PDA

View Full Version : Frank Zappa

nice man washing
05-07-2007, 08:29 PM
Has anyone ever heard any similarities between CS and Frank Zappa? I'm listening to the Uncle Meat album right now and there are lots of elements that remind me of CS and OTC, like the collages and the use of wind instruments to trace out melodies.

Any Zappa heads out there?

greenglassyeux
05-07-2007, 09:58 PM
i've got a friend who's been saying for a while she would make me a zappa mix, but i haven't gotten it yet.

Shameless
05-07-2007, 10:14 PM
I need to scope out more Zappa.

Recently I realized that certain Donovan songs give me outrageous Circulatory System/OTC vibes. Wear Your Love Like Heaven actually sounds like Will Hart and Bill Doss singing together. If it were at half speed it would completely fool me.

uncle eggma
05-08-2007, 01:27 PM
huge zappa fan! uncle meat is one of my favorite, along with freak out, absolutely free, we're only in it for the money (my personal favorite), and the insane lumpy gravy (very abstract). also check out the fusion period: hot rats, waka/jawaka, and the grand wazoo.

emanresu
05-08-2007, 07:42 PM
A lot of Zappa's sound collages reminded me of OTC and Black Swan Network.

Also, if you've never seen him on Crossfire, you have to watch this. It's 21 minutes long but it's absolutely amazing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ISil7IHzxc

memestein
05-09-2007, 01:07 AM
zappa's all about doin his sister

nice man washing
05-10-2007, 01:28 AM
I've got Freak Out!, Uncle Meat and Hot Rats, all of which are really good in different ways.

dwightp
05-10-2007, 07:08 AM
I think I might have more then 3/4s of their 12" releases. All gorgeous an groovy as hell.

Also, if you've never seen him on Crossfire, you have to watch this. It's 21 minutes long but it's absolutely amazing:

The first awesome episode of Crossfire, before Jon Stewart appeared. Go Frank!

[Edited on 5-10-0707 by dwightp]

blasticpubble
05-10-2007, 09:45 AM
Circulatory System's "The Pillow" has always reminded me of some Zappa thing I can't put my finger on. I'm referring to the melody at the beginning of "The Pillow" that runs through it. It sounds like a note-for-note quotation of something from either Freak Out, Absolutely Free, or We're Only in it For the Money (probably one of the last two mentioned).

I know Will is a fan of early Zappa stuff. On the day in 2000 or 2001 that the Grandmothers (now old members of the Mothers of Invention, kind of clever) played in Athens, I ran into Will Hart and asked if he was going. He wasn't but made some mention that he thought/hoped they would play some Uncle Meat stuff. I've never heard that album, but had thought about checking it out based somewhat on what seemed to be Mr. Hart's recommendation.

uncle eggma
05-10-2007, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by blasticpubble
Circulatory System's "The Pillow" has always reminded me of some Zappa thing I can't put my finger on. I'm referring to the melody at the beginning of "The Pillow" that runs through it. It sounds like a note-for-note quotation of something from either Freak Out, Absolutely Free, or We're Only in it For the Money (probably one of the last two mentioned).

I know Will is a fan of early Zappa stuff. On the day in 2000 or 2001 that the Grandmothers (now old members of the Mothers of Invention, kind of clever) played in Athens, I ran into Will Hart and asked if he was going. He wasn't but made some mention that he thought/hoped they would play some Uncle Meat stuff. I've never heard that album, but had thought about checking it out based somewhat on what seemed to be Mr. Hart's recommendation.

you should, it's one of the best of the original mother's albums.

breathmint
05-10-2007, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by emanresu
A lot of Zappa's sound collages reminded me of OTC and Black Swan Network.

you really made my fucking week... huge fan but i've never seen that b4 :]

nice man washing
05-16-2007, 04:53 PM
Has anyone got any of the following, and if so, are they worth getting?

Absolutely Free
We're Only In It For The Money
Burnt Weeny Sandwich
Weasels Ripped My Flesh
Apostrophe
Over-Nite Sensation
Shut Up And Play Yer Guitar

All are on my 'maybe' list of next purchase, and I would appreciate some pointers. Thanks!

Abel
05-18-2007, 12:50 PM
Absolutely Free is my favorite Zappa album.

uncle eggma
05-18-2007, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by nice man washing
Has anyone got any of the following, and if so, are they worth getting?

