• Woot!
  • Worried
  • Yeehaw
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
      vonhemmling is offline Junior E6er
      I am:
      None

Default my new stuff is done!

finishing it nearly killed me but my new project is finally done. check it out here:

http://www.vonhemmling.net/

jim

AndrewSamson is offline Senior E6er
      I am:
      I'm Where?

Follow AndrewSamson On Twitter Add AndrewSamson on Facebook

Very beautiful stuff, quite sad though. Hope you're doing okay for the time being, and that you can recover.
      You're in my thoughts Jim!

Dig,
      Andrew
      Last edited by AndrewSamson; 12-06-2011 at 05:21 PM.

one-headedboy is offline Senior E6er
      I am:
      Horny

was very unsure of Koan Luke at first, but it gradually turned into this beautiful piece.
      Are you sad about your mountain? ̹̫̰̪̰̝̭̒̌ͫ̈ ̖̱̩̟̣̝͖̯̱͋̂̈́̅͟͝d̬͍̍ͬ̆ͮ̂̀͡͞ ̈́͂̌̉͏̶̟͔̹̫̳t̥̮͖͌ͭͦ̂ͩͨ́̐͝͞?̵̧͈̹̫̰̪̰̝̭̒̌ͫ̈ ̖̱̩̟̣̝͖̯̱͋̂̈́̅͟͝d̬͍̍ͬ̆ͮ̂̀͡͞ ̈́͂̌̉͏̶̟͔̹̫̳☻͉̪̾͌̇̉̋̍ͬ̏͆͆͒̄̀|͖̲͇̰̀ͬ̈́̃̂̅͆̌̎̈́͒ ̎͗̈͌ ͊͒ͧ͢͢|̢͌̿ͮͨ̂̓̇Was this a continent you liked?,
      Quote Originally Posted by Gotham View Post
      At the concert I saw he just said, "All I wanna say is, Sonic the Hedgehog. Just Once. Sonic the Hedgehog. Okay, Twice."
      ?̵̧͈̹̫̰̪̰̝̭̒̌ͫ̈ ̖̱̩̟̣̝͖̯̱͋̂̈́̅͟͝d̬͍̍ͬ̆ͮ̂̀͡͞ ̈́͂̌̉͏̶̟͔̹̫̳ |͆̆ͯ̓͐ͮ͛̀͊͗ͮ̈́̔̌͗|̡̉̈ͪ́͘

You had me at Helvetica.

thedreamcomparison is offline Senior E6er
      I am:
      Mellow

Follow thedreamcomparison On Twitter Add thedreamcomparison on Facebook

ahhh exciting!!

veggieman is offline Senior E6er
      I am:
      Depressed

Follow veggieman On Twitter

Whoa this is really cool
      Quote Originally Posted by drumsandfire View Post
      You're already playing, buttpopsicle.

Akryllic Love is offline Senior E6er
      I am:
      Ornery

I am:
      None

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewSamson View Post
      Very beautiful stuff, quite sad though. Hope you're doing okay for the time being, and that you can recover.
      You're in my thoughts Jim!

Dig,
      Andrew
      Thanks a bunch Andrew and anyone who has taken the time to check it out. Over the last 9 months I've verrrrry slowly edited the text to make it a little more clear and concise. I'm ready to leave it as it is and say it's done for good. So the link again is:

http://www.vonhemmling.net/

And a note to everybody...Please be careful when taking quinolone antibiotics: Levaquin, Cipro and Avelox are the most common ones. They can have very disastrous and lasting side effects and should only be used when absolutely no other antibiotics are available.

Also, I've added a few things to Youtube. Here's one that most folks might not be aware of. As it says, it's 99 song ideas dictated into a handheld cassette recorder between November 1999 and July 2000.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5BMmUKZtBQ
      Last edited by vonhemmling; 09-13-2012 at 08:59 PM.

Birds...The silent killer is offline Senior E6er
      I am:
      Happy!

