• Twisted
  • Vilified
  • Volatile
  • Wasted
  • Wicked
  • Woot!
  • Worried
  • Yeehaw
  • Poll: Which format do you prefer for your free album download?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
      Birds...The silent killer is offline Senior E6er
      I am:
      None

Quote Originally Posted by rogersbowne View Post
      You know what's hard too, Math. Maybe we shouldn't bother teaching it schools. No reason for anyone to bother learning anything new. FLAC is lossless which is how you should want to hear music. Thanks
      I don't know 'bout you but i'll be listening to my vinyl at home and my digital files on my mp3 player. I'm gonna end up converting them if they are not in MP3 form. Plus, people are just going to get frustrated that they can't play his or her music. How do you suppose the masses are taught what to do with FLAC? There is a reason MP3 is the leading format. It's what people know.
      FLAC is great but pretty much pointless to me. I have my vinyls for best quality and MP3 for convenience. If we can't get two options, then MP3 should be the format.
      Who knew that there would actually be a hell, and that it would be in New Jersey?

DaJe is offline Senior E6er
      I am:
      Happy!

Well FLAC can be offered, and the people who know what they're doing who want it can simply convert it to MP3 if they need to. They can't convert from MP3 to FLAC if they want though, because it wouldn't sound the same. Of course, everyone knows MP3, and it's compatible with everyone, which is why MP3 should be an option. But I still think there should be a FLAC option alongside it. That's what other places seem to do, they offer both.

Julie is offline Senior E6er
      I am:
      Happy!

Quote Originally Posted by rogersbowne View Post
      You know what's hard too, Math. Maybe we shouldn't bother teaching it schools. No reason for anyone to bother learning anything new. FLAC is lossless which is how you should want to hear music. Thanks
      I love FLAC. I'm probably going to crash my family's computer, because I download all of my albums with "Apple Lossless Encoder".
      Quote Originally Posted by Thosedamnbuckets View Post
      granted we're older but still it's a fucking orgy in a plane.

Move the Sky is offline E6er
      I am:
      Happy!

An enchanted iceberg recently seperated from the Antarctic motherland.

Circulatory System deserves no less than FLAC.
      Wa halla loo lay. Wa halla loo lah. Keeny wok a poo lah.

ufoinkushiro is offline Senior E6er
      I am:
      Bookworm

fuck digital files.

aaron! is offline Senior E6er
      I am:
      I'm Where?

i agree....vinyl is where its at

Dihnekis is offline Senior E6er
      I am:
      Angry

I'd be willing to bet that at some point in the process, this album was mixed or edited on a digital device. If it is 100% analog, I'd be shocked. Really happy, but shocked.

What that means, is that the vinyl is going to sound pretty much as good as the cd, if not worse.

For example, all the of Montreal albums released recently are recorded/edited digitally, which means if you buy the vinyl version at best it was pressed from 24/96 copies of the files, giving it a tiny bit more resolution that is arguably unnoticeable. More likely, it is from the 16/44 files that are put on the cd, meaning there is pretty much no way a vinyl copy of any of of Montreal's newer albums are going to sound as good as the digital one. With the CD you are getting a pristine copy of the digital files, with the vinyl you are getting those same digital files pressed onto an ancient format with all of its shortcomings (and there are a great many).

Digital music pressed to vinyl sounds worse than digital music through a CD player. Analog music pressed to vinyl sounds better than any kind of digital music. But if any of the editing was done in a digital situation (in other words the tracks maybe were recorded on 8/16 track then bounced to DAT or imported into a computer for editing), you lose all the benefits of an entirely analog recording.

All of this said, I have a far better vinyl playback setup than I do digital playback setup, so I prefer vinyl in almost every situation, and that may be the case for others too. If I had a really nice CD player or Digital to Analog Converter, I'd probably prefer the CD version of most of the recent albums being issued on vinyl. Vinyl is just fucking cool though, and old pressings before any kind of digital music will always sound better than their recent CD/vinyl digital remaster/reissues.

I ordered the deluxe vinyl edition by the way. I'm just being realistic.

I am:
      Bookworm

sure there are lots of tech explanations, of which i have sat down and studied too, i know all that stuff about bit rates and sample rates, i'm an electronic student anyway. but at the end of the day, vinyl just sounds great and is more fun than CD and computer files, im sure most will agree,

Abel is offline Senior E6er
      I am:
      Crappy

Nobody's arguing against you here, the people getting digital files are the ones who ordered the vinyl.

I am:
      Bookworm

i realise this, just thought i'd say like.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast