PDA

View Full Version : Hello, I am Jill of Thimble Circus...

Jill
07-14-2003, 10:03 AM
Hello good people:

What's everyone doing for Summer fun? I've been swimming alot and painting and working on some new songs. Going on walks and hanging out with some friends. I saw Marshmallow Coast this past Friday night. A wonderful show. Sara is playing flute with Andy and they sound great.

Okay, I'm off to help some friends with a building project.

Good day to all...

Jill

kurisu
07-14-2003, 12:52 PM
where do you swim? i keep hearing a lot about the quarry, but i don't know where it is. any tips for swimming for those of us in athens that are not fortunate enough to have pools?

marshmallow coast rules! that was a great show!

Jill
07-14-2003, 02:54 PM
I swim at the YMCA. It's a great pool which is partly cleaned by saline and party chlorine. Not too harsh on the hair and skin. It's only $75 per quarter. Not too bad, really. Nice for Summer season, if nothing else.

[Edited on 7-19-2003 by Jill]

dolemites_sister
07-15-2003, 04:29 AM
I have also been doing a lot of swimming.. We don't have a lot of money, so pretty much its been swimming or nothing.

I also recently just acquired guinea pigs. They are so much fun!

ladylamentingonalawnchair
07-15-2003, 10:15 AM
I've been biking a lot, writing a story, helping out with a new farmers market, and going camping when I can. I just got back from the headwaters of the Mississippi--I waded across the river!
What are your guinea pigs named, Jen?

pepe
07-15-2003, 10:27 AM
I've basically been going to school, reading, recording on my new 8 track, and soon will be going out east on a vacation. Can anyone suggest any cheap nice hostels in NYC.

Hey lady lamenting from Minneapolis, right? Are you going to go to the Rilo Kiley show next sunday (20th) or the Grandaddy show on the 31st?

dolemites_sister
07-15-2003, 07:10 PM
My two guinea pigs names are Penelope and Mary Lou....

I sing to them all the time! :)

07-16-2003, 07:18 AM
Pepe--I was thinking of going to the Rilo Kiley show. It's at the 400, right? Are those the dates of your excursions into the big city?

pepe
07-16-2003, 10:43 AM
Yes 400 bar is correct. When you say dates for excursions into the big city do you mean NYC, because I am planning on being there around August 7-10 or so. As far as my trips into Minneapolis those are the only dates I have for now, but if something else is going on I would love to know about it. I am a very whimsical person and have been know to change my plans at a rapid pace when desired.
Oh yeah and by chance did you go to the Capitol Years show? I really wanted to go, but did not get a chance.

07-16-2003, 02:10 PM
Well, by 'the big city' I meant Mpls. I didn't see the Capitol Years show, no. It's a poppy summer over here: Fountains of Wayne on Fri, the Lucksmiths next Th (file under: where to find me next week).

And! if you, or any other friendly townhaller would like a cool thing to do in Minneapolis, Minnesota, on Wednesday, August 27, 2003, my craft group is putting on a fashion show of a garment exchange we're doing with a group in Seattle; we traded clothes and ripped them up and remade them in various ways and we're going to have a runway show and photography and music of some sort and lots of hipsters and crafty people co-existing. It'll be at the Soo Gallery on Lyndale and 27th. I promise pancakes to anyone who comes. Plan ahead!

07-16-2003, 02:15 PM
Jill, tell us more about the M. Coast show you saw! I'm excited to hear (about) Andy's new stuff.
And what is it you're building? A birdhouse? A treehouse? A strawbale museum?

Jill
07-16-2003, 09:13 PM
Hello ladylamentingonalawnchair,

Jill here and I have been helping my friends around the corner from my house, with getting their new home ready to move into. It's been fun. Loads to painting and sweeping to do. Just helping when I am able to do so.

I am getting some painting done on Canvas. That's alot of fun too.

Thanks for asking...

pepe
07-17-2003, 09:41 AM
I haven't heard much of Fountains of Wayne, but what I heard I liked. I don't really care for the Lucksmiths that much, so I won't make it to that show, however your craft show sounds great! My ladyfriend and our roomate would love that kind of show, both avid clothes crafters. I would love to hear more bout it if you feel compelled, like how did you come up with this idea, are the people from Seattle friends of yours and so on.

On a different note, Jill I would love to hear some of your music, but at the moment I have no money to spend on cds, because the little money I do have is spent on a wedding for my friend and a vacation to check out the east coast for possible moving, but when I get the chance I will purchase or give a listen to it somehow.

Oh yeah Ladylamenting, my friends have a show at the Rogue gallery in October sometime. They are a painting and print making collective called the Burining Artists and I assure you that the opening will be a constant reminder that your nerves and adrenaline are an active part of the body, at least their openings remind me of that. I will let you know more when I know more.

Jill my ladyfriend is applying for grad school at the University of Georgia in Athens for painting, I assume that is where you live. Did you study there at all? Have any opinions of the school.

Jill
07-18-2003, 08:28 AM
Hello Pepe,

Jill here. You wrote this to me:

Jill my ladyfriend is applying for grad school at the University of Georgia in Athens for painting, I assume that is where you live. Did you study there at all? Have any opinions of the school.

I didn't study art at UGA, however many of my friends have. I studied art at a fine arts high school. I've lived in Athens for nearly twenty years now. So, I've know plenty of UGA art students over the years. Many different mediums (sculpture, painting, drawing, film and so on...) I think it depends on the individual and how they embrace the school and what it has to offer.

Your friend should come visit Athens and see for herself. Perhaps, that will tell her more than I.

Good luck and thanks for writing.

Jill

[Edited on 7-18-2003 by Jill]

07-18-2003, 09:14 AM
Half-Handed--I do appreciate how lucky I am; I used to live in the country. I'm highly pleased I've finally moved somewhere people tour to (except in the winter). I can burn you a copy of the new F of W record if you'd like (they're on Atlantic, so I've got no qualms).

As for the craft show, a friend recruited me for this craft group this spring (it's existed for a few years) knowing that I crochet and make things. It's fifteen or so people of various genders who do various things: embroidery, clothing-making, sculptural crochet, weaving, screenprinting, dyeing, etc, etc, and we get together once a month to work on projects together or have workshops or just be social while making things. This exchange we're doing is with another craft group of the same sort in Seattle; the coordinator of our group knows the people in their group through some arcane processes, I don't know any of the people though, execpt through the things they sent us (I wonder who wore the orange pants?). Pepe, I'll probably see you at the Rilo Kiley show--I'll probably be wearing a black and white striped dress (this being probable since I've worn it every day since I've got it). Ciao!

ethel corn
03-26-2004, 12:41 AM
hi Jill !!!:D