PDA

View Full Version : saw performance last night?

theaddingmachine
08-15-2007, 09:35 PM
who was able to go? i would love to hear about it

Ldopa
08-15-2007, 09:39 PM
i was there and it was beautiful and bizarre and one of the funnest things i have ever done . you honestly wouldnt believe me if i told you what really went down.

[Edited on 8-16-0707 by Ldopa]

[Edited on 8-16-0707 by Ldopa]

G
08-16-2007, 02:46 AM
pics? audio/video? setlist?

theEngineChoir
08-16-2007, 01:58 PM
the most surreal night of my life

lucylala
08-16-2007, 02:27 PM
quit dicking around and give us some details, bitches!!!

blasticpubble
08-16-2007, 08:21 PM
With this much secrecy, I'm assuming Jeff was involved.

Aqualad
08-16-2007, 09:26 PM
so i guess nothing happened.

lucylala
08-16-2007, 10:01 PM
You guys are fucking assholes.

Ldopa, why did you edit your post twice?

I don't live in NY, but if Julian played a saw performance where I live, I'd share the details with the dozen or so people who actually give a shit. I don't care about Jeff Mangum (that's a lie), I just want to know about the performance.

I'm being hostile, cause you guys are being selfish.

Ldopa
08-16-2007, 10:31 PM
we were asked to be vague and i want to respect julians wishes im sorry
[Edited on 8-17-0707 by Ldopa]

G
08-17-2007, 01:24 AM
ow, come on

lucylala
08-17-2007, 05:18 AM
Originally posted by Ldopa
we were asked to be vague and i want to respect julians wishes im honestly really sorry because i really want to tell you guys what happened

So Julian told those in attendance to keep what happened a secret? Lame.

Ldopa
08-17-2007, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by lucylala

we were asked to be vague and i want to respect julians wishes im honestly really sorry because i really want to tell you guys what happened

So Julian told those in attendance to keep what happened a secret? Lame.

it didnt go down exactly like that we were asked to be vague in order to keep what happened intimate and special. i really didnt even want to say that we were asked to be vague, but at this point at risk of looking like a jerk thats what im leaving it at im sorry again

Aqualad
08-17-2007, 11:10 AM
i don't think telling us will change that nite at all.

lou2ser
08-17-2007, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Aqualad

I agree, but I think we should respect the wishes of Julian. He gave the performance, he makes the rules.

Ldopa
08-17-2007, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by lou2ser

I agree, but I think we should respect the wishes of Julian. He gave the performance, he makes the rules.

exactly! thank you

Stormx
08-17-2007, 11:28 AM

Did you make a pinky promise?

Ldopa
08-17-2007, 11:31 AM
no we swore on a series of golden chalices and some made a blood oath involving a sword and a chariot

lucylala
08-17-2007, 02:56 PM

I disagree 100%. Artists don't get to set the rules once they display their art. If you don't want to share with us, that's okay, but don't hide behind Julian.

I also think its odd that he and his "people" come on this board to announce and promote the performance, but then don't share the details with the very forum by which they promote the performance.

I love Julian's music and am saddened by the fact that I was not able to attend. A small consolation would be a description of the night's events.

Stormx
08-17-2007, 03:07 PM
Here here!

Ldopa
08-17-2007, 03:49 PM

I disagree 100%. Artists don't get to set the rules once they display their art. If you don't want to share with us, that's okay, but don't hide behind Julian.

I also think its odd that he and his "people" come on this board to announce and promote the performance, but then don't share the details with the very forum by which they promote the performance.

I love Julian's music and am saddened by the fact that I was not able to attend. A small consolation would be a description of the night's events.

your really overreacting . 1st of all im not hiding behind any1. i honestly want to tell what happened because it was nuts but we were asked to be vague what dont you get about that? ,"Artists don't get to set the rules once they display their art." that doesnt even apply here , its not like hes withholding an album or a piece of art. the whole time he was talking about these certain special moments in your life and being vague about what happened honestly tied into the theme of what he was saying in order to keep the moment special and intimate. please chill out.

jkirkpleasant
08-17-2007, 03:56 PM
can you say how the night made you feel? would that be vague enough? or your description of the weather, or museum conditions, or a children's story of your own invention with a moral involving tape?

G
08-18-2007, 01:15 AM
at least tell us if he played some stuff from the 1st Symphony?

jono
08-18-2007, 06:44 AM

your really overreacting . 1st of all im not hiding behind any1. i honestly want to tell what happened because it was nuts but we were asked to be vague what dont you get about that? ,"Artists don't get to set the rules once they display their art." that doesnt even apply here , its not like hes withholding an album or a piece of art. the whole time he was talking about these certain special moments in your life and being vague about what happened honestly tied into the theme of what he was saying in order to keep the moment special and intimate. please chill out.

