• Wicked
  • Woot!
  • Worried
  • Yeehaw
  • Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
      nesey is offline Senior E6er
      I am:
      Sleepy

the real purpose of that post was to let people know of my intention to play shows in 2013 and how to get in touch if they wanted to, and not so much to solicit help from anyone.
      that said: if you think you know a decent place to play where some kids would probably show up im open to suggestions. but i probably cant afford to drive to hogbert county usa to play for 2 goats and an 11 year old

BrainDamege is offline Senior E6er
      I am:
      Happy!

Quote Originally Posted by nesey View Post
      but i probably cant afford to drive to hogbert county usa to play for 2 goats and an 11 year old
      goats are really cool don't get me wrong but they are very agressive too!!! they are always trying to headbutt your shins.

and playing for a single 11 year old... well... I guess nesey isn't like raffi. raffi revolutionized childrens music.
      I know damage is spelled damage but I got too creative trying to utilize dame in brain dame age.

Quote Originally Posted by Abel View Post
      Hey BrainDamege, you're a good writer. Do you want to write news articles on my blog?

ketmit is offline Junior E6er
      I am:
      Happy!

Follow ketmit On Twitter

This album was recommended by a friend of mine but I have to admit, I'm really disappointed. There are a lot of tuning, timing, and recording issues throughout. It seems to have the feeling of a demo that some 15-year-old might record in their bedroom. The singing is mostly barely audible whispering with the same (or very similar) vocal melodies heard repeatedly in different songs. The lyrics mostly consist of the words "through", "I remember", and "when I was/when you were" over and over again. It seems like this artist ran out of ideas after recording the first song. It would be one thing if this formula worked, but it just makes for a miserable, dreary, collection of pretentiousness.

There are a few moments that are nice, though. The instrumentation on "I remember eyes" was interesting, with a great bass line and some lovely violin, woodwind, and synth parts. A strong and memorable vocal hook would have made this into a very nice song. "Aurelia" was a refreshing change in the pacing, and a fuller drum sound would have given it some much-needed energy.

Ah well, it does seem like a hastily put together collection of demos and maybe Nesey will flesh out some of the ideas more soon. Until then, I'm glad I listened before paying $8 for something that feels so incomplete.

I am:
      Happy!

Quote Originally Posted by ketmit View Post
      "Aurelia" was a refreshing change in the pacing, and a fuller drum sound would have given it some much-needed energy.
      I really like the sleepy almost floating feel of aurelia and i think the bass line walks so evenly I wouldn't want to hear anything else from the drum set. I can't wait to really put together some solid choreo to it.

$8 is nothing. what can you get for 8$ today? NOTHING. when George on Seinfeild got robed the woman who took his wallet complained he only had $8 on him. something that cost $8 should be totaly uncomplete. you get what you pay for. eight dollars?!?! thats like chump change!!! I would pay 8$ for like... a piece of sheet music. or like... I don't know! that wouldn't even buy you dish at a restaurant. you could go to the 99 cent store and get some things I guess.
      I know damage is spelled damage but I got too creative trying to utilize dame in brain dame age.

Hey BrainDamege, you're a good writer. Do you want to write news articles on my blog?

Abel is offline Senior E6er
      I am:
      Crappy

This album was recommended by a friend of mine but I have to admit, I'm really disappointed. There are a lot of tuning, timing, and recording issues throughout. It seems to have the feeling of a demo that some 15-year-old might record in their bedroom. The singing is mostly barely audible whispering with the same (or very similar) vocal melodies heard repeatedly in different songs. The lyrics mostly consist of the words "through", "I remember", and "when I was/when you were" over and over again. It seems like this artist ran out of ideas after recording the first song. It would be one thing if this formula worked, but it just makes for a miserable, dreary, collection of pretentiousness.

There are a few moments that are nice, though. The instrumentation on "I remember eyes" was interesting, with a great bass line and some lovely violin, woodwind, and synth parts. A strong and memorable vocal hook would have made this into a very nice song. "Aurelia" was a refreshing change in the pacing, and a fuller drum sound would have given it some much-needed energy.

Ah well, it does seem like a hastily put together collection of demos and maybe Nesey will flesh out some of the ideas more soon. Until then, I'm glad I listened before paying $8 for something that feels so incomplete.
      I agree (Nesey is not my bag), but I think that's how all of his songs are, because that's what he's going for. The people who like his music aren't expecting brilliant musicianship or professional production, they're just looking for something warm and nostalgic.

I am:
      Happy!

