PDA

View Full Version : What is the ESSENTIAL Elf Power Album?

el topo
07-27-2006, 07:31 AM
What is the ESSENTIAL Elf Power album? Not the best album necessarily, or your favorite, but the one that everyone who wants to understand the band really ought to hear?

Poll results will be taken into strong consideration for an upcoming feature at OpticalAtlas.com, "The Essential Elephant 6 Albums."

Coquelicot
07-31-2006, 04:46 PM
One of the easiest "essential" contests there is. Dream In Sound without a doubt. The only one that comes close is Red King.

brianjeremy
07-31-2006, 08:55 PM
I picked when the Red King Comes, although A Dream in Sound is so very close. I got them both at the same time, so a tough pick for sure.

gardenfuck
08-01-2006, 10:49 AM
Red King Comes...easily.

Actually, I think Dream in Sound is too Olivia Tremor Control influenced. Don't get me wrong, there are classic songs on that record, but I think Winter is Coming is a better second choice.

Beggar Boys is damn good too. I'm gonna listen to it right now!

Coquelicot
08-01-2006, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by gardenfuck
Red King Comes...easily.

Actually, I think Dream in Sound is too Olivia Tremor Control influenced. Don't get me wrong, there are classic songs on that record, but I think Winter is Coming is a better second choice.

Beggar Boys is damn good too. I'm gonna listen to it right now!

I won't disagree that there are some similarities to OTC, but perhaps not necessarily because they're being derivative. Plenty of Athens bands used random cut/paste sound collage-esque stuff. I would contend that both Red King and Dream are significantly above Winter Is Coming though, that record has kind of a weak second half in my opinion.

gardenfuck
08-02-2006, 10:22 AM
No, I'm not referring to the collage stuff. The title track of Dream in Sound sounds like an OTC outtake.

I really dig Winter is Coming. From start to finish.

acrobat
08-05-2006, 04:26 PM
Red King

typewriters
08-08-2006, 06:27 PM
in order:

red king
dream in sound
winter is coming
back to the web
phantom limbs
creatures
beggar boys

nothings going to happen shouldnt even be an option, considering its all cover songs

FrostedAmbassador
10-22-2006, 03:48 PM
When The Red King Comes seeing as it was the first Elf Power I heard.