• Yeehaw
  • Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Tea Thread

Abel is offline Senior E6er
      I am:
      Crappy

Default The Tea Thread

Quote Originally Posted by nesey View Post
      i drink loose and bagged. mostly loose if possible. i usually start out with black tea. really "robust" ones, you know. through the day ill switch to more "flowery, fruity" black teas. theres a company in france.. kousmichoff .."kusmi tea" that i love. they started in st petersburg russia. they make a variety of teas that are sort of variants on earl grey but with bits of rose or lemon or orange, almond, etc.
      Quote Originally Posted by nesey View Post
      anastasia and st petersburg are my favorites. theyre all good though. (prince vladimir, troika, petrushka, zoubrovka, etc)
      I bought some "St. Petersbourg" because that sounded the most enjoyable to me. The taste seems to me like a very straightforward black tea (a strong, delicious black tea), which is strange because at the same time, it's one of the most aromatic teas I've had. The scent upon just opening the package is really strong, and pouring hot water over it pretty much scents the whole room. So yeah, both the smell and taste are really pleasing, but in completely different ways.

Also Zabar's is pretty good, I would go back. I bought some fancy-ass strozzapreti (Italian for "priest choker") pasta there and had a delicious dinner.

ufoinkushiro is offline Senior E6er
      I am:
      Bookworm

yorkshire tea, brewed by taylors of harrogate in yorkshire, england. a nice rich blend. i drink it every day.

http://www.taylorsofharrogate.co.uk/OurTeas.asp

twinings earl grey is also very nice.

I am:
      Crappy

Quote Originally Posted by ufoinkushiro View Post
      twinings earl grey is also very nice.
      Yeah, that's my favorite from Twinings.

nesey is offline Senior E6er
      I am:
      Sleepy

my morning teas for the past couple years have been taylors of harrogate. the english breakfast or scottish breakfast or the earl grey. theyre good. havent been able to stomach twinings since around 06. bigelow and twinings had their packaging change around 05/06 and suddenly tasted completely awful. it wasnt psychological. i found an old box and the tea was much better. (maybe twinings is still good in england?) i believe twinings tea comes from north carolina now for us in the states.

do you use much sugar? because the kusmi teas (st petersburg for example) are quite changed when sugar is used liberally.

I am:
      Crappy

I haven't tried much from Twinings, but I currently have the Earl Grey and Pure White Tea (I think that's Twinings, anyway) which is kind of bland. I don't have a problem with the Earl Grey, although I can imagine much better.

No, I haven't tried using sugar with the St. Petersburg tea yet. I usually don't sweeten tea (or add milk), but if I do sweeten it I will usually use honey. Do you recommend sugar, or is the change a negative one? I suppose I'll try it out at some point anyway.

one-headedboy is offline Senior E6er
      I am:
      Breezy

I've never really had tea (once or twice). What do you recommend? Where should I start? there's so many teas I don't want to waste my money on some shitty kind.
      Are you sad about your mountain? ̹̫̰̪̰̝̭̒̌ͫ̈ ̖̱̩̟̣̝͖̯̱͋̂̈́̅͟͝d̬͍̍ͬ̆ͮ̂̀͡͞ ̈́͂̌̉͏̶̟͔̹̫̳t̥̮͖͌ͭͦ̂ͩͨ́̐͝͞?̵̧͈̹̫̰̪̰̝̭̒̌ͫ̈ ̖̱̩̟̣̝͖̯̱͋̂̈́̅͟͝d̬͍̍ͬ̆ͮ̂̀͡͞ ̈́͂̌̉͏̶̟͔̹̫̳☻͉̪̾͌̇̉̋̍ͬ̏͆͆͒̄̀|͖̲͇̰̀ͬ̈́̃̂̅͆̌̎̈́͒ ̎͗̈͌ ͊͒ͧ͢͢|̢͌̿ͮͨ̂̓̇Was this a continent you liked?,
      Quote Originally Posted by Gotham View Post
      At the concert I saw he just said, "All I wanna say is, Sonic the Hedgehog. Just Once. Sonic the Hedgehog. Okay, Twice."
      ?̵̧͈̹̫̰̪̰̝̭̒̌ͫ̈ ̖̱̩̟̣̝͖̯̱͋̂̈́̅͟͝d̬͍̍ͬ̆ͮ̂̀͡͞ ̈́͂̌̉͏̶̟͔̹̫̳ |͆̆ͯ̓͐ͮ͛̀͊͗ͮ̈́̔̌͗|̡̉̈ͪ́͘

You had me at Helvetica.

I am:
      Crappy

Depends what you want to get out of tea. Something relaxing/enjoyable? Try green/white/floral/fruity tea. Something strong and caffeinated? Try black tea. Something spicy? Try various kinds of black or rooibos. I/we could probably narrow it down a bit more if you give some preferences.

It's tough to get into tea for the reason you said: there are so many options. Basically you just have to keep trying stuff until you find things you like. Sometimes you'll find sample packs in the store or online that give you a small assortment so that you can try things out. It's also a big help knowing people who drink tea and having it with them.

Jason7382 is offline Senior E6er
      I am:
      Happy!

My local tea supplier is a place called the Zen Tea House.

http://www.zenteahouse.org/Home_Page.html

These are the best teas I have ever had. The Earl Grey de la Creme is lovely as is the Blanc de Cassis.

nesey is offline Senior E6er
      I am:
      Sleepy

about st petersburg & sugar: yes i use sugar. depending on the kindof tea i might not or i might use a good bit. typically the kusmi teas are amazing with a good bit of sugar in them. it really opens up strange dimensions of lovely flavors. i dont use honey because im vegan. (that is to say i dont like to steal someone elses poetry. the substance composed within them from their flowery wanderings and vomited back into reality to nourish and sustain them. it is poetry, travel diaries, and magnificent sustenance! that is what i mean to say when i say "because im vegan") it hurts my throat too when i accidentally consume it. theres a nice fake honey made mostly from brown rice syrup that i like in certain kinds of tea. ive just found that most alternative sweeteners, vegan or not, impart too much of their own taste to something. sugar can be rather transparent so i prefer it. but it is entirely up to taste. i like sweetening some things with maple syrup but i dont want everything to have a mapley taste all the time.

I am:
      Crappy

Yeah, I know what you're saying about honey imparting too much of its own taste. If I cared a lot more, I would probably have several kinds of honey to match certain kinds of tea, but as it stands I have only one and I don't think it would go with a black tea. I knew you didn't use honey so I wasn't sure about mentioning it, but I definitely agree that sugar has less of an obnoxious personality than any kind of honey. Sadly, I don't think I have any white sugar in my house.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast