PDA

View Full Version : what should i get?

typewriters
09-22-2003, 09:01 PM
whats the best great lakes lp or 7". im gonna go buy some stuff, but i want peoples opinions first.

dolemites_sister
09-23-2003, 03:56 AM
I like the first one the best.. I believe its self titled.. It has a picture of a burning building on the cover... (I'm so terrible.. I love this album so much yet I don't know the name)

The Distance Between is great too.. I personally think you can't go wrong with either one, but my favorite is the first one.. It stays in the rotation more often..
j

Apples and Oranges
09-23-2003, 06:25 AM
The first Great Lakes LP is definitely the better of the two, although you should also get the 'Conquistadors' and ' Sister City' single which is class. Both songs feature on 'The Distance Between' which is also very good, but I'd say the first one wins my vote...

Incidentally, the UK artwork features the same burning building picture as the US version - but with different colours. It also came out in August 2001 to coincide with their UK tour, at least that's where I bought it.

dolemites_sister
09-24-2003, 12:57 AM
Interesting.. I didn't realize they had to change the artwork.. What does the new artwork look like now?

j

Track & Field
09-24-2003, 08:11 AM
Changing the artwork or tracklisting for a different territory seems to be relatively common.

The artwork for the first Great Lakes LP was changed because Ben and Dan wanted to do something slightly different. No other reason. So... the UK version has a card insert rather than a booklet and uses green and blue instead of red, orange and yellow.

However, there was a mistake at the presing plant and some copies went into the shops with the card the wrong way round. But that wasn't done because of Sept 11th... it's was just a balls up and we decided to leave it...

If you want to see the UK artwork then it's on the catalogue page at www.trackandfield.org.uk - roll the cursor over the image and you can see the front and back.

The one record we did change because of Sept 11th was the I am The World (Trade Center) 'Look Around You' seven inch... This was due in the shops during Oct 2001 as I am The World Trade Center. But we reprinted the sleeves and renamed them IATW for the UK as some shops threatened not to stock it... I've still got about 900 of the original sleeves under the bed!!

The other releases we've done that are different to the US versions are the Dressy Bessy 'Little Music' LP/CD - ours has the 'California' EP added to it. And 'The Long Goodbye' by the Essex Green has a hidden extra track at the beginning of the disc.

Dunno if that's useful/interesting. But there you go :-)

Best,
Steven

Freek
09-25-2003, 01:37 PM
that extra essex green track is news for me!! what is it called?

Track & Field
09-26-2003, 05:49 AM
the extra track is a reprise of boo hoo boy. if you start the cd at track one and then press the reverse button on yr cd player it should play it. it's lasts about 50 seconds...

it's really nice. to me it sounds like it's the song being played through a 1950s wireless...

-steven