PDA

View Full Version : Abrasive music

Ouch!MyPhantomLimb!
01-09-2004, 10:15 PM
Why do we love it (if you are in fact part of the 'we')? Is it the same reason one loves spicey food? Can music be, in and of itself, challenging or do we just challenge ourselves to like it?

This topic brought to you by the first half of the new Mu record.

edit* Ignore the stupid winky face, it's a punctuation flub.

[Edited on 1-10-2004 by Ouch!MyPhantomLimb!]

nervesandgel
01-09-2004, 10:51 PM
i haven't heard the mu record yet (altough i like the and gel part in the title) but i use to be heavily into noise music. i once had a psychologist tell me i listen to it because it helps block out thoughts because too much was going on at once or when loud random things would happen. made sense.

Freakboy
01-10-2004, 02:13 AM
Same reason kids listen to metal. They say it's because they're bad-ass, bu it's really because they had to block out the thoughts and the pain with the loud-osity.
Subconsciously (or maybe completely aware that theyre doing it) theyre doing it.
But me, I dont like hiding from my feelings. I like listening to music that brings up memories or feelings, even if they're sad, because then I can deal with them. It's strange but when I hear a sad song it's more sweet sort of sadness, where yeah it hurt but i understand it and im not alone.

William
01-10-2004, 10:09 AM
I like making abrasive, dischordant music more than I do listening to abrasive music. I guess some music I listen to a kind of abrasive: Bardo Pond, Sonic Youth, etc...not in the same way..like..metal is abrasive though...

spacehorse
01-10-2004, 12:21 PM
i agree with william, it's way more fun to make that kind of music then to listen to it. i actually don't ever really like to listen to noise stuff because most of it (excuse the cliche) sounds the same to me. i have heard some thats good, but not much.

Ouch!MyPhantomLimb!
01-10-2004, 03:10 PM
I'm not talking about pure noise bands, Merzbow and his ilk (though I love Black Dice, the Boredoms, ect), I'm speaking more of contextualized noise and popish music that is just plain abrasive in and of itself. The first Animal Collective and Xiu Xiu records are great example of what I mean when I say contextualized noise: the noise is there more for emotional heft than anything else, it's contexualized to feel sad and frustrated by the melodic scheme surrounding it.

$
01-11-2004, 02:05 AM
for fun

i like "let's get sick" lots

Ouch!MyPhantomLimb!
01-11-2004, 11:38 AM
I was never able to find any beyond clips of the first 30 seconds of every song.
How is it that you hate Xiu Xiu? They're probably tied with the Circulatory System for my "best thing going on in music right now".

nervesandgel
01-11-2004, 02:12 PM
alot of these bands are really reminding me of old industrial music with more of a pop feel and really good production (and no i'm not talking about the goth shi t). more like eintsturzende neubauten, cabert voiltare, residents, nurse with wound, throbbing gristle, ect....

i checked out that mu record, its pretty good.

hey charlie check out these ablums, i think you may like them (if you haven't heard them yet)
download - eyes of stanely pain
lucky dragons - dark falcon
nurse with wound - homotopy to marie

you can download them from me if you want

William
01-11-2004, 03:49 PM
I certainly like noise pop like The Jesus & Mary Chain, Yo La Tengo, etc., I even like The Animal Collective, plus some droney bands like Flying Saucer Attack, and Bardo Pond. I can't enjoy stuff like Old Time Relijun. I like noise fine, but not all noise is abrasive.

Ouch!MyPhantomLimb!
01-12-2004, 02:56 PM
Personally, I think I'd enjoy a 'perverted, new wave Joy Division', but I'm silly like that.

If you don't like Knife Play (probably what you are describing), you still might like A Promise (it almost sounds like different band). Honestly I love it all. I've never been as immediately stunned by an album as I was by Knife Play; I almost got in a number of car accidents listening to it the first time. But hey, to each his own. It takes all kinds.

...and Jamie Stewart sounds damaged and twisted (he IS perhaps the most damaged and twisted musician I can think of, however friendly and kind he is), but he does NOT sound like the eye-patched hooligan from Dead or Alive. Blasphemy!

nervesandgel
01-14-2004, 03:02 AM
the new xiu xiu "fabulous muscles" is freaking amazing!

nervesandgel
01-14-2004, 05:42 AM
okay, i just listened to this album about 15 times in a row, i haven't done that with an album in a long time. now i may try to get some sleep.

Ouch!MyPhantomLimb!
01-14-2004, 06:37 PM
I checked out Download.
Funky.:cool:
However, I'm having very little luck with this whole Lucky Dragon thing.

nervesandgel
01-14-2004, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by Ouch!MyPhantomLimb!
I checked out Download.
Funky.:cool:
However, I'm having very little luck with this whole Lucky Dragon thing.

some download is good, some is bad i really like eyes of stanley pain though, and charlie's family. do you use soulseek? i'll keep my soulseek up so you can download some stuff

my user name is

nervesandgel363

Ouch!MyPhantomLimb!
01-14-2004, 08:13 PM
Thanks!!

typewriters
02-17-2004, 12:02 PM
i mainly listen to harsh noise and power electronics now. merzbow, john wiese, smegma, panicsville, the cherry point, etc. i actually run a short-run noise label called SRR
www.limblessrecords.com/srr

Ouch!MyPhantomLimb!
02-17-2004, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by spiritualdishwasher

Aaaah! How wrong I was! After listening a little harder, I guess, I'm officially in love with Xiu Xiu. I think they're the most sonically interesting band out there, bringing something compelling to the otherwise stagnant indie rock genre.

But I don't own anything by them yet. I was thinking of buying "Fabulous Muscles" since it's the newest one available, but what would be best to pick up? Thanks.

Cool! I couldn't have said it better.

Honestly, I think the best way to listen to Xiu Xiu is to listen from the beginning to all of the albums in order. I would reccomend starting with Knife Play. However, all of them are amazing and essential. Each has it's own identity and stands alone very well.

fusiblelinks
02-19-2004, 05:10 PM
your answer is in a chapter of the wire staff's book called undercurrents
see the chapter entitled "worship the drone" and you'll find out why people are drawn to "abrasive" and "droney" sounds. the western/even tempered scale is missing a lot of stuff. plus most people don't believe that melodies and progressions are allowed to evolve beyond the brian wilson/rolling stones/ beatles method of song writing. they are just afraid to challenge their current view of music, at all.