PDA

View Full Version : shutup

pinocchio
08-20-2007, 01:14 PM
with the politics. such a bore.

Aqualad
08-20-2007, 01:17 PM
it is pretty boring. I think we've said all that needs to be said. this forum would be a lot nicer without the discussion. Even with the knowledge we have, most of our discussions are hampered by lack of knowledge still.

funeralpudding
08-20-2007, 01:18 PM
then go back to sleep - we'll wake you when we've decided who your leaders will be

JoeJustJoe
08-20-2007, 01:24 PM
Weren't you going somewhere soon?

uncle eggma
08-20-2007, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by funeralpudding
then go back to sleep - we'll wake you when we've decided who your leaders will be

oh how important you are.

funeralpudding
08-20-2007, 01:35 PM

Only as important as anybody else who votes and cares.

narashinga
08-20-2007, 01:55 PM
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahaha, ah! mr.italian satin is right. if you aint your own leader...
do you know what hell is?
shut up and smoke salvia, say hello to Mazatec. if not, well, bud?

Stinkypoo1032
08-20-2007, 01:59 PM
a

Aqualad
08-20-2007, 03:44 PM

they're just trying to say that the argument is nothing but spite and is doing nothing to prove one candidate will be a better president than another. and it's true. trying to shove our political ideologies down another's throat is both wrong and very judgmental. let's all listen to beach boys - i know there's an answer, and get on with our lives.

funeralpudding
08-20-2007, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Aqualad

they're just trying to say that the argument is nothing but spite and is doing nothing to prove one candidate will be a better president than another. and it's true. trying to shove our political ideologies down another's throat is both wrong and very judgmental. let's all listen to beach boys - i know there's an answer, and get on with our lives.

But that's not true at all - lots of facts and issues have been discussed. I understand apathy, but don't sympathize with it any longer - it gets you to a point where your country can wipe 70,000 people off the face of the earth for no reason, give away its stable economy to the wealthy elite, and create let the people who have already attacked you get as powerful as ever. Kind of bums out the trip.

It's not not like this is a random time to discuss politics, either, we are electing the most powerful leader in the world soon.

GhostInTheMachine
08-20-2007, 04:05 PM
Politics aren't as boring as political bores.

Aqualad
08-20-2007, 04:13 PM

But that's not true at all - lots of facts and issues have been discussed. I understand apathy, but don't sympathize with it any longer - it gets you to a point where your country can wipe 70,000 people off the face of the earth for no reason, give away its stable economy to the wealthy elite, and create let the people who have already attacked you get as powerful as ever. Kind of bums out the trip.

It's not not like this is a random time to discuss politics, either, we are electing the most powerful leader in the world soon.

it doesn't mean we have to be mean about it. I don't really want to participate in discussions about politics where everyone grows angryand irritable.

Aqualad
08-20-2007, 04:15 PM
and no one's sympathizing with apathy. i'm just saying that we're bombing this forum to death.

funeralpudding
08-20-2007, 04:25 PM
Aqualad, you seemed more interested in talking politics (and making vague statements about Obama) before everybody woke up about Ron Paul. There's only a few threads, if you don't want to discuss politics, it's as simple as not clicking on the clearly-marked thread. And besides Patman, the only thing angry and irritable about the discussion so far is that you keep saying it's angry and irritable.

Stormx
08-20-2007, 04:56 PM

QFT!

Seriously though, the townhall is mostly devoid of political discussions, and I'm learning a lot from the recent ones.

GhostInTheMachine
08-20-2007, 05:02 PM
Some people in this thread seem to really like the sound of their own voices.

uncle eggma
08-20-2007, 05:08 PM
perhaps hang on to your ego would be the more suitable version of the beach boys song in this case;)

Aqualad
08-20-2007, 05:24 PM
yeah i realized that when i realized they were just two different versions of the song. Today. I hadn't ever listened to the whole album straight through until today.

funeralpudding
08-20-2007, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by GhostInTheMachine
Some people in this thread seem to really like the sound of their own voices.

I've missed you, Nathan.

witahemuii
08-20-2007, 06:02 PM
clever

jefferoo
08-20-2007, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by uncle eggma
perhaps hang on to your ego would be the more suitable version of the beach boys song in this case;)

ZING!!!

btw...
Frank Black's version is better thank the original.
I'm just sayin'.

blaise
08-20-2007, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by jefferoo

Originally posted by uncle eggma

ZING!!!

btw...
Frank Black's version is better thank the original.
I'm just sayin'.

Better thank the original? Whatever that means!

And no, it isn't. No cover of anything on Pet Sounds has come close to being half as good IMO.

jefferoo
08-20-2007, 06:22 PM
well IMO, you are wrong (psst hey, if we turn this into an arguement about the beachboys, people might forget that they are talking about politics)... Or should we continue talking politics?
That is a much better argument for a thread called "shutup"...

blaise
08-20-2007, 06:29 PM
Let's go there!

I say that, uh, Sunflower is one of the best beach boys album, and I don't like Surf's Up very much at all.

blaise
08-20-2007, 06:30 PM
Other not-awesome Beach Boys covers include Pennywise doing some song, and Thurston Moore messing with "here Today"

jefferoo
08-20-2007, 07:18 PM
Is anyone an authority on Van Dyke Parks? All I know is that he has an acclaimed solo LP and he did work w/ the B-Boys. Well, that's not all. I know he produced the Arlo Guthrie song "Valley to Pray" on "Washington County". OK, it all comes out. I'm a big Arlo fan. He was one of my earliest faves as a really little kid.

jefferoo
08-20-2007, 07:24 PM
Here is the most badass video ever...
ARLO ON JOHNNY CASH'S SHOW (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7u49rAw7lcA)

David_R._Gross
08-20-2007, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by jefferoo
Is anyone an authority on Van Dyke Parks? All I know is that he has an acclaimed solo LP and he did work w/ the B-Boys. Well, that's not all. I know he produced the Arlo Guthrie song "Valley to Pray" on "Washington County". OK, it all comes out. I'm a big Arlo fan. He was one of my earliest faves as a really little kid.

Well, I'm not an authority on VDP, but the LP you refer to is called Song Cycle. It was released in 1968, and a friend of mine describes the album as, "show tunes on Acid," which, I feel, is an accurate description. You're right he did work with the Beach Boys, and had a big hand in shaping the long lost Smile (but not that big, cause it never finished from it's original direction.) I'm venturing out of my knowledge base there, however, I knew that Lowell George (of Little Feat, and my favorite artist,) and VDP had many interactions through playing on each otherís albums, and production. VDP seemed to have his hands in everything during the 70's, and youíll be surprised at all the other works, and artists he has been involved with.

Also, Thanks for the reminder of VDP, I through on Song Cycle because of it

Fare Thee Well,

DRG

[Edited on 8-21-0707 by David_R._Gross]

GhostInTheMachine
08-21-2007, 08:15 AM
I've missed you, Nathan.

Whoever he is.

Plus, I really like VDP too, Song Cycle is a work of genius

uncle eggma
08-21-2007, 01:43 PM
discover america is also a great album, it inspired me to comb the used bins of thrift stores for old calypso records (you'd be amazed how many you can find!).clang of the yankee reaper is also a good record, though it's all covers save for one track. van dyke pretty much rules.

[Edited on 8-21-0707 by uncle eggma]