Quinilones are super common prescriptions and in general, are very safe. This kind of stuff happens less than .1% of the time. Drugs are only on the market if the benefit outweighs the risk.
      Just look out if you have myasthenia gravis. The other thing to look out for is muscle pain or tendonitis that occurs while taking this class of drugs. Those are now famous side effects for the quinilones and the packaging now reflects it. Unfortunately, tragedies are inevitable.
      In general, if you're taking a prescription and something (anything) doesn't feel right, call your doctor or pharmacist. Most of the time it's minor but some are not so lucky. Jim, you're doing a good thing by bringing this to the attention of the public. All too often, individuals do not know what to watch out for with their prescriptions.
      Who knew that there would actually be a hell, and that it would be in New Jersey?

I am:
      None

Quote Originally Posted by Birds...The silent killer View Post
      Quinilones are super common prescriptions and in general, are very safe. This kind of stuff happens less than .1% of the time. Drugs are only on the market if the benefit outweighs the risk.
      Just look out if you have myasthenia gravis. The other thing to look out for is muscle pain or tendonitis that occurs while taking this class of drugs. Those are now famous side effects for the quinilones and the packaging now reflects it. Unfortunately, tragedies are inevitable.
      In general, if you're taking a prescription and something (anything) doesn't feel right, call your doctor or pharmacist. Most of the time it's minor but some are not so lucky. Jim, you're doing a good thing by bringing this to the attention of the public. All too often, individuals do not know what to watch out for with their prescriptions.

Yeah they are very common - Levaquin was the most prescribed antibiotic in North America last year. And my experience is thankfully relatively rare, but nobody really knows what percentage of people have serious reactions to quinolones (I do know there are many anecdotal accounts on the Internet). Almost 5% of people who were given Levaquin in phase 3 of it's clinical trials had to stop taking the drug because of a reaction. A big problem is the fact that some adverse side effects can take weeks or months after the drug is discontinued to manifest themselves, so some people may be having health problems that they attribute to things other than the antibiotics. I think a lot of danger lies with overscheduled and overworked docs too...they aren't as responsive to patients' feedback so patients don't get the follow-up care they need and docs don't comprehend the magnitude of these type of problems. There's also the issue of powerful antibiotics being overused, thus increasing the chances of drug-resistent bacteria proliferating.

One thing I'm very familiar with is the idea of outliers (I was a lab chemist for 13 years), but it doesn't matter what the percentage of something happening is when it happens to you - then it becomes 100%. That's the nature of subjectivity. Individuals have their health destroyed by prescription drugs, surgery, tooth extractions, gas line explosions, faulty wiring, etc.... And sure, society is set up on cost/benefit decisions: food safety, road design and traffic safety, environmental regulations, ways of waging war...the fact that these systems aren't "perfect" as far as human cost goes is built into the design, so some people will be harmed even if things go as well as possible for the general population. But there is always the possiblity of making these systems better (and less corrupted by greed/power/complacency), as well as the possibility of improvements causing unforeseen blowback. A good example of blowback, that I touched on in I Am My Own Messiah, is polio, which became a big problem in the late 19th century as a result of improved public sanitation. Sewers and clean drinking water were great but they removed people's natural immunity to the virus. Obviously the polio outbreak led to the incredible drive for the vaccine and it's eventual production, but there were also incidents where children died after receiving bad batches of early vaccine.

I wanted to address the idea of being an outlier in I Am My Own Messiah, and I really, really wanted to do it with with samples from Ittidra by Iannis Xenakis, but it was just too much for me. The plan was to analyze the score to identify like sections and outliers - Ittidra is basically one chord blast after another, all permutations of 4-8 different sets of notes. Ittidra is a cool piece too because it's relatively simple for Xenakis and uncharacteristically emotional, probably because he composed it late in his life when he was very ill.

AndrewSamson is offline Senior E6er
      I am:
      I'm Where?

Follow AndrewSamson On Twitter Add AndrewSamson on Facebook

I just managed to get back on the Townhall. (yay!) Jim, thanks again for that Von Hemmling CD you sent. How are you doing?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast