PDA

View Full Version : Hawk and a Hacksaw Darnkness at Noon

Harnk
02-21-2005, 09:22 AM
A Hawk and a Hacksaw's second album 'Darkness at Noon' will be released on The Leaf Label at the end of March.

Harnk
02-21-2005, 09:27 AM
HAWK AND A HACKSAW NEWS

Jeremy Barnes has just finished work on his second album under the name A Hawk And A Hacksaw. The album will be released worldwide by The Leaf Label in spring 2005.

Featuring contributions from the elusive Jeff Mangum of Neutral Milk Hotel (of whom Mr Barnes was also a member), the album is a mindmelding concoction of silent movie soundtracks, Central European, Middle Eastern, Jewish and even Mexican influences. We can assure you it's unlike anything you might have heard before...

In other news, Mr Barnes will shortly be travelling from his current home in New Mexico to New York to record music for a documentary about Slovenian Marxist-revisionist/popular culture commentator Slavoj Zizek. So now you know

DrinkTeaEatBooks
02-21-2005, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Harnk
the album is a mindmelding concoction of silent movie soundtracks, Central European, Middle Eastern, Jewish and even Mexican influences. We can assure you it's unlike anything you might have heard before...

So, like the first album, then?

Harnk
02-21-2005, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by DrinkTeaEatBooks

the album is a mindmelding concoction of silent movie soundtracks, Central European, Middle Eastern, Jewish and even Mexican influences. We can assure you it's unlike anything you might have heard before...

So, like the first album, then?

very much so.

nice man washing
02-22-2005, 09:42 PM
I saw that advertised in The Wire magazine and was very excited. I really must revisit the debut disc.

john
02-24-2005, 12:20 AM
I just got a copy of this in the mail today. "Darkness at Noon" is really an intensely beautiful recording. Have no doubts this will make your hair stand on end.

Harnk
02-24-2005, 05:29 AM
Originally posted by john
I just got a copy of this in the mail today. "Darkness at Noon" is really an intensely beautiful recording. Have no doubts this will make your hair stand on end.

the debut did that to me. I have a feeling I'm going to enjoy this one a bit more.

Salman
02-24-2005, 08:55 AM
I can't wait to purchase this one.
I was totally taken by the first album.

phil
02-24-2005, 07:14 PM
i really like it. more accordion-based than the first album (which was more piano-based). almost all instrumental (again like the first one), but without so many sound effects/noises. it sounds more compositional than improvisational.

Andy McAllister
02-24-2005, 08:36 PM
i noticed on the sxsw web-site that 'hawk and a hacksaw' will be playing sxsw this year, so i am EXCITED!

taylor
02-24-2005, 08:40 PM
and they're playing at a 21+ venue.

just like om.

fuck me and my inability to age at a rate more quickly than time allows.

Harnk
02-25-2005, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by phil
i really like it. more accordion-based than the first album (which was more piano-based). almost all instrumental (again like the first one), but without so many sound effects/noises. it sounds more compositional than improvisational.

so is it available yet?

john
02-25-2005, 09:18 AM
The release date is March 29th - I'll see if I can get some from Leaf to sell on the Cloud Recordings site.

The SXSW show is going to be on March 17th. They want to play more shows, but can't find a booking agent to help them, and can't find any bands that will agree to let them open for them on a tour. If anybody out there has any ideas about places they could play (it's now a duo, with violin!), between Austin and Athens let me know because I really want to get them up here.

phil
02-25-2005, 10:57 AM
so is it available yet?

no, i got a promo copy from jeremy.

The release date is March 29th - I'll see if I can get some from Leaf to sell on the Cloud Recordings site.

The SXSW show is going to be on March 17th. They want to play more shows, but can't find a booking agent to help them, and can't find any bands that will agree to let them open for them on a tour. If anybody out there has any ideas about places they could play (it's now a duo, with violin!), between Austin and Athens let me know because I really want to get them up here.

How about Memphis? that was where i met him, but he ought to play the Hi-Tone instead of Young Ave. Deli, where he played last time. The Hi-Tone (http://www.hitonememphis.com/) is a much better venue.

[Edited on 25.2.2005 by phil]

john
02-25-2005, 11:17 AM
How about Memphis? that was where i met him, but he ought to play the Hi-Tone instead of Young Ave. Deli, where he played last time. The Hi-Tone (http://www.hitonememphis.com/) is a much better venue.

Thanks!

moon
02-25-2005, 12:42 PM

new orleans... howlin' wolf and twiropa are some good venues... my band would also love to open for them if they come down here, if they would like... we're very psychedelic e6-like... mostly like the olivias/circulatory system/nmh... also influenced by syd barrett, john lennon, george harrison, brian wilson, etc...

$
02-28-2005, 08:14 PM
What I heard was that Darkness at Noon was just one big long 45-minute track. Did I, fellows, hear true or false?

wingedfeetxc
02-28-2005, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by $
What I heard was that Darkness at Noon was just one big long 45-minute track. Did I, fellows, hear true or false?

no, somebody posted it on indietorrents as one big 45 minute track; you had to use a .cue file to divide it into the actual songs. That is where I assume where what you heard orginated.

Tuff Ghost
03-24-2005, 11:53 AM
The radio station I work for just got this in and I want to get my hands on it for review!

yayablahblah
04-26-2005, 09:29 PM
this album is soo great
could be one the best things ive heard all year
soo great that i hope you
already have it

call me hi
04-27-2005, 10:27 AM
my stupid record store still has yet to order it for me

Harnk
04-27-2005, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by call me hi

buy straight from the source..their incentive to put a boogy on it is high for them. I always buy direct from label/band.

call me hi
04-27-2005, 12:17 PM

Originally posted by call me hi

buy straight from the source..their incentive to put a boogy on it is high for them. I always buy direct from label/band.

yeah i like to buy directly but if the record store orders it i don't have to pay shipping and they also give discounts on new cd's and since they didn't order it when it was new they're going to give me the discount price.