"
i was there and it was beautiful and bizarre and one of the funnest things i have ever done . you honestly wouldnt believe me if i told you what really went down."

If you have an ounce of intelligence you know that "you wouldn't believe me if i told you" is a sure fire way to engender curiosity. If you really wanted it to be special and intimate you would say; I'm not supposed to talk about it, nor do I want to. Whereas what you are doing seems like some attempt to glorify your experience to win attention from others who you depict in your mind as being perversive.

Note: I actually agree that Julian can do as he pleases, i just disagree with how ldopa addresses it.

rogersbowne
08-18-2007, 08:12 AM
I think something happened where they got to join on Saws with Julian or at least sing with him and maybe Jeff showed up. It would have been fun to be there but not much a story to tell. I am more interested in how the acorns were found. Did one of you find them and take them all for your friends or did you each individually take one.

jono
08-18-2007, 08:55 AM
Ok, this is way out there, but just hear me out. I bet, that the secret is, he played music, with his saw.

Anyway, oh well. Just hope decides to do some more performances, perhaps in the UK, i love the saw.

[Edited on 8-18-0707 by jono]

zerosj
08-18-2007, 11:33 AM
hello all, a friend and i went into nyc that night, and i'd like to share my experience: the directions julian left were easy to follow, everything on the walk down the bridle path was exactly as he described it. the website instructed not to enter the park before dusk, which was at 8pm that night. we were late, we finally arrived at the bridge at about 8:45 and searched the lattice work desperately but to no avail. after checking and re-checking for several minutes, we decided to give up. disappointed, we left the park and walked a few blocks to a bar and had some beers. at 10:30 we decided to walk over to the museum to see what the performance would be like. as we approached the museum, it was nearly 11 and a police siren-like sound could be heard in the air. i was so giddy yet depressed as we stood at the bottom of the steps and looked up, about 15 feet up and in the shadows was a small group of people, no more than 10 or 15, huddled close with different types of paper "sailor" hats on their heads. and their faces were all intently watching another shadowy figure seated in front of them, manipulating a musical saw in his lap, emitting beautiful sounds into the night. the sidewalk was still busy with people passing by, some turning their heads curiously but all continuing on their way without a second thought. but we saw one other person also stopped in front of the steps and watching, he walked away after a few minutes, not really knowing what he was witnessing. i was so glad to (kinda) see julian up there, performing again after all these years, the circumstances were so surreal and the way that everyone was so wrapped up in watching him in this unusual venue was so beautiful. but i was so depressed that i didnt have the nerve to go up there without an acorn, although my friend was urging me to go anyway. i had made 2 paper hats for us to wear, she said we ought to just put on the hats and see if he'd be willing to let us stay. i considered it, but then i was worried about attracting the attention of other random people, who might think they could just walk up there, too, to see what was going on. i also thought that if julian only put a certain amount of acorns out, that was the number of people he wanted there, so out of respect for his wishes (which he made clear on the website, in regards to avoiding the attention of the "night watchman" or an "officer of law") i decided not to interrupt. my friend said i would regret walking away, and i told her i knew that. so after a cigarette was smoked, we reluctantly and very slowly walked away until we couldnt hear the saw singing anymore. i'd brought a camera, a micro-cassette recorder and my vinyl copy of "1st imaginary symphony" which i hoped he would autograph, so not getting to use any of those things was incredibly disappointing. right before we left, he brought out what looked like a large cardboard box covered in white paper and spoke to his audience about something, which i strained to hear, but he spoke too softly for the air to carry his words to my ears. i can't properly describe how saddening it was to stand right there and not get to watch closer or speak to julian or learn the "secret" that is being talked about above my post. whatever "secret" things were talked about i'm sure will be known to everyone soon. those priviledged few obviously are not the only music tapes/julian koster fans in the world, that was no doubt a very special night for them, but doesnt it seem like this is just the start of something bigger? well i don't have much more to say... so i'll stop writing now.

Ldopa
08-18-2007, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by jono

"
i was there and it was beautiful and bizarre and one of the funnest things i have ever done . you honestly wouldnt believe me if i told you what really went down."

If you have an ounce of intelligence you know that "you wouldn't believe me if i told you" is a sure fire way to engender curiosity. If you really wanted it to be special and intimate you would say; I'm not supposed to talk about it, nor do I want to. Whereas what you are doing seems like some attempt to glorify your experience to win attention from others who you depict in your mind as being perversive.

