PDA

View Full Version : Best mountain goats album

tomatoesandradiowires
08-13-2007, 10:11 AM
Name your favorite(s)!

It should be noted I'm only familiar with Tallahasee, The Sunset tree, Zopilote Machine and Get Lonely. With this limited exposure, I have to go with Zopilote Machine.

I also have two questions, Has anyone purchased any of the collections? (protein source of the future now, bitter melon farm, ghana) and If so was it worth it/which is the best? and has anyone had any exposure to other stuff darnielle has been a part of (the congress, the extra glenns..)?

Figglyduff
08-13-2007, 01:26 PM
I have Bitter Melon Farm but I don't really listen to it compared to the ablums I own, of which my favourite is probably Sunset Tree- I only have that one, Tallahasse, We Shall All Be Healed, Get Lonely and Sweden though. I keep meaning to get some more, one day I will along with all the other billion of CDs I've been meaning to get. There are just too many Mountain Goats albums, really.

tomatoesandradiowires
08-13-2007, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by jcmoods
I have every mountain goats release ever(just about). Anybody want me to upload them all somewhere?

[Edited on 8-13-0707 by jcmoods]

Ab.so.lutely.

Shiny
08-13-2007, 02:28 PM
All Hail West Texas is great... though that's one of the only Mountain Goats albums I've listened to. A friend got me hooked with "The Mess Inside" a long time ago.

tomatoesandradiowires
08-13-2007, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by jcmoods
I'm a dumbass. I'll just link to you guys the source where I got them from.

http://www.isohunt.com/torrents/?ihq=the+mountain+goats - It's the discography one, fourth down. It's got virtually everything.

Amazing, thank you.

dreamer27
08-13-2007, 05:36 PM
All Hail West Texas!!!

I have heard all of their full-length releases, and that is my favorite as of right now, but it does switch from time to time. Anyone else dissapointed in "Get Lonely"?

mezezezah
08-13-2007, 06:12 PM
Sunset Tree is awesome

piaptk
08-14-2007, 12:35 AM
I'd say All Hail West Texas or Tallahassee...

tomatoesandradiowires
08-14-2007, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by dreamer27
All Hail West Texas!!!

I have heard all of their full-length releases, and that is my favorite as of right now, but it does switch from time to time. Anyone else dissapointed in "Get Lonely"?

Get lonely is a bit too similar throughout for my liking, and it doesn't quite have the bite, wit, or endearing cynycism the other albums have, but some of the imagery is beautiful and the lyrics ( the words as well as how they are sung) are wonderfully haunting.

And Jc, I just downloaded the torrent! Unbelievable, you're my favorite!

uncle eggma
08-14-2007, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by piaptk
I'd say All Hail West Texas or Tallahassee...

two greats, as is full force galesburg. but my personal favorite is the coroner's gambit.

but nine black poppies has the song "cubs in five" which is probably my favorite mg song.

perry
08-16-2007, 09:40 AM
coroner's gambit.
gotta be.

tackledspoon
08-16-2007, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by perry
coroner's gambit.
gotta be.
Coroner's Gambit is one of my favorite albums, period.
There are no "bad" Mountain Goats albums. I have Sweden, Zipolite Machine, Hot Garden Stomp, Hail and Farewell Gothenburg, Sunset Tree and Get Lonely and I play all of them fairly regularly. I prefer the older stuff, but the polished sound suits them (him?) nicely, as well.

As for the compilations, I have "Ghana" and "Protein Sources..." and both are fantastic. I reccomend that any and all fans of early Mountain Goats pick these up. "Ghana" may actually be my favorite MG release after The Coroner's Gambit, though Zipolite Machine scores major points for "Going to Georgia."

I love this band so much.

Figglyduff
08-16-2007, 11:14 AM
Its taking ages to download that discography :D

Also, I was not as big on Get Lonely as the others I have either- It's not that I didn't like it it just didn't have any stand out tracks the way that others did. But I dunno, I haven't listened to it in a while actually, I'll put it on now maybe.

uncle eggma
08-16-2007, 01:26 PM
bitter melon farm is great too in addition to ghana and protein sources. it's the third (i think) in that three beads of sweat comp. series.