PDA

View Full Version : Career in Music

Musicalfusion
08-20-2007, 04:23 PM
Are there jobs to be had? At record labels and magazines? i want to study some studio engeneering and some buisness, so i was just wondering if there are jobs to have or if there are none to be had. Ill either do that or join the military...

Stormx
08-20-2007, 04:57 PM
Well, don't join the military. That's a stupid thing to do.

You can scratch a living doing all sorts of things. dwight and graham run labels, others run zines, others are musicians. If you want to do some studio engineering, start with local bands... mixing/mastering etc. That's what I do sometimes. It gets you the experience.

jefferoo
08-20-2007, 06:11 PM
4 chaise,

I interned at an audio house once. That definitely could have led to a job in music. You need to move to a big city, if you aren't in one already. I think there is often more opportunity in a bigger pool.
I would even cold call labels and ask if they need interns.

hockywierdo
08-20-2007, 06:13 PM
go get a degree in business and go to a major american college especially one in southern california if you want uin on the actual entertainment/record business. otherwise start building from the ground up with your own skill, connections, projects, friends, shows, releases etc.

ifyou dont go the major or try and get hired by a big indie or major then you gotta DIY.

SpikyFred
08-20-2007, 06:19 PM
yah New York and California are the major bases for that kind of stuff do some research and try to score an internship at a record label or magazine

Musicalfusion
08-20-2007, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by jefferoo
4 chaise,

I interned at an audio house once. That definitely could have led to a job in music. You need to move to a big city, if you aren't in one already. I think there is often more opportunity in a bigger pool.
I would even cold call labels and ask if they need interns.

Im in DC, and i dont know of many big record labels, but ya i would like to intern, thanks

08-22-2007, 12:02 AM
uh, Dischord dude???

greenglassyeux
08-22-2007, 02:32 AM
if you play steel drums or the ukulele come to honolulu.

Musicalfusion
08-22-2007, 07:05 PM
oh duuuuuh, somewhere in the back of my mind, I knew Discord was in DC, ill try there

jefferoo
08-22-2007, 08:19 PM
dischord!
hell yeah.
minor threat dude!!

tomatoesandradiowires
08-23-2007, 05:17 AM
What about songwriting? Anyone know how that career path usually pans out?

auxiliaryoctopus
08-23-2007, 05:39 AM
My friend went to school for music, worked in the industry for five years at a major indie distributor, started a successful record label and HATED it. Couldn't get out fast enough. He said seeing the buisness side of everything makes you stop seeing music as music, and more as a commodity. He was ready to deliver pizzas or something just to get out of it, but he found another job.

So, something to think about. If you like music, make music.

[Edited on 8-23-0707 by auxiliaryoctopus]

jefferoo
08-23-2007, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by tomatoesandradiowires
Starting a band and getting a hit. I believe the chances are better getting mad-cow disease.
Either that or going to school for music in NYC or LA and making contacts.
It's all who you know.

tomatoesandradiowires
08-23-2007, 12:10 PM

Starting a band and getting a hit. I believe the chances are better getting mad-cow disease.
It's all who you know.

I meant more writing for other bands. Maybe that's what you meant, I dunno.

Drake19
08-23-2007, 12:11 PM

Are you interested in the money part of the music business, or do you just want to be involved with something that has to do with music because you love music? If you want to get into music because of your love for it, then just do it. You probably wont make millions but that doesn't mean you won't be successful. Every person involved in music is going to have to change their view of success, especially if their view of success is becoming very rich or famous. Do it because you love music.

[Edited on 8-23-0707 by Drake19]

Drake19
08-23-2007, 12:14 PM

It's all who you know.

Do you like country or top 40 pop? I don't know to many genres outside of that that employ song writers.

tomatoesandradiowires
08-23-2007, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Drake19

Are you interested in the money part of the music business, or do you just want to be involved with something that has to do with music because you love music? If you want to get into music because of your love for it, then just do it. You probably wont make millions but that doesn't mean you won't be successful. Every person involved in music is going to have to change their view of success, especially if their view of success is becoming very rich or famous. Do it because you love music.

Oh dude, I want to be either a teacher or a poet! Money is the farthest thing from my mind. I write quite a bit of songs but am not much of a singer so I usually turn to my friends and say "hey try this out" while I play guitar and It's just great making music, hearing people sing my thoughts.

When I was little and people Asked me what I wanted to be when I grow up, I had two answers. One was "I don't care as long as I don't have to use ketchup for tomato sauce" because somewhere in my mind I figured if I could have spaggetti with regular sauce and not substituting ketchup I was experiencing success. The other answer was a chimney sweep.

tomatoesandradiowires
08-23-2007, 12:19 PM

It's all who you know.

Do you like country or top 40 pop? I don't know to many genres outside of that that employ song writers.

Yeah, I don't know. I don't have any plans of being a songwriter, I just didn't know how one really ended up in that position. in my last post I wrote about how fun it is to do with friends but, no, I'm not thinking of making a career of it and was just wondering how other people ended up there.

Drake19
08-23-2007, 12:21 PM

Oh dude, I want to be either a teacher or a poet! Money is the farthest thing from my mind. I write quite a bit of songs but am not much of a singer so I usually turn to my friends and say "hey try this out" while I play guitar and It's just great making music, hearing people sing my thoughts.

When I was little and people Asked me what I wanted to be when I grow up, I had two answers. One was "I don't care as long as I don't have to use ketchup for tomato sauce" because somewhere in my mind I figured if I could have spaggetti with regular sauce and not substituting ketchup I was experiencing success. The other answer was a chimney sweep.

Awesome! When you talk about saying to your friends, "hey try this out", it sounds like you might like production. Which could also involve song writing.

Edit: I'm in the process of building a recording studio in my backyard. I do engineering and production, and I got started by my love of music and by my friends asking me if I would record them. so, you never know

tomatoesandradiowires
08-23-2007, 12:23 PM
Production eh? That could be cool. I'll bone up on it.

Musicalfusion
08-24-2007, 10:44 AM
that might be for me 2