• Worried
  • Yeehaw
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
      Ray Baltimore is offline Senior E6er
      I am:
      Psychedelic

Default Brief Interview With Nesey

Hey all,
      Did't know where I should put this... Thought the relevance is most important on the site. Though this doesn't mean much to anyone not in the Tampa Bay area of Florida, I am currently in works of trying to get a show for Nesey to go to in my region. Any fans who live in this area and would like to see Nesey, well hey, a little help from the friends would be groovy.
      Here's my little interview as it is now, may try and send it to a local magazine (Creative Loafing) to help promote Mr. Gallons if all goes well.

Q. I'd like to start this interview with asking how long have you made music?
      i first started making recordings with a boombox when i was a kid. 6 or 7.
      i learned a horn when i was 9 or 10. stopped playing. took up guitar when i was 13ish.
      not sure when it became "music" but i definitely grew up fascinated with manipulating
      sound in every possible way.

Q. How did you end up being part of the Elephant 6 Collective?
      originally because julian asked me to help with some music tapes stuff back in winter/spring '02.
      i think thats when i first worked on anything Officially related to those guys.

Q. Okay what got you into making music?
      i think when i was a kid it was because i could articulate stuff with sound that i didnt know how to express with words. there seemed to be this emotional thread running through sound that was like a secret language. the olivia tremor control inspired me when i was 14/15 years old because they were so good at bridging between Sound and Music. previously it had seemed that the two must remain relatively separate.

Q. Was there any specific musicians or people that got you into it?
      my uncle deserves some credit. i was headed down that path anyway, but he would give me tapes of stuff he was listening to. i started listening to john coltrane, steve reich, john zorn, stravinsky, zappa, a lot of pretty strange stuff. remember, this is before the internet. 12 year olds from some small town in maine werent listening to music for 18 musicians or naked city. not in the mid 90s. so he deserves a lot of credit for recognising what kindof creature i was and sharing that stuff with me.

Q. When you manipulate sound, is there any specific expressions you wish to give to the listener? Listening to the newest album, when i was an ice skater, I heard what others have liked to call nostalgic. It was an album to me that I could feel.
      it depends on the project. when i first started working on ice skater i was discouraged by how emotionally empty the recordings sounded. i had just bought a new tape machine and i thought it sounded soulless. the tracks were technically quite superb, and very well performed, but i hated it. i erased the tapes and started over. at some point i started using this very rough method similar to stuff i did when i was a teenager. more undisciplined and chaotic. sloppy but colorful. then i started getting results i was happy with.
      its nostalgic for life. pretty much the whole album is written from the perspective of death looking back through life, so i guess it makes sense that it would sound nostalgic!

Q. Which is the most important element of music for you, the sound or lyrics?
      it depends on the project but usually some complementary combination of sound, music and words. ultimately substance matters more than aesthetic.

Q.When you create music, is there usually something you wish to express for the listener? If so, are there any examples?
      im going to assume that you meant to the listener and not for.
      most of the albums ive released so far are pretty selfish/private, so im not sure. hardly any of it was created with anyone in mind. some of my more recent
      compositions are different. lately ive felt some of that catcher in the rye feeling. i know there are a bunch of kids out there who are a lot like i was, just heading for this cliff. plenty of them are going to topple off the edge and get smashed up like i did, but id like to help arm some of them against being destroyed completely. some of the new album im writing seems to have that intent at its heart.

Q. Do you have any interesting stories about concerts or gigs?
      one of the nicest memories is of the holiday surprise show in portland maine back in 2008. everyone stayed at my house on peaks island while we were in town for the show. it was really crazy to have all those folks there for two nights. everybody stayed up late drinking and joking on the porch by the sea. somebody left some earplugs and a gummy worm on a windowsill. after bill died i saw this picture of him on the island waiting for the ferry and it made me doubly grateful to have experienced that time with those guys.

Q. I've heard that you may stop using Nesey Gallons as your name on future projects, what led you to this decision?
      most of "ice skater" was written between '02 and '07. my life has changed so much between then and now so it seemed like it could be important symbolically or whatever to "turn the page" and begin a new era. but i dunno. i dont care much either way now.

Q. How's the movie you've been working on coming along? And could you also give me a overview of the project? I've seen bits about it on Townhall but would like to know what led you to do the movie and are you just an actor in it or help do music as well?
      "present" is going to be released this spring. this fella named joe chang wrote and directed it. he hired me to act and do music. we came to be Actual Friends and have some other collaborations we're kicking around. im looking forward to when "present" is in the past (ha ha) cos we'll be able to focus on those new projects.

henriksenwill is offline Junior E6er
      I am:
      Happy!

