PDA

View Full Version : What is Everyones Opinion of Disco?

hockywierdo
08-16-2007, 11:50 AM
I love it, personally. I think the composers of disco are genius too.

theaddingmachine
08-16-2007, 12:32 PM
http://content.answers.com/main/content/img/amg/pop_albums/6/0/u/c60176j6jul.jpg

a must for any disco fan's collection. "macho duck" is my personal favorite

JackAttack
08-16-2007, 01:05 PM
http://www.unpleasant.org/wp-content/uploads/unpleasant/2007/04/fiedler.jpg

ﺶﻙﯔ
08-16-2007, 02:17 PM
i've always loved disco, although i don't know much about it. my donna summer 12" gets regular play. i could never fathom that "disco sucks" crap...

uncle eggma
08-16-2007, 03:57 PM
the rolling stone's 'miss you' is a good disco song.

horseface
08-16-2007, 04:13 PM
yeah, "miss you" is good disco...as is sparks "no. 1 in heaven". (i'm sure there's other good disco). but the "top ten" disco of the 70's is mostly only good for dancing, if that. pretty crappy stuff.

jlaird
08-16-2007, 04:31 PM
meco star wars and other galactic funk could be considered disco, couldnt it? if so, I like that a lot

Mutineer
08-16-2007, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by horseface
yeah, "miss you" is good disco...as is sparks "no. 1 in heaven". (i'm sure there's other good disco). but the "top ten" disco of the 70's is mostly only good for dancing, if that. pretty crappy stuff.

Oh man, I love Sparks and haven't listened to them in like a year.

I think I should fix this ASAP.

Shiny
08-16-2007, 05:25 PM
My mom was a disco queen... I grew up to it, so I love it of course (even though it annoyed me/embarassed me when I was little). BEE GEES, SON.

feeling_retro
08-17-2007, 08:55 PM
not a fan of disco

theaddingmachine
08-17-2007, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by feeling_retro
not a fan of disco

OH COME ON you retro... feeler

i.am.superman
08-17-2007, 09:44 PM
wow i love disco very much. and whit stillman's 'last days of disco' is one of my favourite films. there is a little information about disco in there, you should check it out.

hockywierdo
08-17-2007, 10:36 PM
anyone got any tunes to recommend?

i was just watching Sgt Pepper Lonely Hearts Club band movie with framtpon and the beegees in it and it was so wierd but not bad really. i lvoe the part with earth wind and fire playing. a lot of the tunes are beatles tunes made more disco-y but some are ok straight up covers.

grimeyno1
08-18-2007, 02:06 AM
hahaha

i was going to come in here and just post the word "sucks".

but you guys already covered both of my freaks and geeks references.

"disco sucks!"

"you know the new stones song 'miss you'? it's disco! everybody knows it, even the stones know it! if they're willing to admit it, why can't you!"

that said, the disco song "the groove line" by heatwave is featured in that very episode.

RaelO
08-18-2007, 05:11 AM
At the time that disco came out, you HAD to hate it. You just did. It was somehow mandatory. if you were a 'real' rock fan, you had to hate it.

So I had 'disco sucks' written on my notebooks, alongside the carefully drawn logos of all the bands I did like.

But...there were a few songs I'd hear and like. It was like, this sort of guilty secret, to know these songs and hear them playing on someone's radio as they blasted out of windows, but still, you know, keep up the 'disco sucks' mentality.

Flash forward many many moons, and disco made a comeback in the gay bars.

Now it was okay to like disco. Which meant I could bring all the geek knowledge I had stashed to light.

blaise
08-18-2007, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by hockywierdo
anyone got any tunes to recommend

I like this song "The White Shadow" by Prism. Kind of icy