Absolutely Free
We're Only In It For The Money
Burnt Weeny Sandwich
Weasels Ripped My Flesh
Apostrophe
Over-Nite Sensation
Shut Up And Play Yer Guitar

All are on my 'maybe' list of next purchase, and I would appreciate some pointers. Thanks!

get absolutely free and we're only in it for the money first. then i'd go with weasels ripped my flesh and burnt weeny sandwich (these are mostly instrumental). then over night sensation and apostrophe (they're from the more vulgar tongue in cheek rock period). and honestly, instead of getting shut up and play your guitar i'd get uncle meat it's just as classic as the first 2 i named. hope that helps.

[Edited on 5-18-0707 by uncle eggma]

nice man washing
05-18-2007, 04:52 PM
Great, thanks for the tips!

nice man washing
05-18-2007, 05:02 PM
I love Uncle Meat, but that half-hour of dialogue at the start of disc 2... Who the hell is ever going to sit through that more than once?

uncle eggma
05-20-2007, 03:01 PM
yeah i know what you mean. if those are your feelings then beware of lumpy gravy!

nice man washing
05-23-2007, 02:01 AM
Thanks again. I was thinking about getting Lumpy Gravy, but I think I'll save my pennies for a different album, perhaps Chunga's Revenge or The Grand Wazoo.

uncle eggma
05-23-2007, 10:34 AM
hot rats, waka/jawaka, and the grand wazoo are sort of a trilogy of jazz fusion style releases. zappa recorded those after some "fan" thought it would be funny to push him off the stage at a show thus putting him in a wheelchair for about a year i think. great stuff though!

nice man washing
05-25-2007, 06:02 AM
Yeah, I read that. Left him with one leg shorter than the other and dropped his voice by an octave...

I love Hot Rats and Waka/Jawaka. Beautiful stuff.

I've heard that the Sleep Dirt album was originally supposed to be called Hot Rats III, so maybe that's from that era too. Plus, Chunga's Revenge is supposed to have some tunes from the Hot Rats sessions.

Then there's a recent release called Imaginary Diseases that's a live recording of the Petit Wazoo band. That sounds great.

So many good releases!

emanresu
05-25-2007, 10:34 AM
Jazz From Hell

!

nice man washing
05-27-2007, 09:56 PM
Joking?! Is that any good? Most of the stuff I've heard from the '80s is horrible...

uncle eggma
05-28-2007, 09:27 AM
yeah, it's not my thing either. but i have friends who really swear by everything (including 80's) zappa. his last few works are stellar though. towards the end of his life he focused more on his "serious", classically inspired music. the yellow shark and civilization phaze III (out of print and incredibly expensive) are both fantastic.

nice man washing
05-29-2007, 03:16 AM
Cool. Picked up a heap of Zappa the other day: Absolutely Free, We're Only In It For The Money, Burnt Weeny Sandwich, The Grand Wazoo, Apostrophe, and One Size Fits All.

Apostrophe is great! Wouldn't want to listen to too much of the song-story stuff, but the way the whole albums segues, and the sense of humour - really entertaining, but without being stupidly smutty or misogynistic like some of the '80s stuff.

carrotus_rex
05-29-2007, 06:07 AM
Apostrophe is great.

FYI there are so many awesome Zappa videos on youtube.

uncle eggma
05-29-2007, 02:58 PM
one size fits all, overnite sensation, apostrophe, you are what you is, and sheik yerbouti are my favorites from the mid-late 70's guitar and lyrics oriented albums.

nice man washing
05-29-2007, 10:23 PM
Cool. I love this thread! Let's take it in another juicy direction: top 5 favourite Zappa songs! Mine are:

1. Peaches En Regalia
2. Cosmik Debris
3. Trouble Every Day
4. Uncle Remus
5. Big Swifty

nice man washing
05-29-2007, 10:26 PM
Well, that's at the moment anyway ;)

Half-Handed
05-31-2007, 11:44 AM
My favourite 5 Zappa songs:

Trouble Every Day
Who Needs The Peace Corps?
Tiny Sick Tears
Broken Hearts Are For Assholes
Honey, Don't You Want A Man Like Me?

nice man washing
06-03-2007, 05:36 AM
Hey Half-Handed, I know the first two (both ace), but where are the other three from?