Add henriksenwill on Facebook

This is very cool, thank you for sharing! Didn't realize When I Was an Ice Skater was all written so long ago.
      Music band: www.harmoos.com

ufoinkushiro is offline Senior E6er
      I am:
      Bookworm

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Baltimore View Post
      Q. When you manipulate sound, is there any specific expressions you wish to give to the listener? Listening to the newest album, when i was an ice skater, I heard what others have liked to call nostalgic. It was an album to me that I could feel.
      it depends on the project. when i first started working on ice skater i was discouraged by how emotionally empty the recordings sounded. i had just bought a new tape machine and i thought it sounded soulless.
      i'd like to know which machine that was! to the extent of my knowledge most of ice skater was portastudio, wollensak r2r, fostex m80 and a computer.

nesey is offline Senior E6er
      I am:
      Sleepy

it was the fostex m80. the truth is i never liked that machine much. i learned how to make it usable but at first it just made everything sound like some 80s pop record. the solution was using the nagra III. a lot of the basic tracks were made using that... then id mix that onto the fostex and make some overdubs. tracks 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7 and 12 all use the nagra in some fashion. the other tape machine i used heavily was a tandberg reel to reel. thats what makes the tape echo on oh my love, interplanetary navigation, st petersburg and daguerreotype. by flipping the tape speed switch you get all those wacky effects that you hear on the end of st petersburg.
      i think those are all the tape machines on that record..(including the other ones you mentioned.) oh. except the marantz cassette recorder. i used that to get the sorta cosy boombox type vocal sound that ice skater and st petersburg have.

I am:
      Sleepy

mr baltimore sent me a message saying he's posted that interview here and i thought id re-read whatever id written!
      i was thinking maybe there should be some sortof "conversations with nesey" thread here thats the one i post in cos i dont feel that comfortable visiting or posting. it feels weird. but itd be nice if there was a way i could periodically visit and interact with folks without intruding on whatever private discussions might wish to exist. does that make sense?

spiffy_kimbean is offline Senior E6er
      I am:
      Psychedelic

Quote Originally Posted by nesey View Post
      .... itd be nice if there was a way i could periodically visit and interact with folks without intruding on whatever private discussions might wish to exist. does that make sense?
      Well, honestly, the only way you're going to be able to pull off a private conversation here is via messaging. Everything else here is basically public. If you'd like to keep it to one ongoing thread, great, but please don't feel like you're encroaching or intruding.

I am:
      Sleepy

thats nice of you to say. but i think itd be kinda useful to have something separate thats the only thing i ever look at here. except maybe the tea thread. that tea thread is one of the best threads ever. hats off to abel.

BrainDamege is offline Senior E6er
      I am:
      Happy!

heey raay!!! look at you!!! great to have you here!!!! The return investment for being cool with you has certainly paid off to say the least. thanks for the post. Florida... ahh been there once for disney world.

I like that he mentions that he liked Olivia Tremor Controls use of sound with music. I was just thinking about that in relation to contemporary music with not so much focus on harmonies as there is with rhythm. I like that Olivia Tremor Control used these percussive sounds to move the music along. Its so refreshing and unusual.

Everyone says Nessey sound "nostalgic" I agree to some exstent and I do get a "looking back" feeling, but it always makes me want to do super modern choreography like I'm rising from the dead and it gives me an excuse to do something "ugly" and "untraditional" and "silly" almost. Some of his music makes it compleatly okay to let go and totaly creep everyone out!!! XD!!! Or at least try. I don't feel dumb if someone is like "she's insane call an ambulance..."

what did they say on Speak to Me??? "I've always been mad I've been mad for years"
      Last edited by BrainDamege; 03-07-2013 at 12:41 PM. Reason: these not thease
      I know damage is spelled damage but I got too creative trying to utilize dame in brain dame age.

Quote Originally Posted by Abel View Post
      Hey BrainDamege, you're a good writer. Do you want to write news articles on my blog?

BrainDamege is offline Senior E6er
      I am:
      Happy!

Quote Originally Posted by spiffy_kimbean View Post
      encroaching
      good word!
      I know damage is spelled damage but I got too creative trying to utilize dame in brain dame age.

Quote Originally Posted by Abel View Post
      Hey BrainDamege, you're a good writer. Do you want to write news articles on my blog?

Ray Baltimore is offline Senior E6er
      I am:
      Psychedelic

Quote Originally Posted by BrainDamege View Post
      heey raay!!! look at you!!! great to have you here!!!! The return investment for being cool with you has certainly paid off to say the least. thanks for the post. Florida... ahh been there once for disney world.

I like that he mentions that he liked Olivia Tremor Controls use of sound with music. I was just thinking about that in relation to contemporary music with not so much focus on harmonies as there is with rhythm. I like that Olivia Tremor Control used these percussive sounds to move the music along. Its so refreshing and unusual.
      Truthfully, like I've mentioned in some other endeavors with E6 stuff, I want to see something where for us fans we can have a concrete solid exchange of information. The forum is great for that, and I think a step further would be really great, and I hope Kelly, as amazing as she is, is putting the steps into doing that with the site.
      And this is just my opinion, but what I thinks even cooler about Nesey's like of Olivia Tremor Control is that he has Will come in and play with him for some tracks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast