PDA

View Full Version : I just got the self titled album and the distance between

raydavies02
09-30-2003, 08:33 PM
and they are fan-friggin-tastic.....i had been very interested in the band due to the late bp helium and of montreal connection, but i must say that i was floored by these two albums. i found them used at this crappy record store in my town...it was like i had found the holy grail or something.....

my favorite tracks-

from the self titled:

storming
a little touched
giants and tigers
posters for the theatre
(though the entire album is just fantastic)

from the distance between:

This is my favorite of the two albums....every single track is amazing

my absolute favorites:

sister city
ever so over
some of shelley's blues (mike nesmith!!!!)
this will be our year (the zombies!!!!!!)

so i am now a fan of the great lakes. those two albums just make me so happy.......

dolemites_sister
10-01-2003, 03:02 AM
We told you so!!!!!

:)

raydavies02
10-01-2003, 08:57 AM
i forgot to add "conquistadors" as one of my favorites off of "the distance between". i played it on my radio show this morning and i seriously got about 6 or 7 calls with each person saying "oh my god, who is this? this is awesome!" it just made me so happy to be spreading the great lakes gospel

raydavies02
10-01-2003, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by GrossDaddy57
Forgive me if you mentioned this else where but what is the name of you radio show? In college I was part of two radio shows for a short time. They were: The Monday Night Fruitbasket Upset Show, and The Wednesday Night Humpday Show. We were on at 6-8pm. It was kind of a joke station, we were broadcasting with a one-watt amp (barley five mile radius) under a pending license. My friend and I still performed with professionalism. For example, we had a steady programmed set. My friend ran the boards the first half of the show, I ran the second half. The middle transformation was a segment known as Deep Dave (air name) Drops Dead. I would play one Grateful Dead song to kick off my half. We reported to CMJ, pushed adds for bands that sent us stuff, took phone requests, hosted contests, and all the other fun stuff. I loved the experience, and it is cool that you are into that sort of thing.

I better start making this post relate to the thread. My first experience with Great Lakes (along with most of the music I listen to today) was through those shows. I only own a copy of the S/T album. My favorites from there are Stormy, An Easy Life, A Banana, and Giants and Tigers. I have heard select tracks off of The Distance Between. Obviously Sister City and This Will Be Our Year are Great. I heard both songs live at there Chicago show back in June. They are really a Good Time band.

Fare thee well,

DRG

the name of my show is "the modern world". my theme song is "the modern world" by the jam. i play a very eclectic mix of proto-punk/sunshine pop/elephant 6/post punk/baroque pop/krautrock/current "good" indie rock bands (the shins, belle and sebastian, starlight mints, etc.)/freakbeat/obscuro/british invasion

its just about the only non techno show on our station.......

[Edited on 10-1-2003 by raydavies02]

henrikhhh
10-01-2003, 03:04 PM
the selftitled =
http://www.e6townhall.com/images/smilies/thumbup.gif

henrikhhh
10-01-2003, 03:04 PM
the selftitled =
http://www.e6townhall.com/images/smilies/thumbup.gif

el topo
10-01-2003, 05:08 PM
They're both great, I just wish The Distance Between was longer!

call me hi
04-16-2005, 11:18 AM
wow, i just picked up their first one the other day and am very much blown away. licking my damn chops at the thought of a new album.

Harnk
04-16-2005, 11:34 AM
I don't really care for the debut..but I really enjoy Distance Between

call me hi
04-16-2005, 11:49 AM
i like the s/t because it sounds a little more cohesive. there aren't as many stand out tracks but there are little parts hidden in there that i didn't notice the first time which excited me to no end