I agree (Nesey is not my bag), but I think that's how all of his songs are, because that's what he's going for. The people who like his music aren't expecting brilliant musicianship or professional production, they're just looking for something warm and nostalgic.
      I'm not expecting professional prodction (and I like the effect and "fuzz" you get) in the least but I am *without a doubt expecting the upmost musicianship, or else I wouldn't give him a second of my time I don't listen to shit music or people who don't give a fuck.... and nesey has great musicianship skills. he stays on count, accents the down beat at times (that i like) makes great use of non-chord tones, and resolves correct. I don't know if he has had any formal education, but there is such thing as a "natural".

his acting on the other hand.... eeek.

maybe you interpret his music as nostalgic and I can see why, but for me (*me* abel meaning *not everyone in the world*) this gives me a modern feel. I'll show you what I mean eventually but I need time for thease things. so sit and wait like the dog that you are. i deliver i promise.

I am:
      Crappy

Maybe Nesey's a great musician, but the people playing on the album aren't always in time? You can be as picky as you want, and this guy apparently is really picky about timing, but he has a point. I sat across a table from Nesey as he played me a bunch of songs, but I wasn't blown away by incredible musicianship. He's good, but I'm just saying it's not the focus of his music.

I am:
      Happy!

Quote Originally Posted by BrainDamege View Post
      $8 is nothing. what can you get for 8$ today? NOTHING. when George on Seinfeild got robed the woman who took his wallet complained he only had $8 on him. something that cost $8 should be totally uncompleted. you get what you pay for. eight dollars?!?! thats like chump change!!! I would pay 8$ for like... a piece of sheet music. or like... I don't know! that wouldn't even buy you dish at a restaurant. you could go to the 99 cent store and get some things I guess.
      but I thought that this would make you go off all crazy like you do.... didn't you read that??? I'm treating money like, you know, frivolously??? you can like, you know, go see a movie with eight dollars... oh wait no you can't.

and I don't care about anything you said there, all I know is that what I have heard, is legitimate. you are not qualified to be talking music theory to me.

I am:
      Crappy

Are you talking to me? I didn't say anything about the price. Bandcamp recommends $7 as a starting point for selling albums, based on their vast amount of data:
      Quote Originally Posted by Bandcamp
      For digital albums of seven tracks or more, most artists will maximize their earnings by charging $7 USD. For EP-length albums (six tracks or fewer), $4 USD is the sweet spot. But again, there are exceptions, and if you’re an established artist who has seen recent success charging $18 for your digital albums, go for it. However, in all cases, leaving “let fans pay more if they want” checked is key: fans pay more than the minimum a whopping 40% of the time, driving up the average price paid by nearly 50% (in fact, every day, we see uberfans paying $50, $100, $200 for albums priced far lower).
      We're not exactly talking about music theory, we're just talking about precision in performance and quality in production. I have a lot of experience in both of those areas. Plus, I took several courses in music theory in college, anyway.
      Last edited by Abel; 12-06-2012 at 10:52 PM.

Birds...The silent killer is offline Senior E6er
      I am:
      None

The lyrics mostly consist of the words "through", "I remember", and "when I was/when you were" over and over again.
      This gave me a good laugh. So true, but I wouldn't consider it a fault. It establishes a theme of memories and by-gone times that is prevalent in all his music. That's one of the reasons I love his music so much.

Oh, and I really can't consider any evaluation of music that uses the word "pretentious." I swear, that is the most overused and misused word next to "irony."

I've listened to the album a couple times now and really enjoy it. Since we are on the subject of recording quality and production, I've noticed his music sounds a lot better on headphones than on speakers. Not sure if this is due to his style or his shortcomings. The latter seems unlikely because many albums are like that.

I think the real appealing skill that Nesey has is in his ability to conjure up musical environments. I'd explain it like this: a great
      pop song can be enjoyed while doing other things. It accompanies you in daily activities or social settings. You simply take it at face value. Music like Nesey's requires attention, it sets the mood and invites you into another time and place. This is done through imagery and texture. These two qualities really compliment each other in his music, more so than most, if any, I can think of. And he does this in a way that is almost entirely unexplored by music, with the exception of Julian Koster. I'm a real sucker for the imagery Nesey uses. That's probably the reason I love his music. I can see a real disconnect happening if one isn't into nostalgia and antiquity and the feelings he brings up in his songs.

Still, I can't understand how anyone can not like "There Won't be any Crows." Song is genius.
      Who knew that there would actually be a hell, and that it would be in New Jersey?

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast