PDA

View Full Version : Simian

nice man washing
07-14-2003, 08:24 AM
Has anyone heard Chemistry is what we are by Simian? My late good friend Dom heard it at work one day and recommended it to me as sounding a bit like Circulatory System. Although it doesn't reach the gorgeous ethereal heights of their genius, it's really bloody good.

[Edited on 14-7-2003 by nice man washing]

channelfan
07-14-2003, 09:40 AM
that album is pretty good. i think i sold my copy though. definately worth checking out. but i think it is nowhere near the circsys. i have not heard the new simian album.

channelfan
07-14-2003, 09:43 AM
[Edited on 7-15-2003 by channelfan]

nice man washing
07-15-2003, 03:57 AM
Agreed - Simian are nowhere near as good as the System. I just felt that the woozy, ethereal atmosphere on some of the songs was evocative of Will and the band.

Re. Sea and Cake - the new album is disappointing. First few songs are gorgeous, and then it really pales.

Best thing I've heard recently is the new Mogwai record - beautiful.

[Edited on 15-7-2003 by nice man washing]

bedbug
07-15-2003, 06:27 AM
I also agree on the new Sea and Cake album. I'm a big fan of the Oui record, but the new one sounds dummied down to me.

nice man washing
07-15-2003, 06:56 AM
Mogwai album is a real grower. The first track is gorgeous and the rest definitely rewards repeated listens. One for sad moods.

bedbug
07-15-2003, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by s
I heard the new album at the record store, it's kinda boring. I don't know why..

For me, they kinda ruined what was special about them by throwing all that electronic stuff in there.

Originally posted by s
There are some favorite instrumental albums of another bands,

The Sleepy Strange by Japancakes is a great instrumental album. And Heather Mac is on it!

pepe
07-15-2003, 09:24 AM
Godspeed You Black Emporer

acrobat
07-15-2003, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by pepe
Godspeed You Black Emporer

I hate to be all nit-picky and crap, but it's Godspeed You! Black Emperor.

ok, back to regularly scheduled programming.

nice man washing
07-16-2003, 02:14 AM
Sorry Half-Handed, but I have to leap to Mogwai's defence here - have you heard much of their stuff? They're not the most pleasant people in interview - in fact they come across as thoroughly despicable, hypocritical, narcissistic brutes - but some of their music is simply sublime. I recommend giving them a chance. Their first CD (a compilation of stuff from vinyl) called Ten Rapid is jawdropping.

nice man washing
07-18-2003, 12:38 AM
OK, now we have some true common ground: a distaste for the Manic Street Preachers! Man they wind me up . . .

Point taken about post-rock. I think my fondness for Mogwai stems, in part, from it being the kind of apocalyptic noise I used to drown myself in when I was getting over my first serious relationship. And I've had a soft spot for the sound ever since . . .

How's life in Reading my friend?

Tim, Stroud

nice man washing
07-21-2003, 04:13 AM
Hi Nathan,

I don't think post-rock has to be challenging or forbidding. In fact, I find the whole 'post-rock' label really negative. I just look at it as instrumental music. There are very few bands of the genre that are really worth bothering with to be honest, but Slint, Tortoise and Mogwai are the best.

I find the breezy/summery side of Elephant 6 really great too! However, I'd rather listen to Circulatory System than Apples in Stereo any day of the week; or the slightly demented summery sound of Of Montreal really does it for me.

Yup - been to Reading a few times for the festival. Has a bit of a Swindon feel to it, but not quite as bad as that. The kind of place that grew up because of the communication routes.

Stroud is near Cirencester - has an industrial history, but in a pretty location at the confluence of five valleys. Kind of hippy too. Nice.

Cheers,

Tim

acrobat
07-21-2003, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by nice man washing

There are very few bands of the genre that are really worth bothering with to be honest, but Slint, Tortoise and Mogwai are the best.

Sorry, but you cannot neglect Don Caballero in this discussion--that would just be wrong. :) They were an amazing band, jaw-droppingly, absurdly talented musicians--and Damon Che is arguably the sickest drummer of the last 15 years.

acrobat
07-21-2003, 10:57 PM
s--

which Tortoise records do you have? Three of their records I think I wonderful (in different ways) and one I think is a bit boring--I'm just wondering which ones you've heard--'cos the band overall makes some great music.

nice man washing
07-22-2003, 04:16 AM
acrobat - what Don Caballero record do you recommend for the beginner? I've just done a quick search and read a couple of reviews, and they sound great. But where to start?

Re. Tortoise, I think Millions . . . is easily their best record: a real beauty from start to finish. TNT is really hit and miss, and Standards, despite having some excellent individual tracks, doesn't really hold together either. But then I'm into the pretty, melancholy side of post-rock.

acrobat
07-22-2003, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by s
I have "Tortoise" , "Millions now~" and "Standards". I like "Standards" the most. Much noisier and weirder a little than other albums. "TNT"(? the jacket with a funny cartoon ghost) is very famous one, I think. No? How about yours? Which one do you like among Tortoise albums? Oh, I wonder if "Standards" jacket design is ripped off Jasper Jones's artwork? Anyone knows about it?

s--I have all the Tortoise LPs, and I think I'd have to say that I think their best record is Millions Now Living Will Never Die--although the one I've listened to the most in the recent past is Standards--I guess you could call them my "co-favorites"--they're so different in style it's hard to compare. But Millions... is probably more "beautiful" than Standards, while Standards (to me anyway) is probably the more "exciting" of the two. Their self-titled record is also very good.

The one you haven't heard, TNT, I find to be pretty boring overall. By no means is the music bad, it just doesn't move me all that much except for a selection of songs--my opinion could of course change later. That was also the first Tortoise record with Jeff Parker, who REALLY started to come into his own in the band on Standards.

acrobat
07-22-2003, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by nice man washing
acrobat - what Don Caballero record do you recommend for the beginner? I've just done a quick search and read a couple of reviews, and they sound great. But where to start?

Re. Tortoise, I think Millions . . . is easily their best record: a real beauty from start to finish. TNT is really hit and miss, and Standards, despite having some excellent individual tracks, doesn't really hold together either. But then I'm into the pretty, melancholy side of post-rock.

hey nice man!

Re: Tortoise--that's so cool, it's easy to see where Millions... would be your favorite considering your liking of the melodic and "subdued" part of post rock :) which I also very much dig--while Standards has some of the adventerous "left-turn" more jazz-like elements of the genre that I love also.

Re: Don Caballero--I've actually only heard two of their full-length records: What Burns Never Returns and American Don. But both records are phenomenal. I really love the music on both, and truly, either would be a good starting point. Perhaps as a general rule though, it might be best to start with late Don Caballero (which these two CDs are) and work backwards, as I've heard that they started out having much more of a metal/hardcore type edge to their brand of instrumental rock (and I tend to not like a whole lot of that type of music), and you having mentioned liking the more "pretty" aspects of the post-rock, it might be nice to start with the later stuff..but I'm sure it's all good--I've heard that their early stuff is great too.

Sorry for the somewhat long-winded response--but two bands I really dig have been brought up :D

later!

perfectbrokenmirror
08-29-2003, 06:18 PM
I listened to TNT some months back and was a bit disappointed. I'll have to check out their other stuff.

c.s.