PDA

View Full Version : Gnarls

blasticpubble
12-28-2006, 10:34 PM
Hey.

I just recently obtained and began absorbing Gnarls Barkley's "St. Elsewhere."

Within the first few seconds of the track "Just a Thought," I noticed similarities to the sound of the Circulatory System.

On one hand, I'm not saying that I think GB is ripping off CS in any way; on the other, I'm not saying that all minor chord psychedelia sounds the same to me. There is a similar vibe, and it sounds like the influence of John F's parts for the CS. In SPIN, Danger Mouse talked about how John introduced him to a lot of new music and broadened his horizons when they were working together at Wuxtry Records in Athens. Perhaps this a sort of tipping of the hat.

Discuss.

happymike
12-29-2006, 01:18 AM
i'm sure john played a ton of stuff dangermouse had never heard while they worked together. john rarely plays stuff twice in the store it seems, and he's always looking for new music, and from all over, the other day he was spinning buck owens, judy garland, turkish psychadelic comp, some jazz guy i'd never heard of, and an old obscure r&b reissue. he's tastes are all over the map, but the stuff he orders in the store is really what helps set the store apart from other stores. i'd say i've only heard about 1/4 of the stuff he plays in the store. you just never know what he is going to be blaring through the speakers. mike