• Worried
  • Yeehaw
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
      blasticpubble is offline Senior E6er
      I am:
      Happy!

Default Incredible String Band

Any Incredible String Band fans here?

The first time I heard Neutral Milk Hotel, Jeff's voice reminded me a little of Robin Williamson (or whatever the hippie one's name was) with his folky warbling style daring to go for notes outside of what people would suggest is his acceptable range. (I love Jeff's voice, this was just what I thought on those first couple of listens.. but keep in mind I also thought Jeff sounded like the singer in Oasis!)

The eclectic instrumentation in ISB is kind of like the E6 kitchen sink style, but just sort of.

Anyway, I've only really heard their album The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter. Can anybody recommend if I should check out their one with the psychedelic cover painted by The Fool (something about layers of the onion?) or the debut with the original founder who left the band after that? I liked getting high to Hangman's in high school, but then it got annoying. And I discovered stuff that got me off a lot more (why i'm here).

any way? ISB anyone?

Gokk Guest
      I am:
      Happy!

I've heard that album but found it boring.

However, that's the kind of band I like to like, so I'd love to give them multiple chances at becoming a band I listen to.

auxiliaryoctopus Guest
      I am:
      Happy!

I like Hangman's Daughter better, but the 5000 Spirits or Layers of the Onion is pretty good too. Worth hearing for sure. It has more conventional songs on it.

dr.barfton Guest
      I am:
      Happy!

DUDE SERIOUSLY DIG DEEP WITH THESE GUYS THEYRE FUCKING SPECTACULAR..TO REALLY GET INTO IT WATCH THE DVD "BE GLAD FOR THE SONG HAS NO ENDING" IT HAS THE BEST SONG THEY'VE EVER DONE(WHICH WAS NEVER RELEASED ON ANYTHING ELSE) CALLED "ALL WRIT DOWN" ITS REALLY A BEAUTIFUL TUNE
      THEYRE A SPECIAL SPECIAL BAND

horseface is offline Senior E6er
      I am:
      Happy!

i've only heard their material from what's considered their peak period which you guys have already mentioned but in addition i would recommend "wee tam". very accessible and tuneful work from them imo w/ mainly just acoustic guitar's and sitar's. it's my personal favorite from them.

WilliamTaft Guest
      I am:
      Happy!

hell yeah! Koeeoaddi There was all i listened to last spring

[Edited on 12-8-0606 by WilliamTaft]

blasticpubble is offline Senior E6er
      I am:
      Happy!

Originally posted by horseface
      i've only heard their material from what's considered their peak period which you guys have already mentioned but in addition i would recommend "wee tam". very accessible and tuneful work from them imo w/ mainly just acoustic guitar's and sitar's. it's my personal favorite from them.
      i actually have wee tam on vinyl and played it once but was underwhelmed. i think i should put it back on though.

any opinions on the debut? i was hesitant to buy it once when i considered it about 9 years ago because there's a song on there called "N-wordtown"

atrocities Guest
      I am:
      Happy!

Originally posted by dr.barfton
      DUDE SERIOUSLY DIG DEEP WITH THESE GUYS THEYRE FUCKING SPECTACULAR..TO REALLY GET INTO IT WATCH THE DVD "BE GLAD FOR THE SONG HAS NO ENDING" IT HAS THE BEST SONG THEY'VE EVER DONE(WHICH WAS NEVER RELEASED ON ANYTHING ELSE) CALLED "ALL WRIT DOWN" ITS REALLY A BEAUTIFUL TUNE
      THEYRE A SPECIAL SPECIAL BAND
      STOP YELLING!

Plastic_hero Guest
      I am:
      Happy!

ISB are, well, incredible! Hangman's Beautiful Daughter probably one of my favorite albums all together.

Liam_Shoemole is offline Senior E6er
      I am:
      Happy!

Originally posted by blasticpubble
      Any Incredible String Band fans here?

The first time I heard Neutral Milk Hotel, Jeff's voice reminded me a little of Robin Williamson (or whatever the hippie one's name was) with his folky warbling style daring to go for notes outside of what people would suggest is his acceptable range. (I love Jeff's voice, this was just what I thought on those first couple of listens.. but keep in mind I also thought Jeff sounded like the singer in Oasis!)

The eclectic instrumentation in ISB is kind of like the E6 kitchen sink style, but just sort of.

Anyway, I've only really heard their album The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter. Can anybody recommend if I should check out their one with the psychedelic cover painted by The Fool (something about layers of the onion?) or the debut with the original founder who left the band after that? I liked getting high to Hangman's in high school, but then it got annoying. And I discovered stuff that got me off a lot more (why i'm here).

any way? ISB anyone?
      *latches onto your leg*

I found NMH through someone recommending it to my after me letting them hear some ISB. I absolutely worship them. No really.

I posted this a couple of weeks ago: click this link, search for my name.

People who like NMH (everyone here) should at least give this band a quick listen. As for questions about the various albums, their debut isn't that representative of what is considered quintissential String Band, but it still has that whimsy and spark. Widely considered their best is the third, The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter. Their second (the one with the psychadelic cover) 5000 Spirits or the Layers of the Onion, is well worth a listen but my favourite one is probably their fourth, Wee Tam and the Big Huge. This was one album in the UK, but the greedy record company split it up for the US release. After this comes Changing Horses and I Looked Up. While good albums, you should only get these if you're looking for more ISB because you like the previous ones. There are more albums later but they eventually become standard '70s rock and nothing special.

About the first album's track "N-word" Town, bear in mind that this was 1966, and the tune is a solo banjo instrumental by the member who left after this album. There's nothing racist about the tune, it's just a tune. When they played it after they reformed in the early 2000s, they just called it "Banjo Tune".

http://www.myspace.com/incrediblestringband

Give The Iron Stone a listen.

Wow, I hope my insane rant hasn't scared anyone off.

*ceases frothing at the mouth*

[Edited on 9-12-0606 by Liam_Shoemole]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast