PDA

View Full Version : How do they do it?

nice man washing
07-20-2005, 06:02 PM
How on earth do Circulatory System create such a glorious sound? Reason I ask is that my band went into the studio on Monday to record a demo and the result was such a disappointment.

hypecity
07-20-2005, 06:09 PM
http://www.blacktable.com/images/0412pics/jesus/28000.jpg

[Edited on 3-22-0606 by hypecity]

soniclovenoize
07-21-2005, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by nice man washing
How on earth do Circulatory System create such a glorious sound? Reason I ask is that my band went into the studio on Monday to record a demo and the result was such a disappointment.

A lot of home recordings, tape manipulation, layering upon layering, multi-instrumentalism...

What's yer demo sound like?

hypecity
07-22-2005, 08:29 AM
http://www.blacktable.com/images/0412pics/jesus/28000.jpg

[Edited on 3-22-0606 by hypecity]

braintostem
07-22-2005, 08:47 AM
through production tricks you can achieve a wonderful sound. will's production has been described as a "phil spectre wall of sound" which is kinda true. but way cooler. if you listen to s/t through headphones (esp with thc) you will be flabbergasted. using layering techniques along with various effects given to specific channels, thats what i think he does. but thats just my opinion. i have tried to achieve the depth and strength that he/they do.

thepfef
07-22-2005, 09:19 AM
I remember the first time my girlfriend played me "Hideaway" by OTC in headphones (which was the FIRST E6 song I'd ever heard!). The layers keep building and transforming and building and evolving. Simply beautiful.

E6NeverComesToLancaster
07-22-2005, 11:38 AM
yeah right the first time i head holiday surprise 123 in headphones i was completely blown away

imota
07-24-2005, 08:25 PM
gradation of sound just like gradation of colours.

NoHarshChemicals
07-24-2005, 08:40 PM
its so damn hard to record. it never comes out the way you want it to. it cost too much money to do it right. the process never ends. it can always get better. even songs that are finalized tickle your ear at night and ask you to re-equalized it for the ninetieth time. sigh.

nice man washing
07-24-2005, 11:31 PM
I hear you NoHarshChemicals. We're going back into the studio at the weekend to mix down, and we've got pages and pages of notes of how to try and improve the sound. It's a massive learning curve!

BigBlackSmoke
07-25-2005, 11:13 AM
just get a four track. no joke. i love mine, and its not like the recording quality sucks or anything

nice man washing
08-01-2005, 11:16 PM
The difficult thing for my band is that we record our weekly practice sessions using a MiniDisc recorder and a little condenser mic, and it captures a nice, rich 'live' sound. As soon as we got into the studio, with everyone wearing headphones and all the instruments separated, it all started to sound a little thin. We had to record a lot of overdubs to make it sound like the 'live' recordings, which is pretty funny.

Jamie Lidell reckons it's the spill between mics that creates the nice vibe of classic recordings like Motown. I'd be inclined to agree.

[Edited on 4-8-2005 by nice man washing]