Note: I actually agree that Julian can do as he pleases, i just disagree with how ldopa addresses it.

i guess your right that the way i worded it does create curiosity but that wasnt my intent. julians saw performed but its everything else that you guys wouldnt believe and i mean that from my heart 100% YOU WOULD NOT BELIEVE ME it was totally left field and it wasnt to create curiosity that i said that it was because it was the honest truth. think of something ridiculous like after tha show we played duck duck goose for 2 hours with julian koster thats equivalent to how left field it was.
"If you really wanted it to be special and intimate you would say; I'm not supposed to talk about it, nor do I want to." i will say this 4 that last time 4 tha luv of god please listen and understand i would luv to tell you guys every last detail in fact i want to more than anything b/c i know that you guys would luv it and would appreciate how crazy it was BUT WE WERE SPECIFICALLY ASKED TO BE VAGUE . im sorry again i think 4 the third time now even though im not sure 4 what

at this point i realize my mistake was in saying anything at all
i should have not even posted that i was there to begin with.

08-18-2007, 01:08 PM
Oh, don't worry Ldopa, I'm glad you shared what you could. Thank you.

Could there be more future performances? And Nesey Gallons? This is so exciting.

It's strange, but I don't want to know what went on! Just knowing that the performance went on is good enough for me. I hope there are more!

[Edited on 8-18-0707 by 1993]

Ldopa
08-18-2007, 01:13 PM
i wanna say send me a U2U with your aim sn and ill snd you mine and on aim and ill tell you exactly what happened so it doesnt spread but i feel like at this point people will post it out of spite if you really wanna know and you arent the people who got supermean on me i guess you could do that

[Edited on 8-18-0707 by Ldopa]

hockywierdo
08-18-2007, 04:58 PM
could just be saying that cause they actually didnt go but want to seem cool and wanted because people think they went.

i was contemplating saying i went but then i realized there are a few people on the board i know in real life haha.

Stormx
08-18-2007, 05:12 PM
/me throws a dictionary at Ldopa

Ldopa
08-18-2007, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by G
at least tell us if he played some stuff from the 1st Symphony?

he didnt sing at all or play songs from 1st imaginary symphony only his saw played

Killingjoe
08-20-2007, 06:12 AM
I'm just bummed that the only reason I couldn't go was that I coudn't make the rain-date date. :(

Code_J
08-20-2007, 02:05 PM
Can someone at least disclose if it was mostly family fun or if it was PG-13-esque. I just wanted to know because I almost brought my little sister (but my mother had already gotten tickets for Broadway that night so I was unable to make it).

el topo
08-26-2007, 07:12 AM
Zerosj, please check your U2U.
Thanks

hockywierdo
08-26-2007, 10:23 AM
...is it cause he didnt get to see the sawness but hung around.. does julian troll the boardssss haha

anyone want to share a bit of waht happend? anyone?

tackledspoon
09-14-2007, 06:59 PM
This is going to drive me crazy. I can't believe that I hadn't heard about this show.

pinocchio
09-14-2007, 07:16 PM
i have to say that it's unbelievable how high and mighty people think they are. i also like the music tapes (not a lot i'll admit). i don't find much interesting about the music, but that's me. anyway, what's so secretive? why be discrete. i love how this consumes peoples' lives. veiling this shit doesn't make it fun and is more of a turn off than anything. cool, some people have jobs and lives and couldn't make it even though it would have been fun to talk to julian. just because i'm not big into music tapes, doesn't mean i would've been happy to see julian koster and maybe have a word with him. whatever.

Aqualad
09-14-2007, 07:45 PM
This is blackmail!

hockywierdo
09-15-2007, 02:22 PM
haha
i doubt julian would even know who you are if you posted but whatever. it owul dbe cool to know what happend.

starman
01-03-2008, 04:11 PM
Hate to bring up a heated topic, but does anyone feel like sharing yet? I would just really love to hear what happened since there was no way for me to be there due distance. If the offer still stands for sharing on AIM, my sn is duogmegost, and would love to hear, or you could post it on here for all the people that care to see. Thanks.

Gotham
01-11-2008, 12:48 AM
I concur with starman, and I would love to know, and I understand if you would still like to remain secretive. My screen name is iatenemo4dinner, or you can u2u me. Thanks.

c_elephant
01-11-2008, 04:42 PM
This is a really weird thread! Maybe someone got sawed by the saw and the vagueness is to avoid criminal charges!

Gotham
01-21-2008, 12:25 AM
dude i think you cracked the case