Half-Handed
06-03-2007, 06:59 AM
I was given a Frank Zappa compilation by my favourite performance poet, AF Harrold - links below:

[myspace] (www.myspace.com/afharrold)

[website] (http://uk.geocities.com/afharrold75/index.html)

Anyway, as a performance poet (who appears, for the time being at least, to be making a living from it), he spends very little time actually working. This has allowed him to pursue his love of Zappa and I suspect he owns pretty much everything Zappa has ever released. Those three tracks, I think, come from various releases of "You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore" and are all superb. One version of "Broken Hearts Are For Assholes" appears on "Sheik Yerbouti". "Tiny Sick Tears" is a hilarious late 60s live performance which takes the piss out of the Doors and only appears on YCDTOSA vol. 4.

nice man washing
06-03-2007, 06:35 PM
I've met AF Harrold! How bizarre... My friend Mark and I saw him in Cheltenham about five years ago. Very funny man.

Cheers for the tips.

Half-Handed
06-04-2007, 01:06 AM
He is funny, isn't he? Was he doing the UK all-comers Poetry Slam, or did you see him at a show?

uncle eggma
06-04-2007, 04:21 PM
my 5 favorite zappa tunes at the moment are (in no particular order):

peaches en regalia
take your clothes off when you dance
brown shoes don't make it
inca roads
eat that question

also, an important (although overlooked) addition to any zappa collection is "king kong: jean luc ponty plays the music of frank zappa" released in '69 on blue note. ponty (mothers, mahavisnu orchestra, solo) played violin on hot rats and here he redoes several tracks , king kong, idiot bastard son and about 3 or 4 more, in the jazz fusion style (thus making it a must for fans of the hot rats period). zappa himself arranged all the songs, played some guitar and contributed a new 20 minute piece for the album. well worth looking in to.

[Edited on 6-4-0707 by uncle eggma]

nice man washing
06-12-2007, 10:26 PM
Half: I saw AF Harrold at the Poetry Slam.

Eggma: Cheers for the King Kong tip. 'Eat That Question' is indeed awesome.

Abel
06-23-2007, 07:26 PM
It turns out that "We're Only In It For The Money" is just as good as "Absolutely Free." I'm enjoying it greatly.

nice man washing
07-04-2007, 11:16 PM
I'd say We're Only In It For The Money pees all over Absolutely Free. I just can't get into Absolutely Free, no matter how hard I try. Out of the dozen Zappa albums I've bought in the last few months, it's the only one I don't play on a regular basis.

thecauseofgauze
07-04-2007, 11:23 PM
i love We're Only In It For The Money ..

".... susie?? ... susie creamcheese?"

"hi everybody, i'm jimmy carl black and i'm the indian of the group!"

"cooooncentraaaaaation mooooon.... "

so many more where that came from... ahhhh....

VIVA LA ZAPPA!!!!!!!!!!

nice man washing
07-05-2007, 08:11 PM
Anyone got Cruising With Reuben And The Jets? I've been listening to Burnt Weeny Sandwich a lot lately, and I really like the doo-wop tracks on it. Made me think I might dig Cruising...

Abel
07-07-2007, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by thecauseofgauze".... susie?? ... susie creamcheese?"Yeah, I love the connections to Absolutely Free. Suzy Creamcheese, oh baby, now, what's got into you?

uncle eggma
07-07-2007, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by nice man washing
Anyone got Cruising With Reuben And The Jets? I've been listening to Burnt Weeny Sandwich a lot lately, and I really like the doo-wop tracks on it. Made me think I might dig Cruising...

here's the deal with rueben... it's a really good album, BUT sometime in the late 80's zappa had extra bass and other modern production techniques put on it which is distracting. sadly that's the only version that can be readily found. but still it's a fun record regardless. i say go for it.

[Edited on 7-7-0707 by uncle eggma]

nice man washing
07-08-2007, 05:12 PM
I read that about the modern overdubs - bummer! But the fact that it's a fun record sways me.

Thanks again Uncle Eggma for your encyclopedic Zappa knowledge!

Ray Baltimore
03-19-2014, 02:32 PM
bumping this thread for a moment, important Zappa message:

ROXY BY PROXY HAS BEEN RELEASED !

I'm torrenting the shit out of it now.

(if you are a Zappa fan, this is the soundtrack CD to the future Roxy movie which will be released [?])

nice man washing
03-30-2014, 08:26 PM
Awesome! Thanks for letting us know.

bumping this thread for a moment, important Zappa message:

ROXY BY PROXY HAS BEEN RELEASED !

I'm torrenting the shit out of it now.

(if you are a Zappa fan, this is the soundtrack CD to the future Roxy movie which will be released [?])