lou2ser
08-25-2007, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by JackAttack

Originally posted by lou2ser

I just moved into a house in Denton!

Cool. U2U me if you need someone to show you around. There are some decent concerts coming up plus Rubber Glove's free week.

vertiginous
08-25-2007, 07:41 PM
come to connecticut, it's a whole duckload of fun.

tackledspoon
08-25-2007, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by vertiginous
come to connecticut, it's a whole duckload of fun.
I've lived an hour from Connecticut my whole life and I've only really spent a significant amount of time there once. I think I'm going to Fairfield to visit a friend and pick some apples in the fall, though.

vertiginous
08-25-2007, 09:20 PM
yeah. well it looks nice and some towns are fun to walk through, but it's not really all that interesting. we lack musical culture i'm interested in. always have to travel to NYC or boston for that.
I mean, come on. our slogan for Hartford for awhile was "Come to Hartford: We Swear It's Fun!" it's that bad.

Fwching
08-26-2007, 11:34 AM
I'd offer you my couch, but your seeing as that your home base is about 20 minutes away from mine, you probably already know Jersey well enough.

What a good idea though. I hope to participate in the great american college tradition of road tripping some day.